MONOLITHIC

No Longer Active
May 6, 2009
Illadelph, East Coast
twitter.com
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
MONOLITHIC said:
EXCELLENT WORK, CHRIS!!! :cool:

Wish I had the patience and knowhow to undertake such a project but when it gets that deep, that technical stuff bores/scares the hell outta me... I'd rather pay somebody else to do it. :-D

I have the General Sound version of that box. You almost couldn't have picked a better candidate for an upgrade 'cause there's a lot of space in there... A few years ago, I added MB Quart tweeters to mine... http://stereo2go.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f ... 002405/p/2 ... but never got around to adding woofers. I did buy and still have those Goldwood woofers tho. Still, an amplifier upgrade might be good for those tweeters 'cause even tho there was an improvement in sound, overall, the box doesn't sound so hot.

Yeah, the true test of any so-called "BOOM"box is can it handle an 808 bass kick... That one can obviously handle it very well. :thumbsup: :cool:

I get the feeling that's gonna be your main box, especially after it's 100% complete. ;-)
Hey Mono, would love to see pics of your GS. I have seen some other pictures of radios that are very similar. I love the layout and full sized tuner on this radio, but like you said, kind of an empty powerless box.

I'm really hoping to get this up and running at some point. And yes, this could be the out door radio I have in hand more then the others....I HOPE! We'll see.
If you click on the link, you see the box and the upgrade, but here's a few old pics anyway...

el cad said:
808 notes? Is that like from a Roland 808? I've never heard that term before.
Yeah, the Roland TR-808 was the first beat box to have that bass kick.

Perhaps the first Hip-Hop song to use the TR-808 (from 1983)...
[youtube]8TNH7_caSW0[/youtube]

Featured again on a classic from 1985...
[youtube]HxnQ1vv_CW8[/youtube]

On this RUN-DMC classic, but with a more sustained, drawn out kick...
[youtube]6GqTq4kLtiI[/youtube]

Sir Mix-A-Lot has a line talking about the 808 kick in this 1988 classic...
[youtube]YlarNcNFzLw[/youtube]

:cool:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MONOLITHIC said:
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
MONOLITHIC said:
EXCELLENT WORK, CHRIS!!! :cool:

Wish I had the patience and knowhow to undertake such a project but when it gets that deep, that technical stuff bores/scares the hell outta me... I'd rather pay somebody else to do it. :-D

I have the General Sound version of that box. You almost couldn't have picked a better candidate for an upgrade 'cause there's a lot of space in there... A few years ago, I added MB Quart tweeters to mine... http://stereo2go.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f ... 002405/p/2 ... but never got around to adding woofers. I did buy and still have those Goldwood woofers tho. Still, an amplifier upgrade might be good for those tweeters 'cause even tho there was an improvement in sound, overall, the box doesn't sound so hot.

Yeah, the true test of any so-called "BOOM"box is can it handle an 808 bass kick... That one can obviously handle it very well. :thumbsup: :cool:

I get the feeling that's gonna be your main box, especially after it's 100% complete. ;-)
Hey Mono, would love to see pics of your GS. I have seen some other pictures of radios that are very similar. I love the layout and full sized tuner on this radio, but like you said, kind of an empty powerless box.

I'm really hoping to get this up and running at some point. And yes, this could be the out door radio I have in hand more then the others....I HOPE! We'll see.
If you click on the link, you see the box and the upgrade, but here's a few old pics anyway...
[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

el cad said:
808 notes? Is that like from a Roland 808? I've never heard that term before.
Yeah, the Roland TR-808 was the first beat box to have that bass kick.

Perhaps the first Hip-Hop song to use the TR-808 (from 1983)...
[youtube]8TNH7_caSW0[/youtube]

Featured again on a classic from 1985...
[youtube]HxnQ1vv_CW8[/youtube]

On this RUN-DMC classic, but with a more sustained, drawn out kick...
[youtube]6GqTq4kLtiI[/youtube]

Sir Mix-A-Lot has a line talking about the 808 kick in this 1988 classic...
[youtube]YlarNcNFzLw[/youtube]

:cool:

This really is the same radio, yours just has LED's and a few minor differences.....It's a good looking radio.

One thing I really like is the size of the Volume Knob over the rest of the controls. It feels like you have some power in your hand (even though it didn't).

Thanks Mono

MKF

Member (SA)
Dec 13, 2009
baddboybill said:
:cool: :thumbsup: I had the same idea..just never got a donor to work on :-D

I had the same idea since 8 month , i had donor too since many month but I have enough time to realize my project .

