I can fix radios with the power of my mind

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
That's right Floyd, i can get a box out, Play it, Plays ok, then i put it away, leave it a few months, get it back out to play again, thing won't work.. i bought a GF999 last year, belts were gone, bought new belts, cassette decks played great except APSS, when i tried to use it the motor would just die, but rew/ff on their own without APSS was ok, well the decks were working great, Put it away, got it back out about 3 months later and went to play a tape, both decks dead, the leaf switches and micro switches are ok, seems like the 12v to the motors are missing, Probably a Transistor Blown, but i did nothing to it for it to blow. This happens all the time, i was playing a GF8989, Deck just Died, that was a Transistor that burned out because i saw it burned, Bought a new Transistor from Ebay and got it working again. but again, i did nothing to blow it.
In my opinion the sharp 777 series and the conion c100 are two of the most finicky boomboxes on the planet. if anything is off or misaligned these things just act a fool.
The tape decks on the 777 series are a pain in the ass and on the conion just getting them apart is risky especially if the tape deck stuck in place and trying to realign the internal frame with the outside casing makes you want to cry. On these two models that alignment is critical because if anything's off none of the buttons want to work right.

Reactions: Ghettoman

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
The TC999 and C126 are worse than the C100. The pots are bad quality, and so is the tuner, its stereo lock is weak. They are basically just "looks" boxes. They're twice as big as the sound justifies.

Reactions: floyd

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
In my opinion the sharp 777 series and the conion c100 are two of the most finicky boomboxes on the planet. if anything is off or misaligned these things just act a fool.
The tape decks on the 777 series are a pain in the ass and on the conion just getting them apart is risky especially if the tape deck stuck in place and trying to realign the internal frame with the outside casing makes you want to cry. On these two models that alignment is critical because if anything's off none of the buttons want to work right.
i repaired a GF777 for a friend a few weeks ago, stripped it and cleaned it inside and out and replaced the 2 Amp Ic's, while i was testing it i thought i'd get my GF999 out to compare the 2, My GF999 decks are just dead though, they worked when i put it away, but when i got it out again to play it, they were just dead, i think its definitely a transistor because of the same trouble i had with the GF8989. and both decks are gone, not just one.. so it's missing volts going to the motors.. just a pain in the butt though because these things just break down at the blink of an eye. hardly worth buying them unless you love to be constantly stressed and depressed. i love the GF999 though.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
i repaired a GF777 for a friend a few weeks ago, stripped it and cleaned it inside and out and replaced the 2 Amp Ic's, while i was testing it i thought i'd get my GF999 out to compare the 2, My GF999 decks are just dead though, they worked when i put it away, but when i got it out again to play it, they were just dead, i think its definitely a transistor because of the same trouble i had with the GF8989. and both decks are gone, not just one.. so it's missing volts going to the motors.. just a pain in the butt though because these things just break down at the blink of an eye. hardly worth buying them unless you love to be constantly stressed and depressed. i love the GF999 though.
I love the 777 series but like you said anything can go wrong with these at anytime and it usually does.
You are forced to work on them then they stab you in the back. How do they get away with it lol.

Reactions: Radio raheem

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
I got an rxc 100 one time I unwrapped it. took it out of the box turned it on for 5 minutes before foam started flying out of the speakers .I was like you know not even five f****** minutes and I got a re foam the speakers just to listen to the damn thing.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
I got an rxc 100 one time I unwrapped it. took it out of the box turned it on for 5 minutes before foam started flying out of the speakers .I was like you know not even five f****** minutes and I got a re foam the speakers just to listen to the damn thing.
i've had a few radios that did that, a Panasonic Rx660 years ago, a few Jvc Pc5's did it. and a Sharp WQ t282 a couple of months ago, its pure dog s h i t when that happens. but i've re-foamed a good few speakers now so i just re-foam them, i hate changing the originals for some others unless they are real poor quality but replacements, they just don't look right, and most of the time they don't sound the same either.

Reactions: floyd

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
i've had a few radios that did that, a Panasonic Rx660 years ago, a few Jvc Pc5's did it. and a Sharp WQ t282 a couple of months ago, its pure dog s h i t when that happens. but i've re-foamed a good few speakers now so i just re-foam them, i hate changing the originals for some others unless they are real poor quality but replacements, they just don't look right, and most of the time they don't sound the same either.
I usually use speakers from other boomboxes if I replace the speakers.
Your right replacement speakers just don't look or sound the same.

Reactions: Ghettoman