Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Kenpat said:
Don't let the Cpl. see those... :w00t: :lol: :lol:

On second thought, they would fit right in. Imagine how stunning they would look on one of his projects.
BAM!!! Thanx for reviving this thread. Now I see them for sure & yes, they just might end up on a future project!!!

Cpl

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Well, call me wrong and paint me purple!

If they could just improve the design a little, could be cool....if the electric's hold up better than the TDK, they will have a winner

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
:huh: :huh:
Expensive is the one thing that it isn't compared to some high end boxes of the 1980s! It's cheaper than a JVC PC-5 was in 1982, by $113.75..

This takes inflation and the CoI index into account as your $1000 in 1982 was only $403.34 and the Dollar equivalent of the JVC's Retail Price - in Boro Hi-Fi, down in Newcastle Upon Tyne - at that time was $517.09. The big shops like Curry, Rumbelow and Dixons would have been within coppers either side of that, so much more expensive than the 2015 boombox at its current price.

By that logic, James' box must be worth a good bit over as it's made from decent timber and doesn't look like a Portapak arc welder which, by the way, I'd far sooner carry round with me than thon green thing, even if its current price is far more reasonable than I first thought when I saw that it had four numbers to the left of the point. :-)

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Just from a curiosity stand point, I'd love to see some shots of the Diamond Boxx internals. I'm intrigued to see how they managed to make it so lightweight and yet still provide a solid, dead cabinet that an audiophile box would require.

To have audiophile grade sound, they must have at least separated each channel with internal walls and have tuned the individual speaker cabinets and bass ports. They must have also isolated the internal components from the speakers and crossovers. I can't help it, I need specs, I need some numbers!! :-)

James.... :-)

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
Seriously tho. I like the concept and I like a great deal of the execution. I have had a long time idea of taking some small analog kit and doing on the street acid busking. I think that would be a ton of fun. With all the boxes I have including the kaboom none of them are up to the task. I mean a resonant filter tweak on any synth though any boombox doesn't sound very happy . This video seems to have some electronic muso gear in it so maybe that's been taken into account. To be honest if I could find something up to the task it could look like anything short of a pink anal stimulator as long as it could do the job. I'm pretty freaking lazy or I would have made one already.i think 1000 bucks is a lot to drop on this especially when I take into consideration I have two Mackie active monitors that pound out 550 watts each through 15 inch speakers for around 600 bux. That being said they aren't portable and rolands cube amp is 300 bucks with only 50 watts. I'd jump on it for 6 bills but at a grand it's to lofty. Spec wise tho I can't see this thing not decimating any production boomer of any era. I think these guys need to market this more as a e musicians portable system than a blaster. IMHO it's a mistake.

robster

Member (SA)
Jan 24, 2012
usa
Howdy- I bought a Diamondboxx and I'm extremely happy with it, sounds very good, fantastic bass and the build quality is extremely good. For me the price tag is not too bad, I need a very good sounding boom box to take with me when we travel and to use at our community pool and deck. I'm using a Pono music player hooked up to it and it rocks! My only vintage boxes to compare it to are the several JVC kaboom's I've owned over the years and a JVC M70, the Diamondboxx beats the kaboom in low end and sounds much better at higher volumes.
Sorry I'm too afraid to open the Diamondboxx up it has 20 screws holding the front to the mdf cabinet and those screws are in to tight for me to get them to turn.

Cheers,
Robert

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
the Diamondboxx beats the kaboom in low end
OK, I'm in, who has them for sale in the UK? :lol:

systemaddict said:
Ok so it sounds very good, it's still ugly as f**k though lol :lol:
Oh come on, please don't sugar coat it! If you don't like its looks just come right out and say so! :lol:

I have to confess at this point that the three best sounding devices in this house are also the three least pretty. OK, scrub that, make it two. The second and third best sounding are the second and third least pretty. :thumbsup:

But the best sound comes from the best looking (mains only...) box known to humankind.

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
I think we should support new boombox efforts by ,at the very least, not discouraging them.

If they can hang in there long enough, the product could evolve into a masterpiece.

For raw material to build a classic look on, this one looks the best. Certainly better than those suitcase models people have been building lately.

needs:
longer handle with chrome ends.
chrome / metal grills.
vu meters
more lights

which can all be added to the existing design.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
restocat said:
I think we should support new boombox efforts by ,at the very least, not discouraging them.
If they can hang in there long enough, the product could evolve into a masterpiece.
For raw material to build a classic look on, this one looks the best. Certainly better than those suitcase models people have been building lately.
needs:
longer handle with chrome ends.
chrome / metal grills.
vu meters
more lights
which can all be added to the existing design.
I say congrats to the new owner of the Diamond box. :-) $1000 is an ok price IMHO. I certainly think it's a better deal than a Pioneer Disco Robo for over $1500 so far! http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291379325311 or a suitcase job for $1500 plus!

I don't get why people dump on a new product that also happens to have superior performance!
If the Diamond Box was available with a tape deck back in the early 80s, they would have sold a **** load after punters compared the sound in the shops.

Consider it's actually cheaper in today's $$$$s than the high end 80s boxes.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
It already has VU meters.

I just don't see where the $1,000 comes from, considering that even when TDK 3-speakers were selling for full price, they still only fetched $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.