Diamond Box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
I think it's pretty cool...BUT you won`t get the same respect, or feeling that you would get with a big classic grail with all the bling...well at least not for me, but props to the guy for making this i give him the big :thumbsup:!

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
I think he's fighting a hopeless battle. It's not sound quality, accessories, or even appearance that people are looking for.

It's size.

Vintage, modern , or post-modern it's going to run into the problem that is common to all boomboxes. People today appreciate convenience above all, which means the smaller, the better.

The consumer would rather buy an iPhone, which is probably going to eventually put iPods on the scrapheap of history because it combines two functions into one.

It's a noble effort, and if it cost a third of that , mass-produced, I'd check one out. But it will never get that far.

Just sayin'.

static2000g

Member (SA)
Sep 23, 2014
Kenpat said:
I think he's fighting a hopeless battle. It's not sound quality, accessories, or even appearance that people are looking for.

It's size.

Vintage, modern , or post-modern it's going to run into the problem that is common to all boomboxes. People today appreciate convenience above all, which means the smaller, the better.

The consumer would rather buy an iPhone, which is probably going to eventually put iPods on the scrapheap of history because it combines two functions into one.

It's a noble effort, and if it cost a third of that , mass-produced, I'd check one out. But it will never get that far.

Just sayin'.
I agree but disagree. If I would have told you in 2008 that big HUGE headpones were going to make a comeback and sell for 300 bucks -would you have believed me???? I walked in Best Buy over the holidays and saw a whole entire 2 rows dedicated to big headphones. lol

Who knew????????

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
:hmmm: You have a point. I have a large pair of so-so quality Sony's that I use for waking around, but as soon as I walk in the door, out comes the late-sixties era Sansui SS-20's. So I resemble that remark. :blush:

I hate ear buds. Nothing beats a good pair of padded, 2-way, 8 ohm headphones with volume & tone controls on each side, at least in my experience. Especially if you are listening to music spread out over the last 100 years, and on the original media type. Bigger CAN be better. :-D

But even large headphones are smaller than the boomboxes speakers, and walking around with headphones defeats the whole raison d'etre of the boombox entirely. You can't share or broadcast your music.

You're right. Six of one, half a dozen the other. Looks more and more like a prototype with every post. Niche market at best in it's current configuration, but it is promising and he should be applauded, not scorned. Lots of work went into that puppy. :dog:

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Kenpat said:

It's size.

Just sayin'.
I agree, people want convenience and 'good value' - (cheap). The thing is, this guy has already made compromises to make this thing appeal to his target market: 18-35 year olds.

One compromise was to make it this size and not bigger. Those little drivers with the porting will produce loud, punchy bass but will never dip down into the 30s to produce that rumbling bass and throbbing bass guitar. There really is no way around it, if you want big, deep bass, you need big speakers. If he had run with a pair of 8s, the box would have been much bigger but it would have looked much beefier and sounded much stronger. Imagine how awesome that all metal, black front would have looked with some subtle chrome and a pair of 8s or 10s staring straight back at you! :-)

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I agree, people want convenience and 'good value' - (cheap). The thing is, this guy has already made compromises to make this thing appeal to his target market: 18-35 year olds.

One compromise was to make it this size and not bigger. Those little drivers with the porting will produce loud, punchy bass but will never dip down into the 30s to produce that rumbling bass and throbbing bass guitar. There really is no way around it, if you want big, deep bass, you need big speakers. If he had run with a pair of 8s, the box would have been much bigger but it would have looked much beefier and sounded much stronger. Imagine how awesome that all metal, black front would have looked with some subtle chrome and a pair of 8s or 10s staring straight back at you! :-)
:agree: What he said.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
After thinking about it, I think the green color is pretty cool. And it's got a lot of power, and it's sealed except for the ports, so I bet it sounds pretty good. Consider there are several iPod docks that sound pretty decent with even SMALLER speakers.

Also, check this out --- It's got a nice bright LED meter :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltquCtRTqcU

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
now why does it look so much better powered up?. sounds pretty good too. **** it i seen worse , i still hate the handle it just don't fit with the design, but it's starting to look better to me now lol.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
After thinking about it, I think the green color is pretty cool. And it's got a lot of power, and it's sealed except for the ports, so I bet it sounds pretty good. Consider there are several iPod docks that sound pretty decent with even SMALLER speakers.

