Eating my lunch, checking ebay, wondering.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Got a reply from the seller :yes: .

Here is the conversation:

Dear billymo5,

Well, got the boombox today and it was busted in shipping. Wasn't packed by UPS shipping company like you stated. The tuner knob was smashed into the side of the case causing the case to crack through. That's the first issue.

The other issues are that it was in horrible condition! Why didn't you say that it had paint dumped on it and was scratched off with a screwdriver? Most of the gold/chrome trim is tarnished, corroded, and turning green! Sure, the cassette plays, radio gets stations, but that is the least of this boomboxes worries. I'm not sure what you want to do from here but I expect some kind of refund.

- blu_fuz

Dear blu_fuz,

I will issue you a refund, sorry about the damage in shipping that should not have happened. I will refund your payment.

- billymo5

and now another email just popped up "Your PayPal payment has been refunded". :thumbsup:

Damn, that was quick! I bet he really felt like an A-HOLE for not telling me about the cosmetic issues and figured he should bail out before it gets nasty :nonono: . Shoot, I didn't even get nasty yet! :lol: . Now I have to go give him a hug and a kiss :smooch: . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and maybe a kick to the ding-dong! :-O

I sent this reply:

Dear billymo5,

I was pretty upset yesterday about the boombox and I'm sorry if I came off a bit harsh. I realized it is what it is and the damage is done. I was expecting it to need some work and I will have my work cut out for me on this one for sure. I have always wanted this specific boombox so the plan is to restore it and get it looking new again to keep in my collection. I appreciate the full refund. Do you want any of the money back to help cover what you are out? Thanks - JOE

- blu_fuz

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
joe :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

you have a winwinwinwin :yes: :yes: :yes:
-----------------------------

in case it sounds as good as a good m70/71 SHOULD --
and you choose not to make a full cosmetic restoration --

( which on THAT one --looks like a 3 week PITA ) :'-( :nonono: :-D

there are plenty of cosmetic shortcuts to employ -- :-) ;-)
so - it will look GOOD - but not exactly CORRECT :cool:

LMK --if you need some instructions//photos of my own style
shortcut jobs

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
LOL Ira :lol:

Plan is to restore to as close to OG as I can :yes: .

What are your ideas? :hmmm:

bklyn sound

Member (SA)
Dec 7, 2011
hey joe i have extra rings and grill from an m70 in good shape if you need them they are yours... :thumbsup:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Sweeeeet Jimmy! :w00t:

I have a set of refinished grills and spare set of gold trim rings so after I clean up the M71 I will see what I need or have. Looks like I have to take some things out of my "for sale thread" from my other M71s :yes: :-D :w00t: .

It feels good to know that I can fix this up and probably have it looking and working like new again :yes: :breakdance:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Got a reply:

Dear blu_fuz,

No try to salvage what you can and hopefully you can get it up to the level that you can enjoy, thanks for the offer but it is not necessary to refund anything because i feel bad that it got so beat up during shipping but thanks for the offer!
Bill

- billymo5

:thumbsup:

Sweeet - I'm happy he doesn't want any $$ to cover some of his losses so this baby is a FREEBIE! :thumbsup: .

Maxx134

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2012
NYC USA
blu_fuz said:
Sweeeeet Jimmy! :w00t:

I have a set of refinished grills and spare set of gold trim rings so after I clean up the M71 I will see what I need or have. Looks like I have to take some things out of my "for sale thread" from my other M71s :yes: :-D :w00t: .

It feels good to know that I can fix this up and probably have it looking and working like new again :yes: :breakdance:
I am glad it worked out for you.
As a newb I am very intetested what the experienced memebers hers would do in the process to restoration.

I would guess you would take the outer front, back and top shells and submerse i soapy water for a while??
For crack, auto bondo and paint?
how about the metal surfaces? polishing compound?
Repaint knobs?
I would be very valuable information to know & I would appreciate it very much :)

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Here are the last 2 M71s I bought from the same guy and my restoration thread.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13908&hilit=m71jw

I paid SOOOOO much $$ for those 2 ugly boxes that I had to try to restore one all the way and turn the other into a parts box. Worst part was, after restoring one, I only wanted to sell it so I could try to make my money back from that bogus deal :thumbsdown: . It left a bad taste in my mouth and just needed to get away from it even though it looked great. I couldn't justify keeping it after having over $500 into it! :-O :thumbsdown: . It sold on ebay to a guy in Australia for $600 + $140 shipping. After the ebay and paypal fees, I walked away with $500 and broke even on the entire deal from my original purchase price all the way to the end with the sale price.

But, the best part is I learned so much about these boxes and the process of restoring them :yes: .

Soapy water, tooth picks, windex, bondo, paint, clear, wax, goo gone, febreeze, you name it - it will probably be used in the resto! :yes:

Maxx134

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2012
NYC USA
Superduper said:
I am confident you will give that baby new life. :yes:
I see in your avatar you have an m70 in red?
did you know that you can apply nail polish remover to the area above the bottom jvc emblem, the "MMS" logo area.
And if you do so you lose the small lettering, but you gain a super mirrored finish look! over that whole area !
I did this to my original when I was a kid :)

bdoorm

Member (SA)
Aug 29, 2011
Waterford, NJ USA
Whew!!!! I don't feel so bad that I didn't win it now, but getting it for free is totally worth it! Congratulations again!. And I checked out the restoration thread. Great job on the restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.