My Conion C-100 Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
For some reason unknown to me, somebody has deliberately removed the external fm antenna port on this box. It would've been of no use to me but it still makes me wonder :hmmm:

anyway i used an old library card to make a blank. after all the crap that came out of this box, i dont want any unnecessary gaps in the box for anything to get in

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
If you get the urge to add a little something hidden away, that's the perfect spot for something like a switch to control lights, or a Bluetooth pairing button, USB jack, etc.

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
good evening everyone :-D

30/05/17;
The conion is lmost done! all that remains is a few little jobs to tick off before i can put this stereo back together. something that ive been putting off for weeks however, is the speakers...

These werent the prettiest, besides the obvious dust, the card was stained and the main problem i had with them is some chrome had wore off the right centre cone, something which could be seen through the grills

I did clean them up, mask the centres and paint the cards black a few weeks ago, but it took me until yesterday to attend to the centre cap. i sanded it lightly to give it a key, then gave it a coat of chrome paint.... unfortunately the finish looked so shiat i didnt even bother to photograph it :lol:
So, today i made a little DIY paint booth, and painted the whole woofers black

On all fairness im not too keen on the look of 80s speakers with crome caps anyway, and i think the black gives it a stealth look :ninja:

A trip down to maplins electronics today for one simple can, and i return with three :lol: (compressed air, contact cleaner, dust repellant)

Surprisingly with all the dirt that came out of this box, there was no crackling or static on any of the knobs or switches, but as the box is still open it would be daft not to clean the insides and contacts anyway... my plan this morning was to remove all the circuitboards so that i could gain the best access to all the contact points, but with the long straws that came with the can it seemed rather unnecessary. I also figured that if i want the outsides of this box to be as clean as possible, then id have to make the insides totally spotless as well

I did think about painting the tweeters black too, but once the box goes back together, nobody is going to see them again, so i left em alone

I removed this plate to gain access to all the switches on the lower circuit board, and i thought while its off i may as well paint it black to match the rear case. but once i cleaned it, it doesnt look to be faded, and looks a fairly nice contrast against the black, so for a few days at least, it can stay grey until i decide whether to paint it or not

Sean :cool:

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks mate :cool: I like a good project, but they always turn out to be more work than i initially hope. Must be my pedantic nature :lol:

Sean

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
im_alan_partridge said:
Great work Sean, cant wait to see it back together.
The 575 is not going to get a look in at the shop when this is finished :yes:
Getting so close now :cool:

I'll always have a spot for the 575, ive had it since i was 17 :-) i reckon the shop is the best place for it, if it wasnt there i wouldnt be listening to it daily. The conion on the other hand is far too big! :lol: and i want it at home where i can enjoy it properly

Sean

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
Last night i spent some time cutting up a pair of womens tights :yes:

i put the material between the case and the tweeter grill to fully disguise the tweeters from the front, and to prevent more dust from gathering there

I Bought a pack of vibe sound deadening material.... if its good enough for a 300w sub, its good enough for my conion

Unfortunately this stuff didnt go as far as i hoped, but id say i got enough of the case covered anyway. A very small part of the sound deadening had to be cut back out to fit the inner case, because of how low the screw mounts are located

Reassembly :cool:
Firstly, this stereo was a bastard to put back together!! the boomboxes ive opened up before have had the circuitry and mechanisms simply screwed to the front. Only the conion has that inner plastic casing sits inside, meaning you have to have needle fingers, or hands like a child to get in there. And on top of that, all the switches and buttons refusing to fit into place was the cause of a lot of cursing and frustration :lol: but it went back together in the end, i just hope i never have to take this box apart again!

And i decided to keep that inputs plate the original grey in the end. It looks good against the black and its the only part left which matches the colour of the handle

Sean :cool:

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
The conion is now back together and sounding awesome!! Im just waiting on some new arials to arrive and then it will be finished.

Sean

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
ralrein1 said:
Let's see final pics of it back together. You've done such nice work,it'd be such a shame not to share with the class.
I fully intend to, once i have new arials fitted and ive dug out my SLR camera... I want to send some pictures of the stereo over to the guy i bought it from as well. He's had it since the 1980s and i think he'd be interested to see it now :-)

Sean

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
I remember when i bought this conion, i felt way out of my depth with it it. I mean, if opening the packaging to find it looked like a piece of **** builder's radio wasnt bad enough, i then realised the tape door and undertray was a lot rarer then i thought.... But today, i fitted the arials which being the final part, marks the end!! :-D

Thanks everyone for all your positive comments. And also to all of you who i took advice, tips and inspiration from around various sections of the forum

i'll let the pictures speak for themselves...

[

Sean

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Great job!

It is really missing those shiny dust caps on the woofer! You can buy one and attach!

It is so much fun watching those dust caps response to bass!

~Royce

Status
Not open for further replies.