* Panasonic RX-DT680 line-in mod for phones/MP3 players*

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Great work detailing the whole process. I worked on a sharp boomer with cd disconnect the cd power connector and bridged the cd out RCA eternal connectors. Sweet. So the marked cd out is now line in.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Well done Hardman. It's an easy mod for a DIYer!! :-)
Jimmy, all I could say is the Panny thumps REAL HARD with that mod!
This put some "famous ones" in a Damm Shame place... ...period!

Thanks again bro!

Cheers.

guyo12345

Apr 16, 2016
This was my very first mod and against your recommendation to avoid using tape I spliced and taped my conductors to the wires that lead to those pads as I lack a multi-meter and am not yet comfortable soldering (after removing the twisted wires and connector that leads to the cassette assembly and unwinding them for better access) and used lots of glue gun sticks to secure RCA jacks (on and around the surface making contact then obscene gobs of glue covering the jack sleeves and Panny case interior around them for strength) rather than a block and spliced into the braided shielding for my ground. I started my holes with sharp screws and finished them using a regular drill bit without issue. I then cut back the rubber surrounding the Jacks by about 1/8" to allow them to protrude further through the Panny case for a good connection with my plugs. It seems that either the pad next to ground was left and the next was right or I may have mixed the wires up but it all worked out.

Your Mod worked like a charm THANK YOU !

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Wow, your 'no solder, tape and hot glue' method sounds like a lot more work than my recommended method!
I'm stoked it's working for you. I had my own 680 at an all day outdoor event today and the line in came in real handy!

Enjoy and well done,

James.... :-)

JoeSun

Member (SA)
Apr 28, 2016
Sweden
Thank you so much, James!

Who could've thought that a guy from the other side of the globe, not only has the same model of boombox that I got from my father over 20 years ago, but he also did a well needed hack on it. And published it on the Internet.

I've never been able to get rid of RX-DT680, despite the fact that I had no real use of it; Cassette player stopped working years ago and all CD's at home are replaced by digital versions. So it has been collecting dust in the garage and that's where I found it the other day and thought "What a shame that it has not a Line In". And then I googled it and ended up here :)

I've never soldered before so, yesterday I went shopping a soldering starting kit, a RCA-Panel and a really long screwdriver.
After realizing how small those "connectors" on the motherboard was and how not-so-professional I am with the soldering tool I decided to simply cut off three of the wires that connects the cassette deck (the three that you mentioned of course) to the mainboard. Then I used three terminal blocks ( I think that's what they called) to connect these wires to four (ground 1->2) new ones. Finally soldered the wires to the RCA-Panel (and, yes it was a correct decision to not solder on the Mainboard.. I really need to practice..;-) ).

Tested it with my phone and.. Wow! Flawless!

Next step will be to connect a Raspberry Pi with Pi Musicbox to it so I can stream Spotify, local music, etc.

Once again - Thank you!

Best regards
Joel

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
JoeSun said:
Thank you so much, James!

Who could've thought that a guy from the other side of the globe, not only has the same model of boombox that I got from my father over 20 years ago, but he also did a well needed hack on it. And published it on the Internet.

I've never been able to get rid of RX-DT680, despite the fact that I had no real use of it; Cassette player stopped working years ago and all CD's at home are replaced by digital versions. So it has been collecting dust in the garage and that's where I found it the other day and thought "What a shame that it has not a Line In". And then I googled it and ended up here :)

I've never soldered before so, yesterday I went shopping a soldering starting kit, a RCA-Panel and a really long screwdriver.
After realizing how small those "connectors" on the motherboard was and how not-so-professional I am with the soldering tool I decided to simply cut off three of the wires that connects the cassette deck (the three that you mentioned of course) to the mainboard. Then I used three terminal blocks ( I think that's what they called) to connect these wires to four (ground 1->2) new ones. Finally soldered the wires to the RCA-Panel (and, yes it was a correct decision to not solder on the Mainboard.. I really need to practice..;-) ).

Tested it with my phone and.. Wow! Flawless!

Next step will be to connect a Raspberry Pi with Pi Musicbox to it so I can stream Spotify, local music, etc.

Once again - Thank you!

Best regards
Joel
Great work Joel!! I use my modded RX-DT680 all the time. You can't beat the wonderful performance from the 680 - particularly the bass!

Modifying the 680 for line in is definately worth the effort!

Enjoy,

James.... :-)

ScareDe2

Member (SA)
May 3, 2016
I don't understand why you would modify this boombox, you can simply connect your mp3 player into the mixing mic connection in front, or use a spliter to connect your mp3 player on the back of the dt680 and play a data cd while you play your mp3 player.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
ScareDe2 said:
I don't understand why you would modify this boombox, you can simply connect your mp3 player into the mixing mic connection in front, or use a spliter to connect your mp3 player on the back of the dt680 and play a data cd while you play your mp3 player.
The reason the mod is suggested is sound quality. The methods you suggest just don't sound as good.

And why churn through D cells burning out an old 26 year old CD player just to listen to an MP3 file?

Try the mod!

