DiamondBoxx taking preorders on new model L2

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I'm sure it sounds great, but is not a boombox. Bluetooth speaker that is very expensive. Worth it? That's all in the eye of the beholder. I only bought the bumpboxx because it has a little more of a old school boombox shape AND a FM tuner, but at $500+ that's still a stretch for a disposable product (no serviceable parts). I have to have a tuner and other features besides just bluetooth to enjoy it. Bumpboxx supposedly had a tuner but doesn't advertise that it is almost useless so really now I just own a giant bluetooth speaker.

It has to have more than just a box shape to be a boombox.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I've said it many times but I think the DJ-Tech nailed it. Why are they no longer selling them? IDK because they could very easily sell a bunch more

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
Rimmer36 said:
.....The classics for when I need ‘the look’ and the Diamondboxx for when I need maximum performance! :rock:
Ok, but how do I tune into my favorite radio station & play it back in maximum performance with it? Or my recorded cassette tapes? No can do? Uhhhh...... well Ok, no problem, just tell me where’s the CD slot then.
Totally agree Norm, as far as im aware these don't even have tone controls lol

:lol:

am i incorrect Jimmy? please fill us in :-)

You are correct! The bass and treble are controlled from your bluetooth device [mobile phone, tablet, computer.] using a graphic EQ applet. Otherwise, I find that I don't need it. The DiamondBoxx corrects for sound quality.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Transistorized said:
I've said it many times but I think the DJ-Tech nailed it. Why are they no longer selling them? IDK because they could very easily sell a bunch more
Yes, marketing would have done WONDERS for this blaster's production numbers.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Transistorized said:
Because they're in Hong Kong and don't really care what happens here. They abandoned their US sales contractors. They couldn't compete with the big brands of DJ mixers & turntables.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Superduper said:
Bumpboxx and DJ Tech have bass and treble knobs. I don't know what the Diamondboxx has.

I'm not sure about adding a CD player into something so bass-heavy. Even the Kaboom has problems with its CD player vibrating and making noise during heavy bass.
Reli, I read this in one of your previous posts & immediately went to my kaboom & played it at either max, or near max volume & max bass . I had zero audible issues with vibration so it could be that this problem is not a widespread one.

@jimmy; I’m not being defensive nor was it intended as such, really merely stating facts and expanding on Floyd’s post. When I was first attracted to Boomboxes starting with my first (a smallish mono superscope), it was because it was all-in-one. For performance, I had my home seperates but I never did lump those 2-means of audio enjoyment together. To me then and now, they are not the same class. That’s because to me a Boombox is far more than a audio device with a battery, it is something that is self contained, the ability to have music with nothing else required. That’s why even though I had those too, walkmans were never considered to me to be Boomboxes either since it’s missing a needed ingredient. Now comes things like these.... strip out the tuner, strip out the cassette, strip out or never include a CD to begin, heck strip out everything except speakers, and call it a Boombox simply because it has a golf cart battery in it. Uh, no. That’s why without something as simple as a tuner, standalone, it’s merely a huge paperweight. Maybe when they figure out how to add a tuner to their $900 product, something that others have figured out how to do on their $19.95 offerings, I’ll look at it in a different light. In the meantime, it’s just another Bluetooth portable speaker system, nothing more and it’s definitely not a Boombox because it has none of the features or defining criteria to compare with an M90 or anything else. This does not mean that there’s no place for this “new” form of audio device. Just like a car or home amplifier has its place, and I have car and home audio gear. But they aren’t Boomboxes. Anyhow thats how I’ve always felt and will always feel, even though it’s just a name, yet I’m passionate about it because for 40 years, my idea and defining criteria of a boombox is what I love.
I'm 100% with you Norm.

But I will add, in my OPINION, a "Boombox" is a 1970's-80's creation that only existed up to maybe 1991-2. Every egg, cobra top, compo, tube and bluetooth speaker from the 1990's forward is something else. They are sound reproduction devices with it's own category and features.

A Boombox as has been previously defined by this website stand alone and are separate from these new systems. In my opinion, even the DJ tech falls outside of the category of "Boombox" as it is a mobile mixing board that happens to have built in speakers on the front that "resembles" a classic Boombox. Of anything that has been produced today, I would say the GPO is the only thing that stands up as a Boombox and is more than just a bluetooth speaker (ignoring build quality).

