Operation Sanyo M9998!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Those 4 white deck function switches are internally spring loaded and flip backwards when you remove the small PC board. We have to move it forward so that it works with the tape function levers, when you put that board with the switches and mount the board with two tiny screws.

I used an old credit card to move them all the same way and place it over the tape function levers to mount the board. A metal bracket holds that small board.

It is very easy to lose those tiny screws in the box. Use a magnetized screw driver for those tiny screws. Or simply magnetize one by making strokes on a magnet. Just drag the screw driver tip from one pole to the other pole of a magnet, lift it away from the magnet and repeat the process like 25 times to make the screw driver magnetic.

Attachments

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
BoomboxLover48 said:
Awesome!!! It's so great when a big issue actually is only something small ;-)
Exactly! Thanks Bill!

Now I have lots and lots of additional pictures to share if another member needs help.

Now I noticed that the dishonest seller didn't say anything about one bad speaker and missing reel drive axle tips (cogs). Yuck!

I need to find the reel tips and also a speaker for this M9998.
I've used these from a sharp 9090 deck before which work perfectly. Others with spring and clip on function will work too I'm sure.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The spring and C clip won't work here because there is no slot on the axle for the C clip.
The tip from 9090 that James (jimmyjimmy19702010) send me for free from Australia fits there with friction. So it is a spring loaded friction held tip.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hisrudeness said:
I can see now why this model was such a big ticket item in the late 70s (well over $400) so much engineering!
Amazing sound quality if the unit works well on tape and radio....sound is unbelievable from a boombox of that size.

Once your listen to the audio quality on tape.....
sound quality is Super! Gorgeous unit!

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
IMHO, the early Sanyo models had some of the best sounding amps. Not the most powerful but the sweetest sounding. I read somewhere that the late 70s Sanyo amps were based on a low powered Sanyo home stereo amp design.

The M4500, M9990, M9994, M9998 all have a similar style of balanced sound that makes for easy listening for extended listening sessions.

If you want more power or huge bass, then you'll have to look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.