GPO Brooklyn Boombox review

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Interesting review. Still not sure I’d pay £250 for one but I’d probably pick one up if I found it cheaper. Thanks for doing this Tre

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
I quite like it surprisingly!!
However it does have that horrid tape mech that many of us will instantly recognise & a magnet for erase head!! Sometimes these decks playback just ok, most of them simply don't!! I agree with dumping the Cd player & use a better tape deck if that's possible? Who plays Cd's these days anyway? Bluetooth always a bonus, I use a bt module on my boomers to play my large library of files from my phone! It looks nice & am tempted a little but £180 ish would tip the balance, £250 for me is a bit high!!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
This blaster wasn't even on my radar but some of the things you went through on your review really interest me. The vertical CD is a nice touch, working deck, VUs, moving tuner needle, and removable battery pack is great. Thanks for putting this together.

One thing I noticed is that the speakers are not the size of the grill, right? I wonder how much room is inside or if the system can handle a speaker upgrade..... Only time will tell with this group ;-).

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
blu_fuz said:
This blaster wasn't even on my radar but some of the things you went through on your review really interest me. The vertical CD is a nice touch, working deck, VUs, moving tuner needle, and removable battery pack is great. Thanks for putting this together.

One thing I noticed is that the speakers are not the size of the grill, right? I wonder how much room is inside or if the system can handle a speaker upgrade..... Only time will tell with this group ;-).
Yeah i was tempted to open up the box for a peek and if i was keeping it i probably would of, i reckon there is some decent sized magnets in there :yes: :yes: :yes:

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Their heart was in the right place with this box - it’s just a pity that in this modern market, you can’t go too high in build quality as the higher asking price won’t be accepted by today’s consumer.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Old_Schooler said:
Thanks T-STER.
Do you recommend the purchase? :-)
As long as you bear in mind as i said its not screaming loud so volume will max out below where some would like but yes, I like it a lot.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Is it only available in silver?

It would look really nice in dark charcoal gray

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
As others have said, great review. I might have to pick one of these up if they are still available. The only issue I had was they didn't seem to ship outside of the UK? Am I wrong about that?

Reli said:
Is it only available in silver?

It would look really nice in dark charcoal gray
RED!!!!!

Styleking

Member (SA)
Mar 16, 2011
Boston, MA.
I agree with all the rest, great review! To me it's the closest modern box to the originals. This is a good sign for future incarnations.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
You can run it off the mains or battery. Fm reception was very good, tunes strongly and locks very well.