Restoring my childhood, JVC RC-M90W

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerharis

May 7, 2016
ralrein1 said:
Yes sir,a good toothbrush will do the trick. Hard crusty dirt can be dislodged with round tooth picks as well.
trippy1313 said:
I found making a paste with water and baking soda, and vigorously using a tooth brush works REALLY good.
I used this trick to clean the plastic body parts, it worked very well. It didn't work on the knobs, hence I used a small rotary tool's wire brush, Worked great.

MyOhMy said:
Nice work, they won't weigh as much now! :w00t: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Haha true :w00t:

blu_fuz said:
Any progress is good progress!
Project is going at snail's speed, but on the right direction.

caution said:
Someone on ebay was selling three of these as recently as last month, perhaps he has more?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262330169038
At office now, no access to ebay, will check when I get home. Thanks for the link bro..

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Once this project is over and done with I know you will even love your M-90 even more.

Good Luck bro'.

My M-90 will need to see the Tech pretty soon.

110715339QykraIVU.jpg

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Yeah SLO,

It appears that there is a problem on a channel. When i switch from stereo to mono both speakers works, but one left vu meter stays to the far right and does not move and in stereo one speaker works and the vu are on the far left. Not sure if it's a pot or what? I will say that I tune to this FM station that some of my other newer tuner equipment does not reach and this baby does. The sound still blows me away. I just hope that this can be fixed which I'm pretty sure it can be so I can keep enjoying my baby. I will open her up and use some deoxIT but I think there's more to it than just doing that.

Sorry bikerharis don't mean to hijack your thread.

bikerharis

May 7, 2016
ford93 said:
Yeah SLO,

It appears that there is a problem on a channel. When i switch from stereo to mono both speakers works, but one left vu meter stays to the far right and does not move and in stereo one speaker works and the vu are on the far left. Not sure if it's a pot or what? I will say that I tune to this FM station that some of my other newer tuner equipment does not reach and this baby does. The sound still blows me away. I just hope that this can be fixed which I'm pretty sure it can be so I can keep enjoying my baby. I will open her up and use some deoxIT but I think there's more to it than just doing that.

Sorry bikerharis don't mean to hijack your thread.
No problem mate, I do have the same problem when I adjust the bass, I guess its the Bass pot issue for me. That thing rotates without any friction.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Probably the case of the plastic tabs holding the potentiometer feelers in place. That is the achilles heal of the M90, those pesky pots!

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
Hi some issues on these are the switches which get oxidized very badly sometimes cleaning them with a good bath of deoxit will bring then back to life. there is a switch on the back which says phono / line in i noticed that mine had a channel cutting out i cleaned it with deoxit and played with it and the channel roared back to life,,hopefully you can find some parts for that m90 even a beater case would do

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
monchito said:
Hi some issues on these are the switches which get oxidized very badly sometimes cleaning them with a good bath of deoxit will bring then back to life. there is a switch on the back which says phono / line in i noticed that mine had a channel cutting out i cleaned it with deoxit and played with it and the channel roared back to life,,hopefully you can find some parts for that m90 even a beater case would do
I agree 100%. That case of M90 is way beyond repair. It needs a better case. I won't waste too much time on that case.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
The more I look at the damage to the case, I agree too. You can fix some knarly damage but this is really hacked apart and to make it look and feel correct, and be strong enough would be a nightmare.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Hopefully you can find a another one with less cosmetic damage and you will be in a much better situation because then you'll have extra parts! :yes:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I had to buy a couple 'junk' M90's to rebuild a couple others, this is really a bad idea because they are SOOOO EXPENSIVE, even the worst of the worst fetch $400-$600 all day. I don't think he wants to be $400+ into fixing the radio.

If I were you, I would find some other plastic to graft into place. Even if it isn't perfect, just something would be better than the chunk missing.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
blu_fuz said:
If I were you, I would find some other plastic to graft into place. Even if it isn't perfect, just something would be better than the chunk missing.
I agree. It might be a pain and time consuming try to make a patch piece, but it'd be way cheaper, and actually probably faster anyways than waiting for a reasonably price parts box to come along.

bikerharis

May 7, 2016
Hey guys, nothing has been done yet. Cleaned the boards and stuff. thats it. One of my friends in US will order the speaker surrounds for me. It will reach me by August hopefully. Will be getting the mechanical control IC from ebay.

blu_fuz said:
I had to buy a couple 'junk' M90's to rebuild a couple others, this is really a bad idea because they are SOOOO EXPENSIVE, even the worst of the worst fetch $400-$600 all day. I don't think he wants to be $400+ into fixing the radio.

I am going to graft some plastics on top, thats the best option for me. Waiting for my tool kits to arrive. Till then the project will be in idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.