my National RX-7200 88-108 MHz FM and 120VAC modifications/repairs

Norm1968

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hello Toshik
I just discovered you today while I had a discussion about bying a National RX-7200. I was wondering if it was worth it ,sound and all, and mostly how I could have the FM tuner modified for use in Canada if I was going to get it. Superduper mentioned you. So it got me to find this topic. Man, you are a magician!!
Fortunatly found out from the seller that the mod is already done. Hope it is as good work as you have done. But it is still running at 100 volts. Need 120 here also.
If you dont mind, I may contact you in a near future to have that changed. Cant wait to hear that box. Should receive it in about 2 weeks from today. For now I have ordered a 120 to 100 volts convertor. Hopefully it does the work for a while.

Normand

Dave0363

Jan 7, 2022
Cyprus
Thank you! What kind of details you'd like to see?
The work is more complex than rebelting or plain replacement of all electrolytic capacitors, so I'd refrain from step-by-step guide since the results might be quite disappointing due many factors. Not to mention that it might even not being possible for another models. Even this one was a "die hard" :-) due to schematics absence. I've been doing these mods for over 10 years now mostly on car radios. Plus I worked in consumer electronics repairs since early 90-s.
As I noted above all RX-7200 owners can PM me so I can help them out while I have time and parts.

Dave0363

Jan 7, 2022
Cyprus
Good day!
Hopefully, you are doing well!

I'm David.
My friend from Russia owns the National RX7200 in the Japanese version, since there was no other one.
As in the US, there is a problem with the need to reconfigure the digital tuner's range to 87-108 instead of the Japanese standard.

I promised to help him with finding a service manual for this device, since my friend has a unique experience in repairing not only boomboxes, but for me he restored Nakamichi ZXL1000, ZXL1000Limited, Dragon, Toshiba Mak-Kensey, AIWA MicroBoy and other vintage devices.

Judging by your successful experience, you either have the RX7200 schematic at your disposal, or you have found an original solution for re-tuning the range yourself.

I am willing to pay you through eBay or directly at your convenience for the opportunity to get a service schematic or an algorithm for making changes to the range settings.

I would be glad to hear from you on my proposal!

Stay strong due the pandemic!

Sincerely,
David,
Alithinou 2750 Nicosia, Cyprus

Attachments