National / Panasonic RX-5350

Status
Not open for further replies.

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
6 months flew by :-) Let's try to ask one more time - what power rating was National Japanese version? 25 or 28 Watts? Panasonic was 48 Watts.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
Six months did fly by! Sorry :blush:

The National has a rating of 28W, the National Panasonic has a rating of 36W. I wanted to make a direct sound comparison but unfortunately I didn't find my power converter.

Anyway: here's finally a direct comparison showing the visual (and technical) differences!

• National // National Panasonic
  • A: silver grills // black grills
  • B: plain membrane // corrugated dark membrane (the color difference might be due to fading)
  • C: purple imprints, dark tuner scale // blue imprints, silver tuner scale
  • D: mix mixing plug and knob // no mixing, logo imprint instead
  • E: Dolby NR, + an LED indicator on the left and logo on the right // no Dolby NR
  • F: different brand name
  • G: (FM wireless, FM, AM) and Dolby Logo // (FM, MW, SW1, SW2) and fine tuning knob
  • H: 3 Tape Program Search // single TPS
  • I: different badges and mic grills
  • there's also different imprint around the tape counter
National5350.jpg
NationalPanasonic5350.jpg

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks! I just got the National version. I doubt there are schematics differences other than missing or added switches/sockets/LEDs. Apparently radio boards would be different, audio boards should be the same.

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
trippy1313 said:
I definitely am a fan of the NP version more as far as looks go. But they're both beautiful.
I too, agree that the NP is better looking. If I could swap in those NP woofers and Mic grills into My National, mine would then be stylishly perfect. Thanks for the comparo pics Zippy. ;-)

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Yep same applies to most of Matsushita models from that time designated for different parts of the world.
1. National for Asia
2. Panasonic for US and Canada
3. NP for Europe and Middle East
Not sure about South America probably NP

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
always thought this heavy hitter looked damn good,with the upside down tuner etc.you cant go wrong with panasonic,they made plenty of choice in portables and accross the whole spectrum in sound quality.this looks no exception! :cool:

Myself

Member (SA)
Mar 23, 2017
I have been playing with HIFI, toys, Yonex badminton gears and cars from Japan for 30 years.

Seriously speaking, if you open a Japanese domestic version of most Things to compare with export products, consistently you could find higher quality parts put inside the domestic equipment.

Just quote one example: In Around 1990, We did side by side open up an export version and a domestic Japanese version Pioneer pd-901 CD player! The domestic version use much better parts such as 'Elna cap for audio'but the export version use mass marker caps. Although both players were made in Japan, the cost for building the players were different.

So if I wanna compare national and Panasonic, you would like to open up both boxes and take a lurk. we can see if there's quality difference between the parts use, the size of the transformers, size of magnets etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.