My PANASONIC RX-A5 ** Project Kumonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
I figured since this is a forum I would expand a bit on why 8 small audiophile quality woofers are far better & louder than the 2 woofer/2 passive system of the early 80's or even 2 large 8" woofers. If you have an A5, you owe it to yourself to try to do this. I turned this impressive looking but whimpy sounding pig into a powerhouse without touching anything but the woofers & their wiring & replaced the electrolytic with an equal poly-film cap. Same 4.7uF but a smoother response compared to the brassy sound of electrolytics & you can hear it in the sound too, quite plainly. The rest of my time was spent coping with the power that was pounding the poor cabinets into the dust...

Basically the 4 woofers working in unison are like a 9" diameter woofer with an impossibly light & efficient diaphragm/suspension, a 10lb extremely strong magnet & a 4" voice coil that can also go easily from 40Hz to 10000Hz & have a 94db sensitivity rating....Also, it's good to remember that the sensitivity of smaller speakers is higher across a larger range than large woofers too.

That is quite the impressive set of factors about arrays that make them flat out more powerful, more efficient & with cleaner transient response than large single woofer speakers. Plus, in this case, the speakers themselves are about 9db more efficient than the old paper cones & adding 2 more woofers while elminating the passives again boosts efficiency by at least 6-10db depending on the weight of the passives. So I think it would be safe to say, that watt for watt, the new woofers boost output in general, by about 15db over the very inefficient woofer/passive system.

Believe it or not, google that if you want but a 15db increase in acoustic output is equal to 32 times the amplifier power since our hearing is logarithmic.

To my ears, this set feels under-rated & the coupling effect & high, high efficiency of small speakers is the reason why it sounds HUGE!!! Conion killing huge......& wayyyyy more BASSSSSSS!!!

Cpl

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Hmmmm....... Yep, that A5 sure would be LOUD!!!!!!!

Don't be too hard though on the traditional Hi Fi approach to speaker design. The big driver and tweeter combo can certainly sound sweet.

Have you thought of upgrading the A2 drivers? The standard speakers may be pretty basic compared with what's available today.

The only limiting factor in the production of big, deep bass is going to be the limited leterage of those cabinets.

I did a little experiment a while back when I put a 6.5 inch driver in a huge sealed plywood box. The low, deep bass that little speaker produced was very surprising. :-) That same speaker in a mid Boombox sized cabinet was all mids and highs.

This speaker experiment thing is good fun right?

James.... :-)

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:

Hmmmm....... Yep, that A5 sure would be LOUD!!!!!!!

Don't be too hard though on the traditional Hi Fi approach to speaker design. The big driver and tweeter combo can certainly sound sweet.

Have you thought of upgrading the A2 drivers? The standard speakers may be pretty basic compared with what's available today.

The only limiting factor in the production of big, deep bass is going to be the limited leterage of those cabinets.

I did a little experiment a while back when I put a 6.5 inch driver in a huge sealed plywood box. The low, deep bass that little speaker produced was very surprising. :-) That same speaker in a mid Boombox sized cabinet was all mids and highs.

This speaker experiment thing is good fun right?

James.... :-)
Yeah, I have to admit it is lots of fun & quite rewarding when you can save a 777 or an A5 with better drivers & make it sound amazingly good...I've still got to secure the screens & lay more deadmat to tune the boxes to a lower resonant frequency so stay tuned....

Now I'm waiting on my 4 pin fan extender cables to come in so I can finish off the RGB LEDs on my M80. I'm installing JVC M50 woofers which are the 6.5" version of the M90 woofrers so it should be a nice sounding upgrade too. The M80 is real snug inside so only JVC woofers will really fit inside that radio....

Cheers,
Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
After the Easter festivities were done I went back to it & pasted some egg-carton acoustic foam to the back of the cabinet to eliminate the standing waves & slow down the back-wave from the inside of the box...

Here's a couple of pics to show what I did...

Each Cabinet has 2 layers of DeadMat applied to every cabinet surface except the front panel where the speakers are. The front panel is very thick & dense so very little resonance happens there. The rear panel is then dampened further with acoustic egg-carton foam to further break up standing waves & make the box seem deeper yet punchier...

Hip-Hop & radio sound excellent. Line in was crisp & clean & punchy, deep...

Stay tuned.....

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
OK, all finished up for now. I decided that the 2nd layer of deadmat actually detracted from the bottom end so went back into the cabinets & actually peeled off the 2nd layer of deadmat & reapplied the egg-carton foam to the back panel & see for yourself how it can fill a big basement with sound....

Both vids are shot from about 12 feet back from the blaster...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIsmnytro1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUT_F858kG0

Cheers!! :-D

Cpl

riker1068

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2014
FLORIDA Jacksonville
Sounds good. I respect how you push the limits and take chances. You've inspired me to follow some of what you do. Speaker upgrade by pushing the amps true power levels. I like it loud. You are a loving legend. I light the no lights black look. Can the grills be cut off? I may need to buy the one on eBay. Perhaps I can swap it up in maybe 2 yrs like yours. Too much house and pond work currently.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Thanx Riker!! :-D :-D :-D

Glad you like & yeah I am blessed with too much free time sometimes so it's fun to see if you can take a less than impressive sounding box & make it better.....with the foam, deadmat & woofers, I spent about 175 CDN & another 500 CDN shipped for the A5 so I'm glad it worked out for the better.

Now, I'm waiting on the fan extender cables for my LED mod on the JVC M80....I also ordered some VIFA tweeters to try out on the A5....

Stay tuned....

Cpl

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
riker1068 said:
Have you come up with any ideas for the 6400 speakers?
I am going to leave the 6400 woofers in original cond. since they do sound ok & go very LOUD!! Maybe when I catch up on other projects I might crack open the A2 cabinets & see what I can do with them......

Still have to see if the VIFA tweeters are a good fit for the A5 so stay tuned....

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
blu_fuz said:
Unreal how good that sounds even online.
Thanx brother! :-D It felt good to crank it out after al the work & tweaking. :rock: These cabinets are very directional & room placement matters more with this type of radio. The speakers didn't change the characteristics of the cabinets but in my opinion, the new woofers overcame many deficiencies that the old woofers had & it's quite a powerhouse now with decent bass & deeper roll-off(f3) by far...probably down to 40-50hz depending on room-size, etc....

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Well, I decided to tackle the rattles from the grills & the stamped tin center braces for each cabinet. I added some dead-mat to the attaching surface of the brace where the back screw tightens down.

Next, I used an outside finishing nail, 1-1/2" long & managed to poke it through the grill & dead-center in between each vertical woofer pair, as shown below:

Once I centered the point of the nail, I lightly hammered it down to make my pilot hole for the tie-down screws. Next, I tried 2 screws, 1 for each vertical pair of woofers. I'll post a video soon but as you can tell from the sound, it's better but the screens still move too much & I need a couple more anchor points for the screens....

We used to do this for roadie cabinets that had those diamond shaped stamped steel grills. We would put rubber washers in between the hold down screws & the grill to eliminate vibration noises.

Stay tuned...

Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA

Once I get all the points that vibrate secure on each cabinet, I'll go over the screw-heads with some flat black paint to black them out, so they'll blend right in with the grill & body...

Stay tuned....

Cpl

Status
Not open for further replies.