mini M90

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I'm guessing the mini M90 by New Wave Toys would be right at home in this section.
The battery life is insane. It's still showing 90% after all day and most of the night.
20220609_185342.jpg

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I have some interesting information about the new mini M90s that I did not know. The kick-starter model did not have AM as originally planned however, the new ones they are selling on their website do! I purchased a black speaker model recently and I happened to notice that the replica power button area (which is fixed on the kick starter model) was labelled AM/FM. Sure enough, it depresses and I was able to listen to sports and talk shows. Heck Yeah! No more hiss on BT either and the volume is very linear just like a true potentiometer on an old school blaster. It's not all glitchy or increasing in increments like the kick starter.

So, having AM on the new M90 and it having a few little minor issues that annoyed me, well, you all know me. I took both the new and kick starter models apart and compared their circuitry (no photos). I can tell you that if you have a tiny AM ferrite bar and a selector switch, I am willing to bet that the kick starter would have AM. I could see where the switch would solder to the board and where the AM antenna would solder up. I found that interesting.

But the main reason for me taking the new one apart was because the tuner needle didn't line up with the radio stations like my kick starter model did. Also, the cassette door opened way too slowly. After aligning the tuner, I applied a tiny bit of lube to loosen up the damping fluid and put a little more tension on the spring opening the cassette door until I got it opening the way I wanted. Once I got both of those issues sorted, I put both back together and remembered that you could link the two together via BT. So I did that and I was able to experience wide stereo separation. Very nifty ;-)

I really think these things are neat. In addition to taking my Panasonic RX-5050, I also took my mini M90. Beach trip was awesome. Having an old and new school radio made the vacation more enjoyable for sure.
20230630_140356.jpg20230604_160834.jpg

Thomy71

Member (SA)
Mar 8, 2023
Germany
Hmm, I'm surprised there's another thread about the M90 here as we already discussed that in the main thread of the kickstarter project. And you even wrote over there, too. :-D

CLICK