My PANASONIC RX-A5 ** Project Kumonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Well, the left speaker is a bit stubborn when it comes to rattles. The screen is still a bit loose along the top edge so the next step is to get some wire & cut a piece to fit the spot that is a bit loose & rattles....hopefully, that will do it.

I've used 4 screws as anchors for the screens & it does really cut down on vibrations & the wire will finally be the last piece to the puzzle...I already touched up the screws & scuffs from working on this 8 woofer 'DISCO Kumonga'(c).

In the meantime, check this video out. I'm close to licking the beast & turning these cabinets into rock-monsters....

!!!WARNING!!! EVEN MORE HEAVY BASS!! DEMO TRACK!!. Turn your speakers or headphones down before playing track...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hin1PQBLQ_8

I have a piece of paper wedged into the top edge of the left speaker's grill. It is there to eliminate the final rattle from the heavy pounding of the woofers. Hopefully, the weight of the bass track translates in the video. They're not TRUE sub-woofers but they do sound lot like mini bass-stack & pounds all day long....

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
riker1068 said:
Those screw look well placed.
Thanx Riker!! I know some will think that I ruined the looks of the speakers but I had to compromise between cosmetics & functionality. The grills were vibrating too much & I couldn't leave it that way after working so hard to eliminate the rattles & nosies etc. I managed to use a small piece of black wire to hold down the top edge of the screens & will test later.

Stay tuned....

Cpl

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Yeah, those screws look perfect.
The beginning of that song makes me want to listen to some Dreadzone, so I think I will :-) :stereo:

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
OK, well, in total, I used 2 small pieces of black wire about 1.5mm in diameter & insulated with medium density plastic & tucked it between the screen edge & the cabinet lip where the screen is slightly bent. On the other side I used a small strip of deadmat & stuffed it in between the grill edge & cabinet lip on the middle/right position....

See below...This is the only blemish resulting from this risky & thorough MOD & it is only because I tried to remove the grills which I must say are there to stay & really well engineered parts.

So here's the final product of my endless fiddling....

RIGHT ARRAY

Stay tuned for a final victory lap....Phone lines are open peeples so post your song requests here for a demo that suits your mood....

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Dreadzone coming up next, for Caution...

I will confess that a couple of screws went in a bit crooked but overall it came out OK & I'm happy with the immense sonic improvement it made. As I mentioned, we used to use rubber wire sheath & screws for standoffs when we mounted stamped steel grills to our 15" woofer stacks at my roadie job in the early 90's. I used chalk-board black to match the flat black of the grills & it looks amazing to me how close the 2 are to each other.

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
oldskool69 said:
Looks great and though only via the interwebs, sounds great. I only have one question though...

Who is you ear doctor? With the development of that beast, surely you've had a drum or two replaced. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanx! Uh, no ear doctor yet! I think my ear drums have developed a rattle too.... :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.