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MKF said:
baddboybill said:
:cool: :thumbsup: I had the same idea..just never got a donor to work on :-D

I had the same idea since 8 month , i had donor too since many month but I have enough time to realize my project .
I hope you get a chance to work on your project. Time is the biggest issue with a project like this, but sometimes if you can get the time, you can realize your dream!

MKF said:
Congrats , it's a very very good job .
Thank you very much!

LLopez said:
:-D WOW man what a fantastic job. Love those 808 tones. :yes:
Thanks LL, 808 tones are a real challenge for a unit this old indeed, but part of the quest for improvement!

ford93 said:
Cool project Lasonic keep it going.
AND HERE IS THE UPDATE:

The amplifier is now at CIAO Wireless Communications in Ventura, California. They specialize in Communication Amplifiers for the military and aerospace industry and built the Communication Amplifiers for the Mars Rover that is currently on ....well....MARS!

Their top engineer is working out the math on the IC to have the machine shop make up a one off heat sink for this project!

How is that for an Up Grade? Hopefully in the next few weeks a part will be made that will help this amp stay cool under maximum load, after all, isn't that what BLASTING is all about, delivering the MAXIMUM volume!

Anyway, I will update you with pictures when I get the amp and heat sink back...

STAY TUNED!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
wwwyzzerdd said:
holy crap thats impressive, that makes me want to get ahold of another box to modify
Oh yes, but then once you get that one you will think "This one is too nice to modify, I better find another one to mod" and it keep going!

Enjoy!

Kennedy

Member (SA)
Aug 6, 2010
I love this project, I watched the all the videos and it's great that you shared the process with everyone here, top job :thumbsup:

The finished thing looks awesome, I wonder what it'll be worth when you've got it completely finished cos I haven't really seen anything like it. I'd love to know how the sound compares to the volume level of M90's and big Toshiba's . . . I look forward to the next installment of Project Louder Blaster! . . .

KND

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Kennedy said:
I love this project, I watched the all the videos and it's great that you shared the process with everyone here, top job :thumbsup:

The finished thing looks awesome, I wonder what it'll be worth when you've got it completely finished cos I haven't really seen anything like it. I'd love to know how the sound compares to the volume level of M90's and big Toshiba's . . . I look forward to the next installment of Project Louder Blaster! . . .

KND
Thanks Kennedy, I'm still waiting on the machine shop to have time to work on my heat sink. I will bug them next week.

Hopefully I will have this project completed soon. I want to play with it!

beatbox

Member (SA)
May 28, 2009
Dude, I've seen a lot of radios and worked on almost all of them. Done a couple of mods too, but this. THIS RIGHT HERE is an absolute pleasure to behold. The videos were cool, uncluttered and insightful. The radio chosen to mod has the power now to match it's looks, and you sir are a credit to the Boombox world.

I also love repairing radios barechested.

Well done! Yes very well done. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
beatbox said:
Dude, I've seen a lot of radios and worked on almost all of them. Done a couple of mods too, but this. THIS RIGHT HERE is an absolute pleasure to behold. The videos were cool, uncluttered and insightful. The radio chosen to mod has the power now to match it's looks, and you sir are a credit to the Boombox world.

I also love repairing radios barechested.

Well done! Yes very well done. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Thank you brother, I really appreciate the kind words....As for the bare chested...well, it was HOT! And I think it shows my love for the radio! :lol:

I am hoping to have an update for this project soon. I am still waiting for the machine shop to finish the heat sink. They are doing it for free, so I can't complain....

How ever, I do have an small update. I spoke with the machinist last Wednesday and he was working out the final details. Once I have the amp and parts back, I will be able to show everyone what he is doing and how this is going to be very cool.

I reiterated that the point of this project is to be able to run the amplifier at full capacity indefinitely. Neither the engineer nor the machinist know what this amplifier is going into. All they know is that it is for a high performance application and that it's ability to perform at it's maximum are crucial to the project. Both these men worked on the Mars Rover communication amplifiers as well as countless other military and NASA projects. It really is a privileged to have these level of minds working on this.

Hopefully I will get this project finished before Thanksgiving as I want to take it to my brothers place in Reno, Nevada to do some holiday BLASTING!

And to answer that nagging question....yeah, it's probably going to eat batteries by the fist full :yes: :-/ :lol: :-P

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I got the amp back from the machine shop and all I can say is WOW! The machinist, Denis did an amazing job.

The heat sink is a finned piece of aluminum the size of the amp, with Teflon posts to keep it from touching the amp board components.

I will be back later today to post pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.