M70 & M90 with hardwired bluetooth module mod.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Correct, series in circuit on the (+) side.

And I managed to finish with the wiring! Did some tests and for now everything is working good.

Woooohooooo

Here is the location of that connector with the 12v (+) red wire, and the common/ground (-) black wire.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I really tried to solder my leads to the existing pads but there really is such little room there and really small solder points.
Red (+) wire pin:
image.jpg

Black (-) wire pin:
image.jpg

I took the easy route and stripped the wire casing back enough to wind and solder my wires to the existing ones. I ran out of heat shrink awhile ago so I used electrical tape.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Superduper

Member (SA)
The only thing about the RCA jacks that I would've tried differently would be to first try tapping at the location prior to the resistor. If you are worried about bypassing that coupling capacitor, you could always have added another one in series. The resistor, at 27k effectively isolates it enough from ground that the bluetooth tap should work, especially if it has a low enough output impedance capability the new tap location, at least was worth testing. That would've left those jacks unmolested and the grounding pins working properly. The other alternative, if removing the ground was the only option, was to simply remove the solder from the jack pins. That alone probably would have sufficed to divorce that switch from ground.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
^ I do wish I would have tried that so bending that tab in the RCA jack would not have been done. It might be the way I do my next BT mod M70.

I don't think removing the solder from the jack ground pins would be the right thing to do. Wouldn't that make plugging an actual RCA cord into the line-in not work? I want the jack to still function if a non BT device needs to be tethered to the input with a cord.

Now, I can finish cleaning/detailing the radio and get it back together. I might still try to add a LED to the BT switch to power on with it and shine by the tuner window or other discrete spot.

Superduper

Member (SA)
That's what you call small solder joints and tight location, lol. Dude, with all the tinkering you do, you REALLY need to get a better "electronic" solder pencil. A decent temperature controlled one is sooo very nice since it moderates the power so that it always stays just hot enough but not so hot when it's sitting on the stand unused for more than a few minutes that it starts smoking and vaporizing the tip coating. But if you don't want to spring the $50 (or whatever they cost nowadays for a good one), a decent Weller or Hakko pencil could be purchased on the cheap, probably $15 or so. Without a decent one, a repair such as your 5350 would have been really difficult. I mean, imagine trying to do all those connections under that tuning wheel, or at multiple IC pins, some next to each other.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I am currently using a pencil tip variable temp iron and I still can't get a decent connection on those small pads. Better lighting and kids yanking at my ankles would have maybe made it possible hahahaha. Oooh I love kids.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
It's tough to work on things like this in the house. My workbench in the garage is a disaster right now because I'm working on our kitchen too. Tools are just piled up.

Thanks for following along to give me some tips.

The only problem I am having is the new switch isn't perfectly in the center of the top panel cutout. The switch cap is binding up on the sides of the top panel hole. I'll need to adjust the bracket and get it moved before finishing.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
This is as good as she will get! The crusty tape residue by the AC jack didn't want to come off. Some of the paint did :-/ .

I am uploading the final video and here are some pictures. Its complete and fully working (besides the record mute). 1 antenna tip missing, scuffs and dings, but a pretty good daily 'take anywhere' BT true ghettoblaster! Freak your friends out with a BT vintage boombox, I can't wait.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Vid.

Notice when you power on the BT module is makes a little 'blue-da-di' noise.

This is an excellent mod. The audio level seems loud in the recording but it really wasn't in person thats why the meters aren't swinging. Wife and kids are sleeping so I couldn't rock out with it.

Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/pJ4HdCZW7eY

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Awesome!!! wohoo!!! I gotta find me a switch to replace my rec/mute mute button now. Nice work Joe. Let us know how good the range on it is when you get a chance to crank it up a little more.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
This is a great thread.

I really think you did a great job explaining it and I think the average person could follow your instructions and do this.

TOP WORK JOE! :thumbsup: :hooray:

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
This is a great thread.

I really think you did a great job explaining it and I think the average person could follow your instructions and do this.

TOP WORK JOE! :thumbsup: :hooray:
Exactly, even your average Joe could do it. Good thing we've got a better than average Joe here!

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
trippy1313 said:
It's a drug to help with boombox addiction. It's mislabeled as BOXODONT.
"BOXODONT"😃 I need some of that to give to all my local boombox collecting friends so I can limit my competition! That way they won't beat me to the rare Craigslist deals that come up. Here's lookin at you SLO!!!!😃😜😝😎

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Thanks guys! This is exactly what I was hoping to do for everyone. Make it as simple as possible and not introducing too many new parts and pieces into the equation.

I did a range test outside....

140ft unobstructed BT signal range!!!!!

I also tested in my house and on any of the 3 floors above grade or the basement, the BT signal never gets lost in the 2200sq ft limits.

http://youtu.be/DQ9BFv_1c_M

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Hell yeah, anytime!

Today has turned into a construction, electrical, BT jamfest! Today is a great day!!!!image.jpg