Also, check this out --- It's got a nice bright LED meter :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltquCtRTqcU
I agree,. the further away you get, the better it looks! :-D

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
gsbadbmr said:
After thinking this over i would still rather have the TDK 3 Speaker box over this :-D
Eh I wouldn't trust those.......they had so many warranty claims.....Why do you think they changed all their designs, lol

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I'm not going to shait on this guys efforts.

But I just don't see $1000 worth of MDF and Parts Express parts or real engineering here. I bet it sounds great because modern parts are WAY better than 80's parts and a sealed measured cabinet will do wonders. But the design is just plane. I know the real cost is in all that "trinket crap", but I'm not a collector of "Anything" with speakers and a handle.

If I had $1,000, I would spend $800 on a chainsaw, $200 on 4 wore out radio's hand it all over to JVCFloyd :yes:

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
I'm not going to shait on this guys efforts.

But I just don't see $1000 worth of MDF and Parts Express parts or real engineering here. I bet it sounds great because modern parts are WAY better than 80's parts and a sealed measured cabinet will do wonders. But the design is just plane. I know the real cost is in all that "trinket crap", but I'm not a collector of "Anything" with speakers and a handle.

If I had $1,000, I would spend $800 on a chainsaw, $200 on 4 wore out radio's hand it all over to JVCFloyd :yes:
I think the whole outer case is metal. The front panel looks like a thick sheet of alloy that's been through a CNC machine or laser cutter. They've provided no details however of what's inside - which makes me believe there is nothing special within.

I love my old school boxes but it would be nice to have something 'like' this but not exactly this. I'm a real fan of big speakers and those 4 inch? drivers just look wimpy - they look too small even in that smallish box.

I know my DIY V2.0 would stomp on it for bass. They would never build a C100 sized unit like my V2.0 though as it would be too big, heavy and bassy for today's generation! :-)

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Some of the other videos show bass excursion of subs and sound interference in RCA cables (didnt watch em) so, these boxes might have some good engineering in them sound wise, but they need a better styling department that's for sure..
The highs are funkin screaming in this vid! Bass is thumpin too.. :breakdance:
[Youtube]http://youtu.be/5719GN6QGEg[/youtube]

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I think the whole outer case is metal. The front panel looks like a thick sheet of alloy that's been through a CNC machine or laser cutter. They've provided no details however of what's inside - which makes me believe there is nothing special within.
I love my old school boxes but it would be nice to have something 'like' this but not exactly this. I'm a real fan of big speakers and those 4 inch? drivers just look wimpy - they look too small even in that smallish box.
I know my DIY V2.0 would stomp on it for bass. They would never build a C100 sized unit like my V2.0 though as it would be too big, heavy and bassy for today's generation!
image.jpg
are actually 6061 aircraft grade aluminum panels that are CNC machined, brushed, anodized, and finally laser etched. These panels also serve as the heatsink for the 140 Watt RMS class A/B audiophile amplifier that was specifically designed for it. Not a piece of plastic on it.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
JustCruisin said:
are actually 6061 aircraft grade aluminum panels that are CNC machined, brushed, anodized, and finally laser etched. These panels also serve as the heatsink for the 140 Watt RMS class A/B audiophile amplifier that was specifically designed for it. Not a piece of plastic on it.
Wow they've gone to a huge amount of trouble to make that front panel! It's been designed by two experienced engineers so the unique design and build quality is going to be first class - I'd love to know the specs and type of special amp it employs - The A/B amp of that output would generate considerable heat and would certainly be power hungry.

I would have thought a D class amp with 90% efficiency and no heat issues would have been the way to go in a portable - but what do I know :-)

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
They have an instagram with lots of pictures

http://instagram.com/diamondboxxco/

Looks like quality materials, but the only thing that turns me off is how they use ABS pipe for the pass ports.....Is it just glued on, or what? What if it breaks off and falls inside?

pipe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.