POW! My 931 is gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
ford93 said:
Run-D.M.C. man I used to rock my boxes with their tunes still do and these guys represented Queens N.Y.C. my hometown! :breakdance:

Good luck on the interview hope it takes place.
When I close my eyes and think of that time period and Boomboxes, that's exactly what pops into my head. Run DMC and the streets of NY

Fatdog said:
Chris and Dave, thanks for being great ambassadors to the boombox collectors' community! Also, Chris, for representing the admin team of Boomboxery. :thumbsup: :rock: :hooray:

I can't wait to see where y'all go next!
Thank you Bobby, means allot. We're tying to talk about things that haven't been said and go places no one has gone. We have to do it now, it won't be too much longer before legends like this won't be taking the stage any more. Trying to write down those stories before they are gone for ever.

Ghettoboom767 said:
That's fantastic Chris! Happy to hear this and hanging out with cool musicians like that and sharing boom boxes.
Sounds like some of the stuff I did in the 80's.but it was cassettes and records as I didn't bring my Boombox into the city,usually clubs and yes I brought records.

This is a great story to hear Chris and what a nice guy you are to give him your 931 like that!
Man, I was thinking of you when we were back stage. I know you did allot of this stuff the first time it all went around!

Thanks for the kind words bro!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Dear me, I'm sooooooooooooooo impressed with this tale of biblical proportions! I can only imagine how y'all felt: the anticipation as the whole scenario evolved, pinching yourselves, the butterflies in the stomach routine, the mind and the body constantly trying to sync............

The way you told the story not only had me in a bit of a sweat (surely not?!) as the anticipation built but also made me feel a little emotional. The story had everything: Famous & respected people, humbleness, fun & excitement, emotion, kindness and fulfilment of a dream. I'd also like to say that the ending was pretty good too but I have a feeling that the end is somewhere in the future - if ever there is to be an end at all.

Thank you, all who made this thread possible, you've made my day with all you have done - every one of you. :yes: :smooch:

Radio-Active

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2015
NorCal Redwood Coast
Dude!!
Badass!!

The Crew's "Get out my house!" was my first hip-hop record. I used that song to boot late parties out!!

And Tony freakin' Hawk was there?!
I still SK8 and woulda' handed him a stinky Vans to sign.haha

Great tale man! Very jealous here...

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MyOhMy said:
Dear me, I'm sooooooooooooooo impressed with this tale of biblical proportions! I can only imagine how y'all felt: the anticipation as the whole scenario evolved, pinching yourselves, the butterflies in the stomach routine, the mind and the body constantly trying to sync............

The way you told the story not only had me in a bit of a sweat (surely not?!) as the anticipation built but also made me feel a little emotional. The story had everything: Famous & respected people, humbleness, fun & excitement, emotion, kindness and fulfilment of a dream. I'd also like to say that the ending was pretty good too but I have a feeling that the end is somewhere in the future - if ever there is to be an end at all.

Thank you, all who made this thread possible, you've made my day with all you have done - every one of you. :yes: :smooch:
Thank you M.O.M., I'm glad you were able to take the journey with us, even if it's only in story form. The story is not over yet!

Radio-Active said:
Dude!!
Badass!!

The Crew's "Get out my house!" was my first hip-hop record. I used that song to boot late parties out!!

And Tony freakin' Hawk was there?!
I still SK8 and woulda' handed him a stinky Vans to sign.haha

Great tale man! Very jealous here...
Yeah man, Tony Hawk is a hero of mine from way back in the day! The guy was super cool. Everyone was mobbing him for pictures and he just smiled and let everyone click away.

Radio-Active said:
Now Eddie Van Halen needs to sign the custom boombox. He was so cool then,and played on so many others albums.
There are a few people I would really like to meet and EVH is one. Not sure I could give up the EVH M70 though :lol: :blink: :blink:

UPDATE!

