** DIY V3.0 under construction - 3 way, 6 speaker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Reli said:
Ah I see. Still, nothing wrong with even more power, it would prolong the onset of distortion.

Love those speaker colors.
True! More power is desirable and I've considered upgrading the amp to something with 50-100 watts RMS per channel. The problem that arises is the power supply. 20 watts per channel is about the max that can be achieved from 12 volts. To jump up to more power equals a power requirement of between 24v-36v. Efficiency also goes out the window too. So I'd end up needing both more batteries and bigger batteries (even more weight) to get a nice, long weekend of run time my V1 & V2 achieve.

The charging system would also have to be customised to recharge the system. The Lepai amps output power is rated at 0.1% THD - (not 10%!) so the signal being fed to the speakers is very clean.

I had Dan (McBlaster) visit me last night. I think he was pretty blown away by the clean power of the V2 box. Those 8 inch Sony drivers really do get a work out and the bass is just so clean and strong! The Lepai should have no problem driving these smaller 5 inch speakers.

Anyway, I'll only know how this V3 thing sounds when it's built! :-)

Back to the workshop........ :-)

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Update: Still working on the plywood case. Today whilst out on my run, I spotted a roadside pair of minty Sony speakers with the cool, blue speakers - gotta love free speakers.

Turns out, although the outer casings and the speaker cones colour is different, the actual 3 way speakers inside are otherwise the same as the ones I'm already using for this project! :-)

View attachment 18283

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
^ whoa excellent!

If that set of blue sony speakers fit inside a GF-777, that would be a cool upgrade too.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Unfortunately, these speakers won't be compatible with your GF-777 for two reasons:
1. They are only 5 inch speakers.
2. They are actually 12 ohm speakers individually. They collectively drop to 6 ohms when wired up together.

Sorry dude,

James.... :-)

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Dang that sucks. Atleast I can stop obsessing about them! Thanks for the info. I think my RCAs are also 5" or just a little smaller.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Where do you guys live where people leave speakers on the curb for all to see? Some student ghetto or something? :lol: Here everyone uses bins, and nothing is visible.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Reli said:
Where do you guys live where people leave speakers on the curb for all to see? Some student ghetto or something? :lol: Here everyone uses bins, and nothing is visible.
Every year, the local council allocates suburbs a two week period where they are allowed to place unwanted items out front for a free collection. The Ebay scabs check the council web site for dates and normally scoop the lot.

The locals in some of the classier suburbs ignore the two week rule and leave stuff out all year round - good for me that I don't have to compete with all the Ebay gurus.:-)

Update:

Today, I've just finished glueing up the end panels. Just need to trial fit the front panel and start cutting the speaker holes. The eagle eyed will notice I've gone with 12mm end panels to save some weight and reduce the width slightly.
View attachment 18442
View attachment 18441
View attachment 18443

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
I'm working on a custom moded too, using that car component that I show on another thread.

But I don't have that "clamps" to joint the glued wood,so I figure another way to joint my glued woods...

I'm use raw MDF wood in my project.

Soon, I share some pics.

Cheers.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
hardmen said:
I'm working on a custom moded too, using that car component that I show on another thread.
But I don't have that "clamps" to joint the glued wood,so I figure another way to joint my glued woods...
I'm use raw MDF wood in my project.
Soon, I share some pics.
Cheers.
Those clamps do come in handy!

I'm looking forward to seeing that 3 piece combo of yours in action!

I would advise against MDF if you plan on making your project portable. It's super heavy, can't cope with moisture and isn't structural strong enough IMHO.

If you have already made your cabinet, make sure you use long screws after pre-drilling the holes on all joints!!

James.... :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.