Most GROSS or oddest thing you have found in a boombox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stereomann

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2010
MD
is that boombox form ebay? is it a it a conion C 100F?
how are you going to clean it
use a presure washer, bleach
i would be afraid to bring that in my house even if it was all cleaned out & i would think about it every time i played it

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
stereomann said:
is that boombox form ebay? is it a it a conion C 100F?
how are you going to clean it
use a presure washer, bleach
i would be afraid to bring that in my house even if it was all cleaned out & i would think about it every time i played it
Yes, its Korean C-100F that I paid decent $$ for on Epay... :-/ I swear they used some photo-editing software to get rid of the roaches in the pictures, because if you look at the box dead-on you can see dead lil roaches... even had one hanging in the lower tape deck as soon as I unwrapped it..

What started out as a simple cleaning is becoming a restoration, getting a complete facelift! Probably so I can play it indoors without thinking of the "roach box".. :sadno: I did use Bleche-wite on the inside of the front casing last night, with a hose and toothbrush getting rid of the germs and feces residue.. :-O

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I did soap and water wash then sprayed with 409 all purpose cleaner and let it sit for a minute before wiping it off...... I use my roach box almost every day :yes: :lol: . I couln't get the smell out of the speakers so if you put your nose by them and give a big WHIFF, you might catch a hint of roach turds :sick:

stereomann

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2010
MD
how do you clean the Circuit Boards? i know you can't get them wet but i have seen videos on youtube of people putting motherboards in the dishwasher & they still worked after being dried
& is there a way to tell if bugs have been or are inside if you buy one from a thrift store or goodwill, yard sale
that would be a good thing to know
i always take thinks apart when i buy them used to check. but im just wondering if there is a way to know when buying because i would probably pass on it if it did

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
stereomann said:
how do you clean the Circuit Boards? i know you can't get them wet but i have seen videos on youtube of people putting motherboards in the dishwasher & they still worked after being dried
I am wondering that myself.. After opening up my other C100F(Japan) I got this week, I noticed all the circuit boards are filthy!
Luckily no bugs in this one, but there is a mixture of dust,grime, and overspray on the insides..
It looks like a 1/74th scale town that got a blizzard and covered all the buildings and streets in snow! (you can see where I wiped off some)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
You could use air, like a can of air you buy for computers. Sometimes I use a small paint brush to lightly brush dust and dirt. For tough stains a Qtip with rubbing alcohol....

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
baddboybill said:
You could use air, like a can of air you buy for computers. Sometimes I use a small paint brush to lightly brush dust and dirt. For tough stains a Qtip with rubbing alcohol....
:agree: Flood it with alcohol and blow it out with compressed air, going to take a few shots.
What a mess :thumbsdown:

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
I found a half smoked roach from circa 1988, in my Lasonic 931 in one of the screw holes.
And no....... I did not smoke it. :lol:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
I found the remnants if a roach inside my WX-1!

Master I got that from you to!! :-P
Other than that nothing special!! :-)

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
^ mud wasp nests???? That must have been in the garage, barn, or shed. That can't happen with it inside the house.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Thae wasps must have some teeth, look what they did to that screw pillar. Nasty.

Shortly after I bought my B&O box, I opened it up to replace a broken volume control cord that B&O use to take the linear motion of the volume slider to the spindle of the conventional (rotary) volume control and which often would snap in these when the original silicon grease - that the sliders move in - dries off.
As I removed the screws, all yielded with the characteristic crack that signifies that they've never been turned in the other direction so it hadn't, at this stage, been pulled down before which is how to this day I have no idea how the Durex found its way in there. :blush: Fortunately, it was an unused one and still in its individual packet. Sadly, it was two years past its sell by date. According to the writing on the packet, it was a strawberry one, I didn't attempt to research this point further!
:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Here's what I found in the speaker box on a Panny RX-DT630. It was about 1" - 1 1/2" long and had 1M+ legs. Must be a "California" thing. The box came from San Diego. Had it been alive, I probably would have burned the house down. :

Creature.JPG

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
>Most oddest thing you have found in a boombox?
Well, once I opened this boombox, and there was another boombox inside! Then, inside that, there was another boombox! This went on for a while. It was a Russian boombox.

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
huh just found this thread made my day
:clap:
I have to dig out some of my inbox finds

Status
Not open for further replies.