PROJECT: Louder Blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Hey Guys,

I have been working on the LOUDER BLASTER project and I have a bit of bad news....It appears that the amp has received some damage in all of the handling that took place between all the hands that it passed through. I wired it up for testing and it powers up, the LED light comes on, but nothing comes out of the amp.
:'-( :sad:

The good news is, they still make this model and they are only $32 brand new, so I will be ordering one tomorrow, should have it in a week.
;-) :-P

It's a bit of a let down, but not enough to spoil the project. :-/

All good things must come in time. I still have lots to work on in other area's, so while that is coming I will look into curing some other issues.

With the exception of the cost of the radio it's self, everything else has been FREE, so a small $32 investment isn't too bad!

I will let you know when the amp arrives!

Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Hey Guys,

I have been working on the LOUDER BLASTER project and I have a bit of bad news....It appears that the amp has received some damage in all of the handling that took place between all the hands that it passed through. I wired it up for testing and it powers up, the LED light comes on, but nothing comes out of the amp.

The good news is, they still make this model and they are only $32 brand new, so I will be ordering one tomorrow, should have it in a week.

All good things must come in time. I still have lots to work on in other area's, so while that is coming I will look into curing some other issues.

With the exception of the cost of the radio it's self, everything else has been FREE, so a small $32 investment isn't too bad!

Sorry to hear that bro, but now even more psyched to see the new one!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Strānj-Bōōmbŏks said:
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Hey Guys,

Sorry to hear that bro, but now even more psyched to see the new one!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks man, it's basically the same amp (hopefully!) Then I can move forward towards getting this done! I'm really hoping to have it for Thanksgiving with the family!

Alf said:
I just found this thread... Oh MY GOODNESS!!!!!! Awesome!!
Thanks Alf, Stay Tuned....It's going to get LOUD IN HERE!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
ANOTHER UPDATE:

The amp has been ordered and will be here in a week and a half. It's coming from the east coast. They offered FREE shipping if I take ground UPS, so I'll have to wait a little longer. No biggie!

Retro Addict

Member (SA)
May 12, 2009
England
Oh my god!!! I have to say, I've been smiling constantly while watching all of your videos. You ROCK, Chris!!! I'd love to meet you and talk all things bass and highs!! Especially bass with your GPX monster present! That thing would probably have your furniture rattling if you turned the car amplifier up, the boombox bass control up, and the volume up high. You may even break your windows!!

The work that you've done, and the skills you have to undertake such an amazing task are awe-inspiring. Really. I'm shocked, really I am. Fabulous work!!

Even if it's now close to the GF-777 in weight, I would be mighty proud to carry that box and BLAST some cool 80s tunes. I bet you can't wait to inflict it on a very unsuspecting public!!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Retro Addict said:
Oh my god!!! I have to say, I've been smiling constantly while watching all of your videos. You ROCK, Chris!!! I'd love to meet you and talk all things bass and highs!! Especially bass with your GPX monster present! That thing would probably have your furniture rattling if you turned the car amplifier up, the boombox bass control up, and the volume up high. You may even break your windows!!

The work that you've done, and the skills you have to undertake such an amazing task are awe-inspiring. Really. I'm shocked, really I am. Fabulous work!!

Even if it's now close to the GF-777 in weight, I would be mighty proud to carry that box and BLAST some cool 80s tunes. I bet you can't wait to inflict it on a very unsuspecting public!!
Hey Retro, thank you for all the kind words. When I get this put back together I will get it on a scale and see what it really weighs. It's still VERY portable. It may not be the radio of choice for say the local "Boom Box Parade" but if you've carried a 777 around, then you know where we're at!

As for the power, I am a bit worried that the radio case it's self might break. I'm actually looking for new screws for the speakers, longer ones to get more BITE on the casing. After all, it is 30 year old plastic.

I really want to get this finished as I have other projects waiting, but I don't want to have two or more radio's opened up at the same time.

These amps are so cheap, I'm looking around at my collection thinking...."Hmmmmm Whats next? Maybe a hot rodded Lasonic TRC-920?" :w00t:

MONOLITHIC

No Longer Active
May 6, 2009
Illadelph, East Coast
twitter.com
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
These amps are so cheap, I'm looking around at my collection thinking...."Hmmmmm Whats next? Maybe a hot rodded Lasonic TRC-920?" :w00t:
I don't think it can be done 'cause the space in that box is packed so tight. :-/

On the other hand, if you can locate some 6" flat woofers... :hmmm:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MONOLITHIC said:
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
I don't think it can be done 'cause the space in that box is packed so tight. :-/

Did you just say it couldn't be done? :w00t: I may have to take that as a CHALLENGE! :lol: :lol: :-D :yes:

JVC Floyd said:
these are re built wrecks

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
JVC F,

Those are awesome build up's. I would love to hear those things blasting! Are they still portable? What is the all black one? Or what was it?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
MONOLITHIC said:
Lasonic TRC-920 said:

Did you just say it couldn't be done? :w00t: I may have to take that as a CHALLENGE! :lol: :lol: :-D :yes:

JVC Floyd said:
these are re built wrecks

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
JVC F,

Those are awesome build up's. I would love to hear those things blasting! Are they still portable? What is the all black one? Or what was it?

all these boxes are powered with 18 volt batteries ,the black box used to be a jvc m90.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JVC Floyd said:
all these boxes are powered with 18 volt batteries ,the black box used to be a jvc m90.
I thought I had read that before. I bet that 200 watt 777 gets the job done! Man, I wish we lived closer so I could see that first hand.

Well, the amp finally shipped. It's coming from the east coast (to the west coast) via ground, so another week!

Status
Not open for further replies.