One man's trash.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I'm putting a 12V OUTPUT quick connect to power my Bluetooth module from outside the radio case. Then I will add the plug port to any of my radios and can plug the same BT module into them.

image.jpg

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
^ I saw that video he posted years ago, good execution!

It fits great.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I mounted the 12V output plug, the switch for the LED/12V setup, and put the 12V male plug on my BT module.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I'm so excited!!!!!

I figured cutting it with a razor blade is going to give me the best shot at not making this a ha k job. I used the plastic ribs inside the front case as a guide for my blade.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Thank you !

Had to stop last night and had some direction for cutting the original case now.

I know that when using acrylic cement, the plastic melts some when squishing the pieces together which is good for bonding. BUT as the material squishes I could possibly lose some dimension to the repair and could make it look crooked at all kinds of angles after its stuck.

I decided to slice the original case so I would end up with MORE material than needed so I could sand it down a little at a time to get it just right or hope the plastic would squish just enough. Remember with acrylic cement, if there is no material to squish together, it will not fill gaps/voids so for a strong bond the 2 parts must be touching at every mating surface.

I used the thickness of this thin metal bracket I had laying around, which happened to have a 90* bend and made a perfect jig for offsetting my cut and also to set the perpendicular slice I want to make next.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Chop, hack, slice, chop, hack......

Could have fit a little better if I wasn't so damn impatient!

It is glued up for the most part. Time to dry!

I originally wanted the seams hidden in the grooves of the radio, but the more I thought about the logistics of trying to sand the seam, it just would have turned out like crap. I spliced on flat areas so I know I can sand it smooth and prep it properly for paint.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Dead Center, Manitoba, Canada
blu_fuz said:
Thanks for the kind words, it helps motivate more than you know! I truely enjoy the challenge and also love the the history these radios tell by their scars. The enthusiast in me says to rebuild it, so I have to.

Onward and upward!
Can you imagine how the designers and engineers of this box would feel seeing this kind of effort on their creation? !

As Chris said earlier, " Damn these threads are inspirational! :-D :yes: IMPRESSIVE! "

Carry on young man! :bow:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
I'm jealous, wish I was doing this repair...partly because I don't have an M90 but mostly because I love doing this sort of resto! Keep up the good work, loving watch the stages :-)

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Nicely done - I could see in some pics that it looked like the piece was going to stick out slightly on the back - little did I realise that this was part of the master plan to allow the adhesive to melt the joint slightly to even up the piece!

That will not only look great when it's done, it will also be as strong as an intact casing.

Great effort,

James... :-)

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Northerner said:
I'm jealous, wish I was doing this repair...partly because I don't have an M90 but mostly because I love doing this sort of resto! Keep up the good work, loving watch the stages :-)
This is something I'd like to give a try after following The Maestro at work here, this is so inspirational I now have an urge to damage a (donor) box just to see if I can put it all back together again! :yes: :-D :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.