Custom Machined Aluminum Knobs for JVC M90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
If I had 10 (or fewer) boomboxes, I would ask Trommelmops to RE-KNOB every one of them. However, with the number that I have, where do I start? Better to just leave them be since after installing new knobs, I can't imagine ever selling the boomboxes since they would then have such high sentimental value that they can't ever be sold.... I would have to be buried with them I think!

Trommelmops said:
Do you mean me or the knobs :lol: :smooch:
With the attractive yellow fur skin and huge glasses, what's not to like?

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Oh i must laughin :lol:

Here is the next level of the knob: I have made today a further tunerknob to see whats possible.

I build a new tool to hold it, then i milled in the jacket surface some cool looking grooves with 2mm cutter.......

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
MyOhMy said:
I'm still in awe at this fantastic work, would you ever consider making a short video of the different stages required to produce a knob :blush: item?
nice idea // request

are you milling with the old school bridgeport type manual machine
or is it all computer driven ?

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
redbenjoe said:
I'm still in awe at this fantastic work, would you ever consider making a short video of the different stages required to produce a knob :blush: item?
nice idea // request

are you milling with the old school bridgeport type manual machine
or is it all computer driven ?
I'm still on the mill :lol: but the Trommelmops use the old school or better real handwork machines. CNC is to coslty.....make first a drawing...then compile it to a g-code.....and then you can mill or turn.....the time you need to make the data you need is to much. Im able to mill and turn very good by hand and need less time than
with cnc based........ :yes:

My experience told me this. Only when you mill with cnc very complicated designs and shapes. Then you should use the modern method i think.

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
So dear members and followers :-) , today the Trommelmops has tested some inserts,

I can say that it is sucessfull tested for the d-shape knobs. :yes: It is tested on a 6.00mm d-shape shaft. And i can say it works fine.

When i put the insert to the shaft, you can turn the shaft, without that the insert slips. It depend on the steelring i made.

In the inserts are no bumps. Its in original only for the line up or for the right positioning. Its absolut not needed. Maybee i chande the design.

In original they have sometimes only one cut. So i test this also. I will figure it out what the best is.

I have made the cut with a 0.3mm thin bladecutter. But before i must made a special holder for the bladecutter....Like always :-)

The material for the inserts i took is the right choice.

So from now on i know how it goes :yes:

20170708_205644.JPG20170708_205815.JPG20170708_205931.JPG20170708_205949.JPG20170708_210046.JPG

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Dear members and followers.....

here some news from my workshop: first the pom inserts......

With a special made tool i made for my lathe i cut the steelrings with a 0.6mm thin VHM Bladecutter from the tube.

After that i cut the steelrings and pressed the inserts with my press in the shells......

20170709_160328.JPG20170709_170457.JPG20170709_183909.JPG20170709_195947.JPG

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
So many tiny details to think about. Your skill and patience is top notch.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Superduper said:
The more I see these (and his other knobs), the more I want a set. Or two. Or three.... Heck, how many M90's do I have anyhow or should I buy some just so I have an excuse to buy some knobs, and what other models does he make knobs for? :w00t: :lol: :bow: :hmmm:
That's exactly how I feel, but my pockets are not as endless as the knob selection we could have him whip up! Oh the struggles!

Status
Not open for further replies.