M90 Help needed to make it Play again!

jays

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2018
ottawa
So I read many thread I am not sure if I have a problem with the fusible resistors, since the tape deck was working before I did the belt change, I might have miss something but now I simply hear a cluck sound when press play, the rewind work not the fast forward. So I need help here.

Anything I could have miss?

jays

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2018
ottawa
ok No just review the system by doing some hand rotation and I don't think it can´t be that pin!!! I just don't understand what's wrong.... it was all working before the belt change.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Is the solenoid activating and moving the parts connected to it? I didn't save any deck pics even though I worked on belt replacement and fusible resistor replacements.
We have experts here who can chime in and help! Be patient...

Reactions: jays

jays

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2018
ottawa
Is the solenoid activating and moving the parts connected to it? I didn't save any deck pics even though I worked on belt replacement and fusible resistor replacements.
We have experts here who can chime in and help! Be patient...
yes it move up and down. Im impatiently patient... that one got me bad I really don't understand what i did wrong in the process.

jays

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2018
ottawa
Did you put the belt correctly?
Yeah don't worry about this. I've done probably more than a 100's box from now, I rarely do mistake on those but this one got me hard. I probably redid it 20 times just to play around the mechanism to see if I could reset the system another way. You can't see the counter one on the video, since I was trying to figure out if It was the problem,

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah don't worry about this. I've done probably more than a 100's box from now, I rarely do mistake on those but this one got me hard. I probably redid it 20 times just to play around the mechanism to see if I could reset the system another way. You can't see the counter one on the video, since I was trying to figure out if It was the problem,
Trying to help! I've also worked on more than 100s of boxes alone, plus tape decks and more but still find it hard to get some decks working well. There are several in my collection with deck mechanical issues that are so hard to fix. I've gave up on some Pioneer decks.

jays

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2018
ottawa
Trying to help! I've also worked on more than 100s of boxes alone, plus tape decks and more but still find it hard to get some decks working well. There are several in my collection with deck mechanical issues that are so hard to fix. I've gave up on some Pioneer decks.
Hey don't worry the last time I had a hard time, was on a sony cfs-99, they are all different and still after many years some give me headache! that's why I came here... I don't have all the answer and I dont call myself a pro. I just did many box and this m90 was so easy that I thought everything would be perfect. but again wrong...

Last edited:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have 3 CFS 99 and only one fully works after spending some time on it. Working on the deck of CFS 99 is a nightmare!
Sanyo M9998 deck is another nightmare! I was good once...not anymore. Getting old...
There are some experts here .... who are professionals on M90 decks. It's amazing to see how they brought it all from completely dead with worn out parts, fully dead back to life!

Last edited:
Reactions: jays

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Might have something to do with the photo sensor aligning that monitors the movement of the main gear. I might be stupid but if these aren't align right it it's like timing gears in the car.
That's why I asked if the flywheel gears are engaging to that disk and is aligned well or not. I always mark the position of the flywheel and the disk before I pull it out.

Reactions: jays and floyd

jays

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2018
ottawa
Might have something to do with the photo sensor aligning that monitors the movement of the main gear. I might be stupid but if these aren't align right it it's like timing gears in the car.
Hummm ok could be the problem, il, check back if something wrong there. I still dont understand why those full logic system exist it make everything harder to maintain.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Looks like auto stop is somehow getting activated.
That's exactly the problem!
In his video, I immediately noticed there is no counter belt installed. This is essential for auto-stop to work.
Pretty sure he completely forgot about the counter belt during replacment, because if it worked before, that belt had to be there.
It wraps around the right spindle.
There is a magnet on the pulley shaft for the counter, that the auto-stop's hall effect sensor relies on.
If it can't sense the counter shaft spinning, auto-stop immediately engages.

jays

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2018
ottawa
Pretty sure he completely forgot about the counter belt during replacment, because if it worked before, that belt had to be there.
It wraps around the right spindle.
As I mention in my message #8 a little higher I remove the counter belt in the video and on the picture since I was trying to figure out if this was the problem. But now that you mention this I probably didn't try the whole thing with the counter belt and the drive belt lock into place at the same time. Maybe I did but I will revisit the solution since I did so many test without the counter belt and just a few with it on.

jays

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2018
ottawa
Ok it's now all working!

My Solution: after putting back the counter belt the same problem was present, I couldn't get the system to engage with a cassette! So I really had to push with a toothpick the little plastic lever under the gear assy to make it engage with the gear so that way the gear was able to make a half turn with the gear while being engage in a play mode. when it did the reset by itself I was able to make it play again. Now it's fully working. Yeah!!!! thank you all for the input and without Caution telling me that the counter belt was that important I would have continue doing my test with and without the belt for probably longer.