GE 3-5259A Blockbuster Spindle Gear Replacement

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Hi,
Has anyone replaced the tiny spindle gear above the idler tire in a GE 3-5259A Blockbuster? Mine is cracked and not spinning so I need a replacement. Anyone out there have a 3D model of one or know the dimensions? More drama for me and my box - I need a serious miracle.

9A5B793A-45D5-4672-BE33-8E04FC002B01.jpeg

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I've used plain old Krazy glue on similar things with good results.
It's nice and loose and creeps into small cracks/splits.
Obviously, it be a lot easier if you could extricate it from the player.

Reactions: BoxBeats

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Success! 6 hours into curing and I just put the gear back on and she’s spinning like a champ! I’m waiting the full 24 hours before I test it under load of a cassette. The cassette tape I’m using to test tomorrow is an old Wham! cassette. Totally fitting! Peace my fellow Boomboxer’s.

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
This box has a motor from Armenia I waited 3 weeks for, some tears from finding a crack in the original heads mount which I promptly replaced with a 3D printed one, new belts matched from a pile of bands from eBay and finally the cracked spindle gear which is looking like it works with JB Weld. I don’t care how fast or slow that Wham! cassette plays but if there is music tomorrow I just might stroke out - lol! I’ll teach myself how to adjust speed and azimuth if all goes well. Thanks guys and Homer whats his name for the repair guide.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
You can get the speed and azimuth pretty close by ear.
Of course, a 3khz tape makes speed adjustment a lot easier and precise.
For azimuth, I usually set it while in mono.
Turn the head adjustment screw until it sounds the best.
You can switch it to stereo and see if adjusting it sounds any better but usually the mono thing works well enough for mono and stereo.
Don't forget to put a dab of glue on all head screws when you're done.

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Update: The JB Weld didn’t hold up to the load of the cassette, maybe I was conservative with the epoxy? Sooo, in desperation I asked the designer who made the 3D model of the head mount replacement for the Blockbuster if he would consider modeling one. He’s thinking about it.

I couldn’t stop myself there, I am trying to make one myself with Autodesk Fusion 360 trialware. I made two prototypes with my marginal measuring skills and this cool add-on app called Spur Gear Generator. Just for laughs, I sent them out for printing to see what the hell happens.

If by some miracle I got it right, I’ll share the 3D model. If not, I have a funny story to tell —-The Saga Continues!

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
The meters!! and I’m praying the spindle gear is good. <—- doing the eWok dance! This will be a parts box!!! Thank you!

Matrixambience

Member (SA)
May 8, 2010
Strasburg,PA
I have not had chance to see if small spindle gear is cracked yet. I can’t get the cassette player to run since motor or maybe a circuit diode is faulty that controls motor is bad….. or the actual AC power cord plug board/ transformer is bad or weak. Thanks for all your help.

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
I have placed a small order of a revised spindle gear that I will list on eBay after testing and review. The revised gear fixes an issue of the gear seating properly. I added a small base of material at the bottom end to fix the issue. I’m digging learning CAD modeling and maybe I’ll make some replacement knobs for one of my boxes. I’ll let you know when I check everything out and list.

G-

177B3186-E7FB-435C-9630-AC8947A29AD5.png