To the purchaser of these new devices, have at it. It's all a personal choice. IMO, Boomboxery has always been about CLASSIC Boomboxes (1970's and 80's) as it's main focus. I do think Bobby (owner of Boomboxery) should start a "Bluetooth Speaker" section much like there is a "Walkman" section, "Turntable" section and so on so these devices can be debated, compared and critiqued in the right environment. IMO, these shouldn't be compared to the classics, placed into the same category as the classes and the classics shouldn't be held to their modern sound standards just as these devices shouldn't be held to the feature packed standards of the classics. They are simply different.

AND....this modern stuff is CRAP! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rock:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Jimmy, the thing is that to me, it has to be a standalone device that is capable of producing music without connecting another device. That means it MUST have a tuner. Without a built in tuner, then the device simply doesn't function without connecting something else to it. Just like an amplifier requires you to connect a tape deck or CD player, or tuner, or record player -- without those auxiliary devices, it is nothing. OK, when an amplifier has it's own volume control, then it becomes an integrated amplifier. However, if an amplifier has built in speakers, does that make it a boombox? No. And if that device is bluetooth capable, does it then make it a boombox? No, it still does not. It makes it a bluetooth speaker system. And in truth, that is exactly what it is. It is purposely built specifically for that purpose, and there are many devices exactly like that. They deserve their own category where like Chris says, can be compared, reviewed and debated among themselves, oranges to oranges. Unlike Chris however, I don't draw the line on any particular date in defining boomboxes because I still think that eggs are boomboxes, just not classic boomboxes.

So why is a tuner so important to me? Because for 45 years, it's virtually all I ever listen to. When I grab a boombox to go, I KNOW that I'll have music even if I don't bring any cassettes or CD's or iPod, or any other recorded program. Or I can listen to the ballgame when I'm working. Or listen to talk radio, or what have you. Or if the device has extra features such as cassettes, CD, line-in, whatever, I can listen to my hearts content if I have those with me.

But these new devices, how can I listen to the radio? Bring my own separate tuner? Bring another boombox and use it's line-out to connect to this device's line-in? How can requiring the presence of a separate boombox (and a "real" boombox, if I may argue) make any sense if the diamondbox (and similar such things) is also a boombox? It does not and therefore, by extension, these are not boomboxes. However, what do they do? They amplify bluetooth audio and while I have never tried them, I surmise that they do this well, and is what they are designed for. So let's just call them what they are..... Amplified Bluetooth speaker systems. Why is this name perfect? Because they are amplifiers that REQUIRE a bluetooth connection (or other audio source) to do anything. Just like an amplfier, without a signal source, just sits there, pretty, and produces nothing.

Now, have I got anything against Walkmans? Absolutely not. I own some, and back in the day, spent a whole lot of money on some nice ones too. But today, I don't like being burdened with headsets so I don't use them anymore and have zero interest in them. So I purposely do not follow the walkman forum. But those who do can visit that forum and those topics, so everyone is happy right?

So my personal feeling, and I've said this before already, is that we should create a Bluetooth speaker category. Then everyone will be happy. Chris, you agree? If yes, can you and other mods maybe contact Bobby and perhaps run this by him?

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Superduper said:
Jimmy, the thing is that to me, it has to be a standalone device that is capable of producing music without connecting another device. That means it MUST have a tuner. Without a built in tuner, then the device simply doesn't function without connecting something else to it. Just like an amplifier requires you to connect a tape deck or CD player, or tuner, or record player -- without those auxiliary devices, it is nothing. OK, when an amplifier has it's own volume control, then it becomes an integrated amplifier. However, if an amplifier has built in speakers, does that make it a boombox? No. And if that device is bluetooth capable, does it then make it a boombox? No, it still does not. It makes it a bluetooth speaker system. And in truth, that is exactly what it is. It is purposely built specifically for that purpose, and there are many devices exactly like that. They deserve their own category where like Chris says, can be compared, reviewed and debated among themselves, oranges to oranges. Unlike Chris however, I don't draw the line on any particular date in defining boomboxes because I still think that eggs are boomboxes, just not classic boomboxes.

So why is a tuner so important to me? Because for 45 years, it's virtually all I ever listen to. When I grab a boombox to go, I KNOW that I'll have music even if I don't bring any cassettes or CD's or iPod, or any other recorded program. Or I can listen to the ballgame when I'm working. Or listen to talk radio, or what have you. Or if the device has extra features such as cassettes, CD, line-in, whatever, I can listen to my hearts content if I have those with me.

