Help For The Ignorant Needed With Speaker Selection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Thanks, Ambience. Indeed they are physically large speakers and, truth be known, far in excess of my room requirements but it was the sound reproduction I focused on and not the size. If any speaker ads/info/spec didn't mention at least 90db Sensitivity then it didn't qualify for a second look. The speakers are date stamped 1975 inside, in those days they weren't too concerned about the blatant ugliness behind the speaker cloth!

This whole exercise has been an eye opener for me and I doubt I'll commit to memory enough technical detail to apply to another search for different speakers but 90db Sensitivity will always be a minimum requirement.

Anyway, this is how I spent a part of my morning:

Strip out the old crossover and check & prepare the replacement:
DSCF2620.JPG

Access to both sides needed so here's what a part of Celestion Ditton 15 looks like inside:
DSCF2623.JPG

All done and singing like a little bird:
DSCF2622.JPG

Early Fleetwood Mac, Willie Nelson, ZZ Top, Mantovani and Bob Marley all sound fantastic with these speakers so all that remains to be said is:

Thanks, Y'All!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
I searched online and saw a pair in France (Euros 30 - whatever that is!) but, before I could send the details to the seller of the speakers, he contacted me and offered a free replacement. How/why/where from? No idea, he just happened to have a spare on hand.

Maybe he's a Speaker Nerd with 'STOCK'?! :w00t: :-D

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Interesting, a foam passive radiator!

Do you know the sensitivity rating on those speakers? A lot of vintage speakers don't have very good sensitivity. But it doesn't really matter as long as you like them.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Reli said:
Interesting, a foam passive radiator!

Do you know the sensitivity rating on those speakers? A lot of vintage speakers don't have very good sensitivity. But it doesn't really matter as long as you like them.
The Sensitivity is 90db, Reli. :thumbsup:

crazygamer

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2015
Estonia, Tallinn
What an excellent pair of speakers you got there, i´m glad the "ignorant" finally found a superb set of speakers :lol: :w00t: I like their look, they match with your stereo system. :yes: :thumbsup:

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
MyOhMy said:
I searched online and saw a pair in France (Euros 30 - whatever that is!) but, before I could send the details to the seller of the speakers, he contacted me and offered a free replacement. How/why/where from? No idea, he just happened to have a spare on hand.

Maybe he's a Speaker Nerd with 'STOCK'?! :w00t: :-D
That was very nice of that person to just offer you a crossover for free!!!

I remember having a pair ARs / Acoustic Reseach 70's model I forget the actual model number but those speakers sounded beautiful.

Glad you are enjoying them and playing Bob Marley!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUQMSXLlHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-6g_CdpJs

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Nickeccles said:
Whatever you choose go for dome tweeters, cone tweeters simply can't match the refinement of soft dome units :yes:
Check. Thanks, Nickeccles - no such thing as 'just a pair of speakers', eh?!!!

A couple of days ago I also picked up a pair of Celestion Hadleigh speakers which are physically smaller than the Ditton 15's so now I can select the pairs of speakers best suited to my sitting location in the room. I did feel a little guilty at parting with the princely sum of £6.50 for the Hadleigh speakers. :yes: :-D :lol:

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
MyOhMy said:
Check. Thanks, Nickeccles - no such thing as 'just a pair of speakers', eh?!!!

A couple of days ago I also picked up a pair of Celestion Hadleigh speakers which are physically smaller than the Ditton 15's so now I can select the pairs of speakers best suited to my sitting location in the room. I did feel a little guilty at parting with the princely sum of £6.50 for the Hadleigh speakers. :yes: :-D :lol:
Dang!!

6.50 sterling!

Not bad.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
MyOhMy said:
These are the Celestion Ditton 15 speakers I bought:
01DSCF2384combosfw.jpg

I think there may be a foam circle missing? Would I be correct in thinking the
purpose of the foam ring is to maintain the gap to the speaker cloth?
04DSCF2390sfw.jpg

There is, however of damage to one of the Terminal Plates that occurred in transit:
05DSCF2388dam03sfw.jpg

Removing the Terminal Plate assembly, complete with Crossover, resulted in the plastic plate falling apart into several bits. Until a replacement part was sent I decided to see what I could do in regard to repairing the damage. I wasn't overly concerned about appearance but needed a strong & robust repair as the whole assembly is quite heavy with the weighty Crossover adding stress to the Plate. Here's the tale of the sorry looking Plate being stuck together, reinforced with a bespoke circular patch/plate located under the metal label and then reassembled:
06DSCF2400sfw.jpg

07DSCF2403sfw.jpg

08DSCF2402sfw.jpg

09DSCF2405sfw.jpg

The replacement Terminal Plate arrived - complete with a whole new crossover attached and
I hope to find time to replace the damaged parts with this replacement tomorrow:
DSCF2408sfw.jpg

DSCF2409sfw.jpg
There's nothing missing, that's glue applied to hold the surround in place, they over glue it like that to guard against separation of the surround edges. You usually only see the extra glue on speakers that are covered most of the time and the grills only really come off to service the speakers.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Also you only see the extra glue on rubber or treated accordion surrounds as its not needed for foam because the glue outlasts the foam in almost every case.

I built my first pair of speakers when I was 13 years old and found some woofers in a trash pile lol.

Sel The Don

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2015
Bursa, Turkey
I may be a bit late wading into this thread but anyway :)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-225-loudspeaker

Go for a pair of these, very very highly rated, musically and do pretty well in the bass department considering their size Bi-wirable too so you can use your A+B outputs. Can run from low power amps.

Even the Stereophile website have voted it Budget Product of the year. I went and demoed these in Istanbul this weekend just gone and was so impressed I'm having a pair, These will be part of my vintage 20WPC Pioneer amp/EQ/Radio/Cassette seperates combo for my bedroom, replacing some Technics gear I have.

EDIT: I didn't even look at the second page. My bad. Glad to see you've bought a pair of Dittons! Nice one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.