James... :-)

ScareDe2

Member (SA)
May 3, 2016
ok......... but it does sound very good, if you plug your mp3 player in the mixing mic and use the tape channel you have plenty of extra power that push the boombox to its limit. I just want to be sure every option are carefully tested before deciding to open it and proceed to modifications. If you say it does sound better then all right, it's a good reason.

:-P

I use low volume with my galaxy player and crank the boombox volume all the way up. I would be pleasantly surprised to get a better sound.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
You're having to use low volume on your MP3 player because you're using a circuit that is not designed to handle MP3 player input levels.

I tend to remember the mixing mic input only sending a mono signal to the amp. It's hardly a satisfactory solution.

But hey, if you're happy with mono, then just stick with that - it's all good. :-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Big thanks to James for this lthread. :thumbsup:
You are awesome! :bow: :bow: :bow:

The instructions were elaborate and easy to follow. It works like a charm!

I just finished one of my 680 for the line in modification. I had a audio video RCA line in socket from an old dish reciever (I'm a pack rat). It had a center screw perfect for mounting to the rear of 680.

Attachments

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Nice one!! The 680 is definately a box that's worth upgrading to a line in box!

Well done! :-) Can't believe this thread is almost 2 1/2 years old!

To all the naysayers out there, the RCA mod rocks so get stuck in - it's easy! :lol:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Nice one!! The 680 is definitely a box that's worth upgrading to a line in box!

Well done! :-) Can't believe this thread is almost 2 1/2 years old!

To all the naysayers out there, the RCA mod rocks so get stuck in - it's easy! :lol:

Thanks so much! :bow: I agree 100% with James! :yes: :yes: Plus line it sounds the BEST! :rock:
It got a wireless remote too! :-D
Made in 1994 so no recapping needed in the near future! :thumbsup:
A blue tooth upgrade will take it to the victory stand! My 680 love continues..

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
MyOhMy said:
Nice work, BoomboxLover48. :thumbsup: Maybe, one day, I'll pluck up the courage.to be as adventurous. :yes:
Thanks Christine! Credit goes to James. :yes: What do I know?

I waited enough to gain some courage to open it and work. Since I had two of them that itself gave more courage! :yes: :-D

Since it is a 90's box I knew things can go haywire because it is more advanced and sophisticated. The front face comes out easily once you remove all the screws from the back, open up the battery compartment also which got two more. For soldering one needs steady hands and a nice pointed tip. If you coat the wire tips with solder already and clean the solder tips after each soldering job things get easy.

I cannot stop listening to 680 now because of its nice bass at low volume. I never get yelled at in the morning for playing music loud and shake the floors. :w00t: :lol: :lol: I will do that when no one is home. Blast it from my home stereo and dance like a caveman!

amadeus

Member (SA)
Greetings friends. Sorry for the bad English, because I'm from the Crimea.
Today finished remaking its Panasonic RX-DT680. Used to modify the block 4 PCA (two cut unnecessary).

The wire used DAXX S54-1M, it is made of oxygen-free copper veins.

I put it in the middle of the ferrite ring, so there was less interference.

I connected to the bus wiring from a cassette deck unit
Through iBasso DX50 amazing sound)) :bow:
Many thanks for the work done jimmyjimmy19702010. :thumbsup:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
amadeus said:
Greetings friends. Sorry for the bad English, because I'm from the Crimea.
Today finished remaking its Panasonic RX-DT680. Used to modify the block 4 PCA (two cut unnecessary).

The wire used DAXX S54-1M, it is made of oxygen-free copper veins.

I put it in the middle of the ferrite ring, so there was less interference.

I connected to the bus wiring from a cassette deck unit
Through iBasso DX50 amazing sound)) :bow:
Many thanks for the work done jimmyjimmy19702010. :thumbsup:
Good job! Welcome to this beautiful forum on Planet Earth!

Please visit often and interact with all of us.

Cheers!
~Royce

tapemaster1.875

Sep 11, 2016
Oregon, United States
This worked out amazingly on mine! I've had this boombox for 4 years now, and I've always loved the sound of it, but was disappointed that it had no inputs. I used a tape adapter for my Iphone, but that causes hiss and runs the tape motor, wasting batteries and putting wear on the tape mech. I just wired it like u said and it's as clean sounding as the CD player! Kind of interesting when u play a tape with a device plugged in to the new ports, u can barely hear the tape, but when u unplug the device, tape sound comes back normally. Doesnt bother me none. I love this mod!

cattlethief1

Oct 11, 2016
Hello! First post just to say thanks for this mod,just completed and sounds amazing with my APTX receiver and chromecast,this was one of the main reasons I joined this site!Nice one. :rock:
Got a DS660 coming next week,hopefully do the same with that. :-D

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
cattlethief1 said:
Hello! First post just to say thanks for this mod,just completed and sounds amazing with my APTX receiver and chromecast,this was one of the main reasons I joined this site!Nice one. :rock:
Got a DS660 coming next week,hopefully do the same with that. :-D
Nice work cattlethief1,

Thanks for letting us know of your success,

Enjoy,

James..... :-)