Post your "no-love" boxes here

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Albeit not a boombox, here's another radio that hasn't been used much in my house.

The irony in all of this is, when I fired it up for the photo, I discovered the CD control board (known for failing electrolytic caps) has started to cause issues after 16 years. The CD player skips and clicks until the caps heat up. Looks like I have another project. But when it's working, it really does sound amazing for it's size.

Still. It sits quietly with its VFD glowing the current time in the corner with a layer of dust upon it. I have a repaired board coming. After I repair it, maybe I will show it a little more love I guess.

IMG_20231226_184302.jpg

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
My GE 3-5267A.

There certainly isn't much hubbub on this model. Yet because it was my very 1st real boombox radio, it's special to me. When I look at this radio, I see my past. But I no longer recognize that person I used to be in the mirror. Good times, bad times, it was there through it all and I'm glad it can't talk :-)

While it is special to me for that reason, I have found myself neglecting to use it. Why? I have no idea. It plays just fine. It's a reminder of both the good and the bad. It's a mixed bag of emotions...but most are good memorable moments growing up and the people in my life. Girlfriends of long ago prior to my wife. Old friends. Some gone and some still here. And while I will never let it go no mater what, it finds itself here.

The original speakers started buzzing so it's now sporting Kenwood speakers with the all popular whizzer cones. it sounds as good as it ever did I suppose.

Added bonus photo of this radio on display along with the block-buster and other popular GE models available at the time.

It features a full logic motorized deck with feather touch controls. I was happy with it. It certainly made great recordings off of the radio and inputs and was very much so competition with what my other friends had at the time. Our block didn't have C100Fs and M90s. We had your average Joe's boombox radio on my street...and this one was one of the better ones in terms of cassette deck quality in my neighborhood.

We all have heard of Panasonics Ambience. Well, GE absolutely demolished Panasonic in that department with this model. This radio doesn't have the powerful Amp and volume of the RX models, but it's stereo accent is the best I have ever heard. I don't know how they did it, but in your house, it truly sounds like you have speakers behind you with certain songs and in the right space.

20231229_220010.jpg

FB_IMG_1685378491931.jpg

Last edited:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Isn't this the radio that got the nickname "elephant" because of its sloping top? Always thought these were interesting radios
That is correct! This one had the digital auto tuning and there is another one with the manual tuning. When the radio was working it was so good!
It is a real nightmare Inside this digital autotuning model. Very fragile and complicated electronics with a stack of PC boards one below the other.

Last edited:

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
I have a few that don't get much use or love.
Aiwa TPR945.

Telefunken CR8200 a.k.a. Poor mans M70.

And this rare Sansui FX-M10 mini.

And this big Sanwa 4600 a.k.a. Mars JR600.
Sansui stereo is not rare here in the UK - Sold under the Roberts brand & in Europe under many names! Always a few on eBay UK....Roberts RSRT-50 I think - they are a good generic machine, reliable if not a little underwhelming!

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Most of my radios don't see the light of day now, since i got older i just tend not to listen to music much anymore. and when i do i just sit and listen to my HiFi or sit with my Ear pods in playing music on my phone. i rather sit on the internet and watch Youtube videos. i still buy radios, but once i get them working i just put them in the corner or on a shelf and leave them there and go on to something else, but i just like to have them in my life. when i sell up i feel lost and it gives me anxiety

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
My GE 3-5267A.

There certainly isn't much hubbub on this model. Yet because it was my very 1st real boombox radio, it's special to me. When I look at this radio, I see my past. But I no longer recognize that person I used to be in the mirror. Good times, bad times, it was there through it all and I'm glad it can't talk :-)

While it is special to me for that reason, I have found myself neglecting to use it. Why? I have no idea. It plays just fine. It's a reminder of both the good and the bad. It's a mixed bag of emotions...but most are good memorable moments growing up and the people in my life. Girlfriends of long ago prior to my wife. Old friends. Some gone and some still here. And while I will never let it go no mater what, it finds itself here.

The original speakers started buzzing so it's now sporting Kenwood speakers with the all popular whizzer cones. it sounds as good as it ever did I suppose.

Added bonus photo of this radio on display along with the block-buster and other popular GE models available at the time.

It features a full logic motorized deck with feather touch controls. I was happy with it. It certainly made great recordings off of the radio and inputs and was very much so competition with what my other friends had at the time. Our block didn't have C100Fs and M90s. We had your average Joe's boombox radio on my street...and this one was one of the better ones in terms of cassette deck quality in my neighborhood.

We all have heard of Panasonics Ambience. Well, GE absolutely demolished Panasonic in that department with this model. This radio doesn't have the powerful Amp and volume of the RX models, but it's stereo accent is the best I have ever heard. I don't know how they did it, but in your house, it truly sounds like you have speakers behind you with certain songs and in the right space.

View attachment 57970

View attachment 57971
I would love one of those GE stereo's I love them & looks so good too!

Last edited:

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Sansui stereo is not rare here in the UK - Sold under the Roberts brand & in Europe under many names! Always a few on eBay UK....Roberts RSRT-50 I think - they are a good generic machine, reliable if not a little underwhelming!
That may be so in the U.K, but here in the U.S. they are rare as hens teeth.
Underwhelming???? Generic???? Not so much even though it is a mini after all.
I'm happy to have mine thank you!

Reactions: floyd

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
That may be so in the U.K, but here in the U.S. they are rare as hens teeth.
Underwhelming???? Generic???? Not so much even though it is a mini after all.
I'm happy to have mine thank you!
The UK version along with other brands, this was above average for a mini but generic? Yes! 100% - As you can see.......it's the same as yours!

Roberts RSR-50 Stereo Radio Recorder - May 2017 (4).jpg

Reactions: floyd