But these new devices, how can I listen to the radio? Bring my own separate tuner? Bring another boombox and use it's line-out to connect to this device's line-in? How can requiring the presence of a separate boombox (and a "real" boombox, if I may argue) make any sense if the diamondbox (and similar such things) is also a boombox? It does not and therefore, by extension, these are not boomboxes. However, what do they do? They amplify bluetooth audio and while I have never tried them, I surmise that they do this well, and is what they are designed for. So let's just call them what they are..... Amplified Bluetooth speaker systems. Why is this name perfect? Because they are amplifiers that REQUIRE a bluetooth connection (or other audio source) to do anything. Just like an amplfier, without a signal source, just sits there, pretty, and produces nothing.

Now, have I got anything against Walkmans? Absolutely not. I own some, and back in the day, spent a whole lot of money on some nice ones too. But today, I don't like being burdened with headsets so I don't use them anymore and have zero interest in them. So I purposely do not follow the walkman forum. But those who do can visit that forum and those topics, so everyone is happy right?

So my personal feeling, and I've said this before already, is that we should create a Bluetooth speaker category. Then everyone will be happy. Chris, you agree? If yes, can you and other mods maybe contact Bobby and perhaps run this by him?
A Boombox is a Boombox. I get it. :-)
A BT speaker is a BT speaker. I get that too.

I think it all depends on what angle you come to this hobby. I’m personally more into the music than the machine. I always liked high end Boomboxes because they made the music sound good.

I love studying the details of vintage boxes - the stunning looks, build quality and feature count etc is very satisfying to behold.

But after another 14 hour working day, I arrive home at 8:30 pm and what do I grab for maximum musical impact?? A DIY box. Hey, I’m at home, no one is looking, no one is going to laugh at me and my garage box. :lol:

I get the love a good tuner though. I listen to ABC radio all day in the van - the Australian Broadcasting Corporation has some very interesting stuff going on - keeps my brain occupied while I do my very boring job. :-)

Incidentally, my upcoming DIY V7.0 build will have a proper FM tuner with twin telescopic antennas. :-)

I know, although it will have a tuner, it’s still not a Boombox.

I get it. :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Superduper said:

I agree with everything by the EGG comments :lol: :lol: :sick: :sick: :sick: Eggs are not Boxes regardless if they boom or not.

I have sent a message to FatDog requesting the addition of a new Bluetooth Speaker section.

I

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:

I think it all depends on what angle you come to this hobby. I’m personally more into the music than the machine. I always liked high end Boomboxes because they made the music sound good.

I love studying the details of vintage boxes - the stunning looks, build quality and feature count etc is very satisfying to behold.

But after another 14 hour working day, I arrive home at 8:30 pm and what do I grab for maximum musical impact?? A DIY box. Hey, I’m at home, no one is looking, no one is going to laugh at me and my garage box. :lol:

I get the love a good tuner though. I listen to ABC radio all day in the van - the Australian Broadcasting Corporation has some very interesting stuff going on - keeps my brain occupied while I do my very boring job. :-)

Incidentally, my upcoming DIY V7.0 build will have a proper FM tuner with twin telescopic antennas. :-)

I also feel that a tuner is an important component in this argument of what a Boombox is. Not just from a nostalgia point of view, but also going along with what Norm said.

The initial idea of the Boombox was an ALL IN ONE Swiss army knife of portable audio equipment. It mixed usability with Japanese technical ability that was so prevalent at the time, to make things smaller and cheaper. They were technical marvels that had as many inputs and playback capabilities as possible.

The Bluetooth speaker is just the audio output of the smart phone. The inputs (phone line in, cassette, AM/FM/SW, CD) are all condensed in to the smart phone and the Bluetooth speaker is the housing that makes noise. But these are certainly separate components.

IMO, FM radio is nearly obsolete (due to the type of music played on it), but I would never leave the house to head to a BBQ or the Park with a Boombox without an FM tuner.

WHY????

Because I like to be overly prepared:
Pocket full of tapes? CHECK
Classic Blaster modded for Bluetooth? CHECK
FM Tuner CHECK!!!!

Because you never know where that party could lead. More times than not, the party has moved from the BBQ in the park back to someones house. Already gone through the 5 cassettes you brought? Switch to Bluetooth. Played all your MP3's on your phone / phone battery low / no cell service to stream music?

