Exciting News: Aiwa is Supporting Our Upcoming Vegas Boombox Summit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Well I did get a response, but I think my email to Joe Born was too far ahead in advance, so he couldn't really commit to anything just yet :-/ Which is totally understandable...

So your email got to him at just the perfect time! And it all worked out. Now thanks to everyone's efforts, and one proud new owner of an Aiwa Exos 9, our Vegas meet is becoming more of a reality! :-) Can't wait for it all

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
riker1068 said:
Sold for $480
I bowed out at $465
I have 1 anyway.
I'll buy a BUMPBOXX instead :yes:
Dang! You were so close. Wish you would have got it. Wonder who the mystery winner was?

Superduper

Member (SA)
howie1976 said:
Wonder who the mystery winner was?
Hey Guys, just wanted to come out and say that I was the one that purchased this unit. I know there was some speculation about who bought it but I wanted to wait until the unit was paid for and arrived/tested before saying anything. Firstly this wasn't something that I could afford at the present time so I needed to pay for it using PayPal credit. Unfortunately, the seller configured their PayPal account wrong and checkout wouldn't work properly. We went back/forth with eBay and PayPal on the phone for a long time before PayPal finally fessed up and informed me that they have flagged this item as a suspicious transaction and therefore, they would not permit me to use PayPal credit on this transaction. In the end, we cancelled the sale and Aiwa relisted it as a BIN. The second time went right through. Different transaction, different item number, PayPal was none the wiser.
As I knew I would not be participating in the Vegas event, purchasing this and bumping up the sales price was the only way that I felt I could help out the group. After all, I had a blast at the west coast event hosted at Melly's place and it seemed like there was going to be a lot of first timers going this time around. Another thing was that since Aiwa was gracious enough to sponsor the event with the sale of this item, it seemed to me like it would be a darn shame if this item would have been sold to someone not even associated with Boomboxery -- so I made sure that it did not happen!
Normally, this isn't an item that I would purchase. Not my style, not the features I would've wanted, etc. I bid not thinking that I was buying an Aiwa EOS-9, rather I bid thinking that this was a benefit auction with proceeds going to help the guys rent out their event hall to gather and ogle at everyone else's boomboxes. Immediately afterwards, I did feel some guilt and remorse in making a purchase I really shouldn't have nor could afford. However, in retrospect, I'm glad that I did buy it. I'll put up a complete review on WikiBoombox when I get a chance. But let's just say that this is a good crossover audio device in terms of sound quality. Boomboxes has always been on a sub-par level when compared to home audio gear. However, the sound quality produced by this Aiwa is a step up compared to traditional boomboxes although I'm not quite prepared to call it equivalent to home-audio gear which is why I say crossover device. I could listen to this all day long with little to no listening fatigue, which is not the case with most boomboxes. It's the perfect workhorse device for my workshop or office for all day listening in a compact package that doesn't require a huge stereo rack with separate speakers.
I don't see much visual difference between this prototype and the regular ones being offered for sale although I am told that the speaker rings are chrome as opposed to painted plastic, that there was some differences in the back cabinet shell, and that it had no serial number? The note included with the item on Aiwa letter head authenticating it as a prototype owned by Joe Born was a really nice touch and for collectors, would be something to laminate or frame up due to the items historical (or trivia) significance. Anyway, here it is. It does sounds awesome! To the coordinators of this event, please take a moment and thank Joe Born & Co for their sponsorship. And because they sponsored the event, I do hope someone brings one of these things to the event since after all, for Aiwa's contribution, the least they should get in return is an opportunity to show off their device to the collectors participating in this meet. If it is necessary for me to ship this out to you guys, let me know. It might be a burden to handle a package properly packed and ship back/forth to the event and for the cost of the shipping to/fro but again, I suppose Aiwa deserves to have one of their products represented at the event.
Aiwa_Exos-9.jpg

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Hey Guys, just wanted to come out and say that I was the one that purchased this unit. I know there was some speculation about who bought it but I wanted to wait until the unit was paid for and arrived/tested before saying anything. Firstly this wasn't something that I could afford at the present time so I needed to pay for it using PayPal credit. Unfortunately, the seller configured their PayPal account wrong and checkout wouldn't work properly. We went back/forth with eBay and PayPal on the phone for a long time before PayPal finally fessed up and informed me that they have flagged this item as a suspicious transaction and therefore, they would not permit me to use PayPal credit on this transaction. In the end, we cancelled the sale and Aiwa relisted it as a BIN. The second time went right through. Different transaction, different item number, PayPal was none the wiser.

