Power you can SEE! Sony FH-7 Reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Great review, Norm! It's always a marvellous learning experience when you post something like this
that explains just how all the magic happens.

I have an FH-100W, does this use the same deally?

Rock On.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Not sure glucifer. Those FH-100's don't seem to be that common over here and I was never that interested in that model because they look like they use more plastic (typical cheapening of manufacturing methods called progress) than I like. But maybe I'm wrong and it's the same? :hmmm: :huh: Maybe you can take the cover off your amp (the TA part) and show us what's inside?

Superduper

Member (SA)
Gluecifer said:
Ok!

There's a job for Wednesday!
It's really easy. 4 screws I think is all.

Here is a Mk-II that I recently picked up on the cheap. The deck doesn't work (they never do as the belt routing config seems to require good cond belts to work good) and due to complexity, few DIYer's mess with them) and it was missing the speaker brackets and handle which kept the price low but I had a parts box which I wanted to get rid of anyway so it was a perfect opportunity for me. The charcoal ones seems to be harder to find than the silver ones, even though the dark ones are the ones frequently depicted in photos on the web. Just like all my other ones, it sounds awesome!

Attack of the Giant Killer Sony! :w00t: :lol: :lol:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
i opened up my FH-100W but couldn't get a pic of mine.
Mine's mounted upside down and obscured by other components, but I can see it on the right angle
it says: STK4152 II (as in Mk II)

Heres a shot from above:

Never ever get sick of the looks or sound of this one...

Rock On.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I was at Norm's house today and that Sony has ridiculous power!! No 1 piece even comes close. This thing will destroy an M90, not even in the same category. The sound that comes from this box is truly incredible. The richness and detail at very low levels is truly amazing. The bass pounds with little effort and the mids and highs are clear and detailed. The soundstage and overall separation are second to none. This is a boombox for audiophile listeners. At near to full volume if there is any distortion my ears could not hear it....just a wonderful box to listen to at any volume. The M90 has wonderful sound but it simply does not compare to this box...kind of like comparing my Dodge Charger to my Dodge Viper...they are both nice to look at and very fast but when the Viper is on a completely different level in all aspects.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
mellymelsr said:
I was at Norm's house today and...
Again?! :w00t: It must be nice to just hop in the car and go see Norm. :yes: ;-) Hell, if he lived near me, I'd probably just set up a campsite in his back yard. :-D

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
need to ask --as this is now a very interesting model -- :hmmm:
like nobody here has even given so much praise to the sound quality of any other box -
right ??

what 'non dc' box will this compare to ?
is there an ac only shelf system at this same compact size -
that sounds as good or better ??

like something by yamaha or pioneer or ???

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
I like seeing the various amps & heat sinks norm!!
Cool!!
One stero that is incredibly powerful & heavy as anything is the PC-55!! I have the 'C' and the 'JW'!!
They kick some serious wattage! :yes:
I've eyed those FH-7's but again want a fully outdoor boomer!!
Cool photos!
How about photos of speaker magnets and spiders!!! Now there's something!! That's for the music on "The Other End"!! :lol: :yes:
Have a good week-GB. :-) :yes:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
mellymelsr said:
I was at Norm's house today and that Sony has ridiculous power!! No 1 piece even comes close. This thing will destroy an M90, not even in the same category. The sound that comes from this box is truly incredible. The richness and detail at very low levels is truly amazing. The bass pounds with little effort and the mids and highs are clear and detailed. The soundstage and overall separation are second to none. This is a boombox for audiophile listeners. At near to full volume if there is any distortion my ears could not hear it....just a wonderful box to listen to at any volume. The M90 has wonderful sound but it simply does not compare to this box...kind of like comparing my Dodge Charger to my Dodge Viper...they are both nice to look at and very fast but when the Viper is on a completely different level in all aspects.

Hi Melly-This is why one of these is on my "Must Have" list!!
I know it's not a true outdoor boomer but can be made for it-There must be a way to implement a battery pack to be compatible with the power pack!! :hmmm:
I've come close to getting one of these-they look scary!! No doubt about it!!
I hope to have one by the end of the summer!
Have a great one-GB. :-) :yes: :-O :surf: :thumbsup: :agree: :choco: :breakdance: :cool:

Superduper

Member (SA)
The battery pack EBP-78 just takes standard D cells so nothing special. But 12 of them. Yep, count 'em, 12. So yes, it IS an outdoor box. But there are other boxes better suited for that purpose. On the other hand, rather than search years for the ever elusive EBP-78, go the Ira route -- Use a Gel cell with a power inverter and, to take a quote from Glucifer, rock on!

Superduper

Member (SA)
redbenjoe said:
need to ask --as this is now a very interesting model -- :hmmm:
like nobody here has even given so much praise to the sound quality of any other box -
right ??

what 'non dc' box will this compare to ?
is there an ac only shelf system at this same compact size -
that sounds as good or better ??

like something by yamaha or pioneer or ???
I never heard the pioneer and my yamaha is good but I don't think the speakers on the yamaha is as powerful or can handle as much power as these FH-7's, especially the Mk-II or Mk-III models. I also think the looks are just so sexy that the yamaha looks really plain by comparison.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
Fatdog said:
mellymelsr said:
I was at Norm's house today and...
Again?! :w00t: It must be nice to just hop in the car and go see Norm. :yes: ;-) Hell, if he lived near me, I'd probably just set up a campsite in his back yard. :-D
...having Norm nearby is like having the ultimate boombox store in your neighborhood...he has every grail imaginable and I get to listen to them so I can make an informed decision before purchasing a grail...and Norm has enough knowledge to make most of our heads explode...so it's always a pleasure to pay him a visit and talk... :-D

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
well -- :hmmm: :hmmm:
if this entire worldwide membership cant even name one similar size HOME SYSTEM that
sounds as good -- :huh:
then this sony 7 must be somthin' else !!!! :thumbsup:

Superduper

Member (SA)
:nonono: NOT a boombox for YOU Ira. Digital tuning requires a modern elementary school education to operate. Oldskool education does not quality.

So YOU will have to just satisfy yourself with the LESS powerful FH-3 or FH-5 series, or one of the other analog variations. BTW, did you see peppins FH-33? Analog tuner AND battery compartment! :w00t: WooHoo! :thumbsup:

Too bad less power. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.