Or Maybe....
the 10 girls you met at the park that thought you were that "Cool Older Guy with the boombox" think it would be PERFECT to bring back to the sorority house for a late night skinny dipping party. But sadly, you only have your DEATH METAL cassettes and MP3 collection with you. But they don't want to hear Deicide, Nile or Morbid Angel. They like modern Pop Crap.

What are you going to do?

Switch to FM! Plenty of Pop Crap there!
OH LOOK :w00t: The sorority girls are doing Jagermeister Shots! :clap: Good thing you have FM :yes: :-D

FM is ALWAYS an option for music

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
I also feel that a tuner is an important component in this argument of what a Boombox is. Not just from a nostalgia point of view, but also going along with what Norm said.

The initial idea of the Boombox was an ALL IN ONE Swiss army knife of portable audio equipment. It mixed usability with Japanese technical ability that was so prevalent at the time, to make things smaller and cheaper. They were technical marvels that had as many inputs and playback capabilities as possible.

The Bluetooth speaker is just the audio output of the smart phone. The inputs (phone line in, cassette, AM/FM/SW, CD) are all condensed in to the smart phone and the Bluetooth speaker is the housing that makes noise. But these are certainly separate components.

IMO, FM radio is nearly obsolete (due to the type of music played on it), but I would never leave the house to head to a BBQ or the Park with a Boombox without an FM tuner.

WHY????

Because I like to be overly prepared:
Pocket full of tapes? CHECK
Classic Blaster modded for Bluetooth? CHECK
FM Tuner CHECK!!!!

Because you never know where that party could lead. More times than not, the party has moved from the BBQ in the park back to someones house. Already gone through the 5 cassettes you brought? Switch to Bluetooth. Played all your MP3's on your phone / phone battery low / no cell service to stream music?

Or Maybe....
the 10 girls you met at the park that thought you were that "Cool Older Guy with the boombox" think it would be PERFECT to bring back to the sorority house for a late night skinny dipping party. But sadly, you only have your DEATH METAL cassettes and MP3 collection with you. But they don't want to hear Deicide, Nile or Morbid Angel. They like modern Pop Crap.

What are you going to do?

Switch to FM! Plenty of Pop Crap there!
OH LOOK :w00t: The sorority girls are doing Jagermeister Shots! :clap: Good thing you have FM :yes: :-D

FM is ALWAYS an option for music
Wow, FM really is the key to happiness in your neck of the woods wilh all the nude chicks and all. :lol:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Barb Bush said:
.....The classics for when I need ‘the look’ and the Diamondboxx for when I need maximum performance! :rock:
Ok, but how do I tune into my favorite radio station & play it back in maximum performance with it? Or my recorded cassette tapes? No can do? Uhhhh...... well Ok, no problem, just tell me where’s the CD slot then.
Totally agree Norm, as far as im aware these don't even have tone controls lol :lol:

You are correct! The bass and treble are controlled from your bluetooth device [mobile phone, tablet, computer.] using a graphic EQ applet. Otherwise, I find that I don't need it. The DiamondBoxx corrects for sound quality.

what a shame...another reason not to buy one

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
I have sent a message to FatDog requesting the addition of a new Bluetooth Speaker section.
Conversation has been open since December in our section Chris. No reply from FD, or anyone....

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
Rimmer36 said:
Totally agree Norm, as far as im aware these don't even have tone controls lol :lol:

what a shame...another reason not to buy one

Don't knock it 'till you try it! The DiamondBoxx sound quality destroys any old boombox out there.

People poo-poo over new and improved. I get it, some people don't like change. And that's ok.

I'm just letting you hear my opinion. You might not think it but I value yours.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Reli said:
Wouldn't doubt FM will fade away in 15-20 years anyway
I don’t believe that, as long as there is a station playing genres I like, it’s what I like to listen to. I also watch & listen to stuff on YouTube or pandora on occasion but unless Wifi becomes free & public, I can’t see it hurting FM. First you can listen to FM passively & let the radio DJ mix the music for you. At some point, listening to your own saved stuff over & over again gets old. And it’s a chore to be constantly choosing and making your own playlists, and connecting your device, etc. And then driving... doesn’t everyone just start up their car & go (radio already automatically playing the last station) or does everyone always fuss with their smartphone & not focus on the road? Or maybe that’s why cars are always drifting into my lane nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.