Restoring my childhood, JVC RC-M90W

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
This radio has a really nice backstory and odds to get your actual radio back are very small, you were lucky there. Box is in awful condition, but if it has some signs of life then i think you´re off a good start. With help of world´s best audio forum and our wonderful members i suppose you´ll get it all sorted out well.

I was super lucky to get my original Lasonic TRC 931 back from my friend after it had gone through 3 people, my sister, brother and friend. Ended up being in my friends basement at his parents house. 😛

Bad Boy Bill

bikerharis

May 7, 2016
crazygamer said:
This radio has a really nice backstory and odds to get your actual radio back are very small, you were lucky there. Box is in awful condition, but if it has some signs of life then i think you´re off a good start. With help of world´s best audio forum and our wonderful members i suppose you´ll get it all sorted out well.
It wasn't so hard to get my original one back, the mechanic was my uncle's friend. It was given for servicing, later left unattended for years.
I don't know how long this is going to take to restore back to a proper shape.

bikerharis

May 7, 2016
Small update,
Did some cleaning today with Baking Soda. It looks way cleaner now. Somebody can help me how to remove Tweeter grille and that metal piece below the tweeter? marked on the pic below)
IMG_20160528_164353.jpg

after washing and cleaning
IMG_20160528_164340.jpg

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Excellent progress.

I usually use a very small flat blade screwdriver to pop the metal trim up aroun the radio band buttons and power button. Don't force them at all because they are thin aluminum and will mangle and bend like crazy.

The tweeter grills you bend the tabs straight in the radio and push them from inside the radio. If you have to, you can try to pry them up from the front.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
baddboybill said:
I was super lucky to get my original Lasonic TRC 931 back from my friend after it had gone through 3 people, my sister, brother and friend. Ended up being in my friends basement at his parents house. Bad Boy Bill
I didn't know that Bill, that's pretty darn cool (and lucky) as well.

I hope this M90 turns out pretty good for you man. I'll be watching this often.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
What an intro! Theres gotta be no better feeling like having your OG radio from your childhood, Im one of the guys who have just "replaced" my childhood boomboxes. Great story for a great boombox, welcome to Boomboxery brother, get that sucker boomin again ;-)

bikerharis

May 7, 2016
Robb said:
Good, luck but Id rather find a better cleaner one !
Thanks bro, This boombox is my childhood, I was not a physically sound kid, so I spent my days with this boombox when my friends spent time on outdoor games.
I don't know what is going to be the result of this project. Whatever it is, I will keep this with me instead of buying another one.
trippy1313 said:
Haha, you already did!!!

But if I had the same story, being my childhood radio, and finding it years later, I'd do the same thing and try to fix it up.
Exactly. :)

Cpl-Chronic said:
Hey! Wow! Lots of work....looks like you're determined to ressurrect this monster....

I've got a good working chassis for parts. with tuner, amp, switches, deck etc. for sale....as is..

deck needs work to get running I think..

https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/25186-for-sale-jvc-m90-chassis-complete-as-is/

Make me an offer for the whole thing & we'll figure out the added shipping costs...
Hi, thanks for the offer buddy, I'm aware that you wont be selling individual parts. but I don't think I would need the whole thing, I just need a few parts.

bikerharis

May 7, 2016
Update:

I was busy for few days, was out of town.

Cleaned the chrome plated parts with vinegar, they look nice now, but with scratches. Cleaned the chassis,

I remember, when the deck control gave up the technician said that the control IC has gone kaput, and they were searching for the IC back then which they failed to find one. Now I noticed that the control IC (IC 701) is missing on the mechanical control board. So I now have to source this IC as well.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
bikerharis said:
Update:

I was busy for few days, was out of town.

Cleaned the chrome plated parts with vinegar, they look nice now, but with scratches. Cleaned the chassis,

I remember, when the deck control gave up the technician said that the control IC has gone kaput, and they were searching for the IC back then which they failed to find one. Now I noticed that the control IC (IC 701) is missing on the mechanical control board. So I now have to source this IC as well.
Someone on ebay was selling three of these as recently as last month, perhaps he has more?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262330169038

Status
Not open for further replies.