Panasonic RX-C36L - Gettin' Down On It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
oldskool69 said:
Outstanding and detailed work. Panny parts are relatively easy to get because they proliferated pretty well across their product line. :-)
Thanks, oldskool69. I'm beginning to see the regularity in which the Panasonic range(s) become available and that's a good thing but..................if they're all let down by the same, reoccurring fault it becomes a headache!

Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Wow, what a repair!
It's amazing how little tiny issues can build up and collectively bring down a box. All those problems together can cause most people to just pitch it into the trash. But if you methodically go through each issue one at a time, you can end up with a really nice unit for mere pennies!

Just amazing the work you are doing. The detail your willing to go for really brings out the best of your collection.

Now, if you can just fight back the onslaught of kitty cats you'll have it made in the shade!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the supportive words, Lasonic TRC-920! As I have plenty of time on my hands, an abundance of these small, irritating repairs aren't an issue for me. If other folk decide to ditch their boxes 'cos of the problems that can only be a good thing (for ME!). You may have noticed the pattern in my resto's and it's something I've said a few times: I take a practical approach to solving the physical side of the problems, the problems I can see but, when it comes to anything requiring in-depth electrical knowledge or technical aspects for parts acquisition etc. then that's where I'm out of my depth!

After one case of malicious moggy mayhem moulding my miniscule machined manufactured..............(I'm running out of 'm' words now!) parts I now use lidded parts trays or a cloth to cover open trays.

Northerner said:
Wow, you rock. So impressed with the repairs you go for so early in your boombox collecting career...top work! You'll love the 828 when you get it...it's a beautiful and great sounding machine. Saw that one on eBay and was tempted even tho I have a minter because it was going stupidly cheap...glad you grabbed it! :)
More support from Northerner and very much appreciated they is too! I can hardly wait to hear the sweet sounds from the 828, I already have a pretty decent 656 I'm saving for a winter time service and that sounds so good it's on Kitchen Duty this week! I'm glad we weren't unknowingly trying to outbid each other on this, I almost went for another box which, it subsequently transpired, you actually won on the auction!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
goodman said:
Congrats for excelent restoration... :thumbsup:
Boombox is in very good condition now... :yes:
Thank you, goodman! It's fun doing these lil' ol' resto's but I'm still in awe at the tremendous skills, I've seen on this forum, that others exercise on some challenging resto's. Not only is the condition much improved but it's also in safe hands now - no skip or dumpster awaits this dude!

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
MyOhMy said:
Thanks, oldskool69. I'm beginning to see the regularity in which the Panasonic range(s) become available and that's a good thing but..................if they're all let down by the same, reoccurring fault it becomes a headache!

Thanks for the supportive words, Lasonic TRC-920! As I have plenty of time on my hands, an abundance of these small, irritating repairs aren't an issue for me. If other folk decide to ditch their boxes 'cos of the problems that can only be a good thing (for ME!). You may have noticed the pattern in my resto's and it's something I've said a few times: I take a practical approach to solving the physical side of the problems, the problems I can see but, when it comes to anything requiring in-depth electrical knowledge or technical aspects for parts acquisition etc. then that's where I'm out of my depth!

After one case of malicious moggy mayhem moulding my miniscule machined manufactured..............(I'm running out of 'm' words now!) parts I now use lidded parts trays or a cloth to cover open trays.

More support from Northerner and very much appreciated they is too! I can hardly wait to hear the sweet sounds from the 828, I already have a pretty decent 656 I'm saving for a winter time service and that sounds so good it's on Kitchen Duty this week! I'm glad we weren't unknowingly trying to outbid each other on this, I almost went for another box which, it subsequently transpired, you actually won on the auction!
Ha ha I'm sure we all end up bidding against each other at times lol...I would've been willing to pay a lot more than what the 828 went for, it was just having one already that stopped me. Was still very tempted tho as its a great box. Which one did you bid on but

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Northerner said:
Ha ha I'm sure we all end up bidding against each other at times lol...I would've been willing to pay a lot more than what the 828 went for, it was just having one already that stopped me. Was still very tempted tho as its a great box. Which one did you bid on but
......but........but.................but what??? Bid on but you won? I do remember that you won a box and started a topic for your new acquisition. I don't remember exactly which box it was now although it was quite recent (I have remember problems) and I'm not sure if I actually bid on the item or not. There was also another box with record player located in Hull (I think - did I tell you I have remember problems?).

(By the way, did I tell you I have remember problems!)

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Update:

I acquired a cheapo, rather rough looking, identical model for as a doner for parts.

The speaker cones went to the Sharp GF-A2 which is now back on the road (see this thread here) and the parts I need to get this box back on the road have been salvaged to good effect. The doner sliders were perfect after a clean & lube so a swap was carried out.

As for the worn cog/gear, that too was perfect in the doner box so I also swapped this:.
DSCF1427sfw.jpg

The cog/gear was secured in position with the tiniest screw I have yet dealt with. It's quite fiddly little job because of the tiny screw and the awkward positioning of the mini-spring with it's closed loop end and partially hidden locating lug:
DSCF1433sfw.jpg

DSCF1437sfw.jpg

After the parts were swapped the box was reassembled then tested - and the deck still made that awful noise! :bang: So as not to spend the rest of my life trying to resolve an unknown problem on a low-end box, I stripped out the cogs/gears from each of the decks, swapped them back again to their original decks and decided to transplant the whole deck from the doner box. I cleaned, lubed & demagnetised the doner deck as needed then reassembled the case once more. A retest was carried out - again - and the result was 'darn purdy'! :yes: The deck works and tapes play fine.

The only remaining issue the deck now has is a slight 'whirring' noise (when the deck's in use) that can only be heard when the volume is turned down to almost a zero output. For now, it's been a successful resto with only the barely audible 'whirring' so I'd now put this box at 98% good as the other 2% consists of: 1% for 'whirring' and 1% for the small amount of worn lettering to the front case. All in all, not a bad job!

The doner Pannie still has many good parts that may suit similar models to these and are available at no cost for the parts, on a 'grab it if still available' basis'!

Status
Not open for further replies.