*does anyone like boomboxes from the 1990's......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
hardmen said:
Ira.
When you hear the Aiwa Exos 9 in person, you certainly change your opinion.
Better controlled bass even outdoors...
My kaboom for comparison it's the Victor RV-X70, thar I have since 2009.
I'm looking for an DT 680 for a long time, but they still are very expensive here.
Cheers.
I can send you a RX-DT680 if you cover the (admittedly huge) cost of shipping. :-)

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
I have had the PC-X200/300/500, and the PC-V66/77 from the JVC line. I still have the daddies of the units I mentioned prior, which are the PC-V1 and PC-V2 from 1987/88 respectively. No Kabooms though.

I have had DT-680's and others from Panasonic from the 90's.

Nothing wrong with 90's boxes depending on what they are. There were some really good ones by Sony, Sharp, Sanyo, and Aiwa as well. Unfortunately, the build and audio quality suffered greatly towards the end of the 80's and was way worse by the 90's. People switched away from the need to carry and openly share music affecting the economies of scale required for robust materials, labor, and design. This includes Walkman's as well as people drifted away from cassettes to CD, and then away from CD because the skipping issue, despite buffers, along with disasters due to scratches etc. was never really solved in CD portables. :-)

mesa8699

Member (SA)
Nov 16, 2014
SWFL
I used to have, well still have but broken a JVC PC-V88 missing a speaker and some of the cosmetics are busted. I got it when I went to college to use in my dorm room in 1991. Before that the last Boombox I had was a JVC RC-M70jw that I got when I was a Kid in the 80's. Just bought another one a few years Back had to have my Old school JVC again. But I really Did like the PC-V88 it was a Awesome sounding and versatile piece.

neanderthal

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2016
I prefer the 90s boxes too. Late 80s/ early 90s.

I personally had a Sharp WF-T380E, and i'm waiting for the one I just won on Ebay. It probably won't be in great condition, but I just wanted one. With the right tape it would shock you how well it sounded. We once played it at high volume in a large empty room
(I think it was about 15m by 25m) and it filled that whole place with the most glorious sound. We were playing a high bias pro level tape. It really surprised us all.
My buddy had a Sharp WQ-T360E and I loved those crate handles. It thumped magnificently too, nice deep bass. Actually two buddies had them.
My cousin had a Hitachi 3D80E that was just loud. I only ever got to play with it for one weekend.
In high school my mate had a Phillips that looked like the AW7694 that he never used to blast. He always played it at low volume but its bass at low volume was unbelievable. The little Sony whatever it was I had at the time couldn't produce bass like that at higher volumes.

paulb4uk

Member (SA)
Jan 13, 2016
uk swindon wiltshire
Sharp wf cd77 bought from ebay uk for 0.99p and £8.00 postage speaker foam gave up but have repaired one so far using rubber surroun from some cheap and nasty alpine car speakers laser has failed but i bought a replacement and hope to get it fitted soon ,tape deck sounds like it has a sticking solenoid .I love this one sounds good and is powerful for what it is i prefer the early boomboxes but some of the later ones are great.

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
whereas a lot of guys see the nineties stereos as passe or too modern,the truth be known when i was still collecting them i used to love them,i think its because its when i started buying these new,in the nineties,my first being a panasonic rx ds30.followed by an rx ed77.

crazygamer

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2015
Estonia, Tallinn
To bring up this thread again, i´d like to add that i do give quite a lot love to 90s boxes as i deem myself a 90s kid :lol: And some of them sound great :thumbsup: From 90s boxes, i happen to own quite a few and i´d love to show some pictures of them as well. :yes:

Sony CFD-V20 (1996)- rather basic looking box with not too much special features, but works perfectly well and Mega Bass improves the sound quite a lot. IMG_4523.JPG

Panasonic RX-ED77 (1998)- Just legendary sound, excellent looks and perfect build quality, must have for every collector ! :thumbsup: IMG_5082.JPG

Panasonic RX-ES30 (1999)- This is the first from ES- wedge series, it´s perfect in overall, sound is excellent, screen is little bit too small, but backlit, by the sound it´s comparable with Cobra but as Cobra has bigger drivers and bigger output power, Cobra wins the competition. With equalizer settings and Sound Virtualizer this sounds just excellent ! :thumbsup: Only downside is that CD deck eject is done mechanically, for piece this high tech they should have done it better :lol: IMG_4972.JPG

And the last one so far, the Aiwa CSD-ED37 (1999)- This is excellent looking radio to me, it´s quite big and little bit heavy as well, not too high end piece for sure. It´s design for me is spot on. It screams of 90s ufonautic and eggish looks but paint scheme and colours used are just like from 80s, when you look at it´s silver/blue looks, old 80s CS-660/CS-600/CS-880 come to your mind. Very basic controls and options, but very good pre-set equalizer settings, good woofers and also a digital tuner. Looks like my Aiwa CS-600´s little son to me :lol: IMG_5119.JPG

Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
I have a few '90s 'boomeurs' - all Sonys

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:27446]

My CFS-W455 - a recent score

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:3018]

My CFS-W304 - first boombox obtained in this century!

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:3017]

My CFD-510 - wanted one for years. Now that I have one... meh...

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Sounds lousy? I don't think so.

I admit that the mids & highs aren't very crisp. But you know you can adjust them, right?

Still sounds better than an Elephant box IMO

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
The VU meter sucks actually, it has a huge delay factor. I was disappointed.

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
920109798_hitachi_msw_600.jpgreally enjoying this post.and now a hitachi ms w600 has joined my clan.similar to the one in the pic above.great sounding,spectrum analiser too :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.