As I knew I would not be participating in the Vegas event, purchasing this and bumping up the sales price was the only way that I felt I could help out the group. After all, I had a blast at the west coast event hosted at Melly's place and it seemed like there was going to be a lot of first timers going this time around. Another thing was that since Aiwa was gracious enough to sponsor the event with the sale of this item, it seemed to me like it would be a darn shame if this item would have been sold to someone not even associated with Boomboxery -- so I made sure that it did not happen!

Normally, this isn't an item that I would purchase. Not my style, not the features I would've wanted, etc. I bid not thinking that I was buying an Aiwa EOS-9, rather I bid thinking that this was a benefit auction with proceeds going to help the guys rent out their event hall to gather and ogle at everyone else's boomboxes. Immediately afterwards, I did feel some guilt and remorse in making a purchase I really shouldn't have nor could afford. However, in retrospect, I'm glad that I did buy it. I'll put up a complete review on WikiBoombox when I get a chance. But let's just say that this is a good crossover audio device in terms of sound quality. Boomboxes has always been on a sub-par level when compared to home audio gear. However, the sound quality produced by this Aiwa is a step up compared to traditional boomboxes although I'm not quite prepared to call it equivalent to home-audio gear which is why I say crossover device. I could listen to this all day long with little to no listening fatigue, which is not the case with most boomboxes. It's the perfect workhorse device for my workshop or office for all day listening in a compact package that doesn't require a huge stereo rack with separate speakers.

I don't see much visual difference between this prototype and the regular ones being offered for sale although I am told that the speaker rings are chrome as opposed to painted plastic, that there was some differences in the back cabinet shell, and that it had no serial number? The note included with the item on Aiwa letter head authenticating it as a prototype owned by Joe Born was a really nice touch and for collectors, would be something to laminate or frame up due to the items historical (or trivia) significance. Anyway, here it is. It does sounds awesome! To the coordinators of this event, please take a moment and thank Joe Born & Co for their sponsorship. And because they sponsored the event, I do hope someone brings one of these things to the event since after all, for Aiwa's contribution, the least they should get in return is an opportunity to show off their device to the collectors participating in this meet. If it is necessary for me to ship this out to you guys, let me know. It might be a burden to handle a package properly packed and ship back/forth to the event and for the cost of the shipping to/fro but again, I suppose Aiwa deserves to have one of their products represented at the event.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Aiwa_Exos-9.jpg

This was very cool of you Norm 😎. Glad it went to someone in the family that'll take care of it 👍. One question though??? Don't your fingers hurt from all the typing?? Lol😆. Just kidding 😜

Bad Boy Bill

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
Superduper said:

Aiwa_Exos-9.jpg
Wow Norm!!!! This was truly awesome of you!! I'm so glad that this Exos is in the hands of a true collector. You got it for all the right reasons and on behalf of all the members that are going to benefit from your purchase I'd like to say THANK YOU!

I'm currently in the process I making an official poster for the event and I intend to list Aiwa as our primary sponsor.

Also, Steve (SLO) will be taking his Exos-9 to Vegas, so Aiwa will be well represented. 👍

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Superduper said:

Aiwa_Exos-9.jpg
WOW, THANK YOU NORM! I'm also glad it went to another Boomboxery member, especially to an OG collector like yourself. This is a huge contribution, and thanks to you, and everybody else's contributions, we will all be able to share a nice venue to mingle with each other, and blast our radios together. :thumbsup:

Thank you for offering to ship yours out for the Summit, but as Howie stated, I will be taking my Exos to Vegas to pay respect to Joe Born and his team over at AIWA, so this will give you more time to enjoy this little thumper. Congratulations Norm, you have a cool piece of AIWA history in your hands, enjoy it bro!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Thanks for saving this Aiwa from the depths of ebay and having an unknown buyer hide this from us. It is in good hands, and if you ever want/need to unload it I would like DIBS! Give me a few years to save up first ;-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Norm, once again, you are the THE MAN! I have had a chance to hear this machine thanks to SLO. They really are amazing sounding. Although I am bummed you won't be in Vegas, I'm glad we got to Rock out at Melly's place a few years back and with your other visits to Los Angeles. If you're ever back in So Cal hit me up!

Congrats and Thank You

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Reli said:
Smoked everything else at the meet!
Lol, thanks bro, I'm glad that many of you finally got to hear the aiwa Exos live and direct out in Las Vegas, I hope it gave you guys as much of an eargasm as it does for me, and thanks again to Joe Born for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.