Fixing a legend.....

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
That was a perfect bit of diagnostic work. Printed passives are the work of a sadistic, penny pinching pre-production engineer so finding and eliminating a bad one is always a pleasurable pastime. The replacement is easily neat enough to appear factory too.
That'll be the boombox fit to serve for a further 30 odd years then! Well done to both of you fellas for keeping a very fine radio alive.
:-)

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Wow!!!
Alls well that ends well.
This reminds me of the Dynasty that got you started in this hobby in the first place.
Congrats Joe.
A dam great job by you both!!!!

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Wow, that's great to hear you got it figured out. While you explain it well enough to make it seem, not easy but not hard, those pictures definitely show that it was no easy task at all. Great work. Very impressed.

Joe I can imagine your all giddy inside and out.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I can't think of anyone happier on this site right now than Joe, I know I'd be! Norm's username proves once again how apropos it is.

Shame on Panasonic of all companies for doing this on such a nice box. Printed traces make sense as a cost cutter since they only have to conduct, but resistors/caps?? The only time I've used them in a design is when they were printed on an inner layer where there's no chance to oxidize.

hagarthefish

Member (SA)
Mar 3, 2018
Preston, Lancashire
Wow, I just read through this whole post and although it was well over my head on the technical side, the story had me gripped and felt like many episodes of a soap. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger, happy and sad moments, this story has the lot.
Gotta love a happy ending though....always a solution to every problem, it's just finding it.....Well done guys! :clap: :clap: :clap:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I appreciate that and so glad this ended up being repairable after all that trouble.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
The 5350 has been my office blaster for the last 2 weeks. Running it for 9 hours a day with no issues.

Today is a sad day :'-( .

Only 2 hours into playing it I hear the sound fizzle out and the power light turn off. :sick:

I quickly got up to resuscitate my dear blaster. Checking switches, power cord, surge protector, everything...... and it's dead :huh: :thumbsdown: :sadno: :sick: :sad: :'-( :'-( :sad: :'-( :sad: :'-( .

I'm damn near crying at work right now all because of this boombox. I feel sick.

No simple solution right now until I get back from my weekend away from home. Hopefully it is something easy to fix.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
That sucks. Malfunctioning function switch? If it doubles as the power on/off, sometimes it gets damaged by arcing, as Norm told me. But if it doesn't respond at all to wiggling it, then maybe it's a blown fuse somewhere?

Superduper

Member (SA)
This model has a really sucky power switch. It’s one of those leaf lever types that’s mounted on the pcb next to the function switch. The function switch has a protruding piece that flips on the power switch lever as glides past it. I’m not saying it’s this for sure, but you’ll want to look at it. This poor design has killed many rx-5350’s. The leaf lever has a tendency to break off as it’s clearly not meant for high cycle use.

Relax Joe, dead Boomboxes are much easier to fix than Boomboxes with mysterious hum or other unexplained gremlins. On the other hand, this switch issue will take some ingenuity to rig up a new replacement.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Check if it is working on batteries.
Check for power on the rails.

Like Norm said it will be something simple.... hope it comes back to life again!

Good luck!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
This turned out to be an issue with the power/function switch. The 'leaf' just decided it didn't want to connect anymore while it was playing. I gave it another 1/2 dozen flips and finally heard a 'pop' noise like the power had bumped on for a second and noticed the power light flicker. Fiddled with the switch some more and now it is all back to A-OK normal!

Crisis diverted!

Thanks guys.