* Panasonic RX-DT680 line-in mod for phones/MP3 players*

Werewolfbox

Apr 8, 2021
USA
I just got a 680 and I want to preform this mod. I have never soldered any electronics before, but I'm not afraid to try.
What size/gauge/type of wire should I use?

Reactions: Killerpenetrator

Alex_Leo

Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver
Reviving this thread in regards to DT610
It looks like there's no seperate tape deck circuit as in dt680. I'm thinking if attaching to pins 5,6,7 to equalizer circuit, w303. Any dangers or voltage issues that might occur?
Screenshot_20220726-223942.png

Killerpenetrator

Oct 15, 2022
Mexico
Hello! Sorry if I revive this very old.
Just one question brother, is it just soldering three cables?
I think I will if it's just that. What caliber cable are you using?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
In the first post has 13 steps, as well as lots of pictures. they clearly show what cables are used - quite ordinary.
With the right tools and skill - this mod is done in about 1 hour.

Mr. Boombastic

Feb 23, 2023
Canada
It's been 9 years since this thread was started. This definitely shows how good and reliable dt680 is. It could last for a lot longer than we can imagine. I have been in the hunt for this box for such a long time and finally got it just recently with the tape decks not working. I was able to fix tape 1 and it's working perfectly now. I might try fixing the other deck but for now I added line in. I followed James instructions (thanks James for sharing). Now I can hook up a bluetooth receiver or crhomecast audio or anything that plays music. :) Thank you eveyone for the inspiration to make this mod despite all the wide selection of bluetooth speakers in the market today. I just love the look and sound of 680. Classic..

Mr. Boombastic

Feb 23, 2023
Canada
I just had a funny feeling about why Panasonic did not include line input for DT680. I might do a silly thing like connecting the CD Out to Line In. LOL

Arbusto67

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2023
Italy
Hi everyone, few months ago I acquired a RX DT680 in good conditions and fully working (no remote) for little money and performed the line input mod using a 3,5mm jack socket. It works well but with the Lan player I use for testing my units I have to lower its output level, otherwise the sound is distorted. I wish to ask you guys if you think it's possibile to lower the level input by using small resistors between the input jack and the pins to which it's connected and, if the answer is yes, which ohm value. Thanks a lot!

fingersmaloy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
Just a note to say thanks very much to OP for this guide. The CD player on my unit has been dying a slow death, sadly, but I successfully completed this mod last weekend despite pretty iffy soldering skills, and now I'm getting a lot more use out of the boombox.

Still a little sad since I originally bought this thing for the express purpose of playing CDs, but it's still nice to salvage it as a music player. Maybe one day someone'll make new lasers compatible with old stereos. Anyway thanks!!

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Awesome to see this, although i no longer own a Dt680, i think they are real nice radios, Nice Soft Gorgeous mellow bass and lovely treble. Love them.. Cool that you shared this Jimmy.