GPO Brooklyn Boombox review

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Decent review,thanks.
Now how does the sound compare to? That I feel would be the next question? So far it looks decent.😎📻

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
This is a very good attempt at an old skool looking box , I love the features . I can get over those tweeter trims because you could always add better looking grills.

Ferguson3T18

Member (SA)
Nov 11, 2017
Mid Wales, UK
Ghettoboom767 said:
Decent review,thanks.
Now how does the sound compare to? That I feel would be the next question? So far it looks decent.
Yeah, better, equal or worse sound than let's say a Panasonic RX-5500 ?

The cassette mech on the GPO looks really flimsy and cheap, even if the cassette player sounds good I can't imagine it would last very long.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
A link to this review was recently posted on GPO's Twitter timeline. :cool:

GPO.jpg
WOW, The "Experts!"

trippy1313 said:
That's interesting, I guess the guys at GPO are keeping an eye on this thread. Lol. That's a good thing I think.
Offer it in the USA!!!
Yeah man, this thing needs to be offered outside of the UK.

COME ON GPO!!!! Lets Go! WORLD WIDE SHIPPING :rock:
You’ll be UK next month so you can pick one up..

Beast From The East

Member (SA)
Feb 8, 2017
Athens Greece
Nice review!
Asking price fair if i compare it to some mini boombox/speakers or eggs made by sony
Childish front panel but its a start and on the right direction to recreate boxes of the past!

metallicblue

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2018
Ireland
I have two of these units, my only problem I found on the two units I have if you play cd's while plugged in with the adapter you get a lot of swishing noise interference and if you play CD's via Battery or Mains anything recorded over 86db shop purchased or ripped sound is distorted at any volume level also because the usb reader is connected and controlled by the same cd electronics I also found tracks recorded at 86db are also distorted. the aux sockets at the side for input are good if you can control the volume levels from the source going in (example headphone socket to Aux, using volume level from source device) I found sound distorts from Aux to Aux on some devices that you cant control the volume in.

I thought there maybe a internal line in audio level controller on the circuit board and may be set too high at factory, I couldn't find one.

Its very Strange that two units would be like this, I suggest anyone buying one to walk in the shop, physically ask them to take it out the box and play a few different CD/Mp3 discs to see and inspect the units, the first one I purchased had a screw from the speaker rattling around in it and the second unit one of the antennas was loose because the screw supposed to be holding it firm was non existent so I think their quality control is not that great.

I'm not saying all units will be like this, maybe I have been unfortunate, but like I said take out the box in shop and try before you buy.

so for me to get round the distorted Cd problems is to rip CDs/mp3 disks at normalisation of 84db also do the same for mp3 files on the USB

if anyone is interested recording from cd, tape , radio, aux, to USB the unit records only at 128Kbps and can not be changed.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Where do you find or adjust this 84db? I don't see that in the file properties of any of my MP3's. Nor is it an option in any of my downloaders.

Styleking

Member (SA)
Mar 16, 2011
Boston, MA.
GPO really should offer Boomboxery members a promo code! Think of all the free publicity some of the custom work from our members would bring them. Also, maybe they could offer a higher end version of this box with upgrades on the woofers and a higher end cassette player. I would certainly be open to paying more for a higher end box. They could call it the GPO Brooklyn Grand. :rock: Instead of a burglar alarm they could use technology similar to the Ring Doorbell and you could see who was trying to steal your box. 10" woofers would also be amazing!

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Reli said:
Where do you find or adjust this 84db? I don't see that in the file properties of any of my MP3's. Nor is it an option in any of my downloaders.
Reli, I use mp3gain to adjust all of my MP3 files. It's completely free. You can apply changes per track or per album (good for live albums or where tracks run together). 91dB is what I normalize to.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Fatdog said:
Reli, I use mp3gain to adjust all of my MP3 files. It's completely free. You can apply changes per track or per album (good for live albums or where tracks run together). 91dB is what I normalize to.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
Cool thanks!

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Here's my biggest concern. I have heard that the instructions say to not leave the box plugged in as this may damage the battery. Yet once it's charged and unplugged it draws the battery down flat without use in 24hrs. What???

All of this concerns me because:

1. This has a lipo battery pack. ALL lipo packs HAVE to have a smart charging system. They are explosive devices without smart charging.

2: If it drains the battery in 24 hours flat, you would have to know a day in advance when you wanted to go portable and charge it just before you take off.

If that's truly the case then I will unhook the battery after charging when mine comes in.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
No specs page in that manual? Odd.

Is it made in China? Anyone got a pick of the rear label?

metallicblue

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2018
Ireland
Reli said:
software that you use to burn mp3 to Cd not all of them, have a normalization button/switch, to record all track to the same sound level, if you have such software manual setting it to 84db, ashampoo software burning studio they have free full downloads on the website, this solution is for mp3 to Cd copying. for normalizing mp3 to use on USB stick use ashampoo music studio which is also free.