Members of the west coast crew, SLO, mellymelsr, Dr DER and myself have pitched in to buy a 5150 off of another midwest collector to give to Mr Mixx of 2 Live Crew, since that was his childhood box.. Originally the deal was for a working, but slightly worn Panasonic 5150. But when this collector heard what we were doing, he offered us a mint NIB 5150. I am currently rebuilding and rebelting a Sharp 8585 to go with it for Brother Marquis, this way they can both walk on stage and rock a box!

More on this as the story unfolds!

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Whaaaat?!? Wow that's crazy cool. I bethink Mr. Mixx will be blown away.

I was gonna ask if you guys would probably mod it for BT when you restore it. But an NIB radio, I highly doubt it.

And the 8989 is beautiful. BT on that one or nah?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Yet another update on this....

I got a phone call yesterday from DJ D-Bo, 2 Live Crew's manager. He wanted to thank me (???) for all the social media posts and pictures. The guy is simply amazing.

So, he tells me he is getting contacted by all these other people asking where they can get radio's "Like the ones you guys had". One of the people that called him to ask directly was VANILLA ICE! He is interested in getting a radio. So I asked for his D-Bo's email address, sent him links, including this one.

Who knows, the next interview might be.....I don't even want to say it out loud :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
trippy1313 said:
Wow! And it continues. You guys are really bringing the boombox "Back."

That sounds like some serious attention is happening.
Yeah man, this magazine is opening doors and minds

Get ready to cash out, prices are going to go through the roof!

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
I think you're onto something here Chris. Interviewing the artists about their own boxes from back in the day and then reuniting them with another example of their once prized boomer would be super interesting to their fans plus the artist gets to do the whole reminiscing thing that we all do ever day.

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Yeah man, this magazine is opening doors and minds

Get ready to cash out, prices are going to go through the roof!
Yes prices are going extreme down here already. Someone bid $1710 on a 777 last weekend. Started as a $1 reserve. Admittedly was only 2nd 1 iv seen for sale here and was very clean. I want 1 but not at that price. Ha

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Great pics David! Forgive me but who's that with the 550? Is that Miles?

Edit: I hit submit before I meant to.

That's awesome you got to meet these guys. This is getting big really fast. I'm interested to hear more about what happened. Keep it coming! What was this occasion again anyways. I'll go back and read up.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Maaan i thought meeting 2 Live was cool but DMC !!! He is one cool dude i would love to meet. I grew up listening to Run DMC and even still have two of my original cassettes bought on release days. I would love to have been there, can't wait to read more.

Dr DER

Member (SA)
Jan 30, 2015
Refferside Cali
This was at La Comic-Con DMC is a big comic head. He makes his own comics . it was also a viewing of Krush Groove which is why Kurtis Blow and DMC where they're at Comic-Con. We got invited to set up a couple of boxes for display for the viewing of the movie. DMC and Kurtis Blow were so excited to see the radios. We got to talk to them get them signed autographs. I also got there contact info four interviews for the magazine. Both guys were down to earth and extremely windy. Went back to the comic book booth and hung with them for a little while. So soon I will contact them and set up interviews for the magazine wish us luck.

Dr DER

Member (SA)
Jan 30, 2015
Refferside Cali
trippy1313 said:
Great pics David! Forgive me but who's that with the 550? Is that Miles?
Edit: I hit submit before I meant to.
That's awesome you got to meet these guys. This is getting big really fast. I'm interested to hear more about what happened. Keep it coming! What was this occasion again anyways. I'll go back and read up.
yes that is miles of the boom box creator. He is the one that hooked us up with this little deal. There will be more coming in the future.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
I gotta say I'm pretty jealous. Without you saying it, you can tell from the pics they're pretty chill guys.

I wish we weren't entering our rain season, this all really makes me want to bring my boxes to more public places/events. I've only really taken my 920 to a baseball game once, and that was a trip. A ton of comments and attention, all good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.