Restoring a BEAST! The Rexcel JCX-1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Wow this thread popped up and exploded!

Great work once again! Hey that battery door metal looks familiar. Same stuff or different?

I was thinking with your channel problem, did you figure out the cause? On one of my 931's, I had a dirty contact in the "external speaker" jacks, cause only one side to work. And a dirty headphone jack on my little panasonic, causing the same issue.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Mystic Traveller said:
Thorough job done - respect! :thumbsup:
Thanks M.T.

MyOhMy said:
That's quite a job you've taken on with a monster of a BB and I feel your commitment and skills are producing excellent results. I'm pleased you're showing details in the pictures, it's all very interesting a great help for the newbies like me.
Thanks M.O.M. I have seen some of your threads as well, and it's need to see your digging into your radio's to get them worked out! I spend hours reading those threads, probably my favorite on the site :-D

k2j said:
Yes indeed :bow: . Chris also has some good youtube videos of boombox restoration/repair too. And I can't forget destruction as well (egg vs shotgun :lol: )
Ha Ha, yes, Chris vs the egg! That egg got what was coming to it :lol:

BoomboxLover48 said:
Great work Chris! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks BL48!!!!

im_alan_partridge said:
What a monster, I love the sharpie cassette keys, great idea :thumbsup:
I'm still hoping that some keys will show up down the line. It's still totally possible to get the decks working again, but it's gonna need keys first :-/

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
trippy1313 said:
Wow this thread popped up and exploded!

Great work once again! Hey that battery door metal looks familiar. Same stuff or different?

I was thinking with your channel problem, did you figure out the cause? On one of my 931's, I had a dirty contact in the "external speaker" jacks, cause only one side to work. And a dirty headphone jack on my little panasonic, causing the same issue.
YES!!!!! That metal should look familiar. I still need to work on my tabs, but it's such a pleasure to work with compared to the stainless steel I was using. I also used it to make the covers for the deck keys in this project.

So everyone knows what we are talking about, trippy1313 (Ken) was kind enough to send me some metal panels that he painstakingly cut up so I could make battery doors and other parts. Because of his kindness, I was able to make the battery door for David's Rexcel and because of Ken, it didn't cost David anything (I didn't have to buy materials).

See Ken, your kindness has found it's way into another members radio!

Just another reason why Boomboxery ROCKS! Everyone working together brings them back! :thumbsup: :rock: :thumbsup: :rock:

Okelly

Member (SA)
Aug 23, 2015
Great resto! Just curious, what is the kind and thickness was the metal used for the battery cover? Looks like I may need to also make one for one of my project boxes... Thumbs up Chris 👍

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
trippy1313 said:
Haha. Right on. You guys are welcome. Glad they came in handy. Good to know it worked well. I'll keep trying to save some from time to time.
Cool man, I am already about halfway through what you sent me :w00t:

Okelly said:
Great resto! Just curious, what is the kind and thickness was the metal used for the battery cover? Looks like I may need to also make one for one of my project boxes... Thumbs up Chris
Thanks Okelly, I'm not sure the gauge, I believe it is from a car hood????

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Cool man, I am already about halfway through what you sent me :w00t:

Thanks Okelly, I'm not sure the gauge, I believe it is from a car hood????
Hyundai quarter panel actually. I'd guess it was around 20 gauge? But it's HSS (high strength steel) as opposed the mild steel you get at the hardware stores. Way different stuff.

Sorry to deter away from the main topic guys. My bad.

Any decisions on LED's?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
trippy1313 said:
Hyundai quarter panel actually. I'd guess it was around 20 gauge? But it's HSS (high strength steel) as opposed the mild steel you get at the hardware stores. Way different stuff.

Sorry to deter away from the main topic guys. My bad.

Any decisions on LED's?
Not a problem, part of the build.

Nothing yet on the LED's :-/

Okelly

Member (SA)
Aug 23, 2015
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a charcoal grey Hyundai...if you see one with a battery cover sized hole with Michigan plates, it wasn't me!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a charcoal grey Hyundai...if you see one with a battery cover sized hole with Michigan plates, it wasn't me!

Ha ha, it's out there some where

Status
Not open for further replies.