Coronavirus

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Well.... shoot... so, I was lucky enough that we get two weeks off, paid.

But just got a call yesterday, that beginning after next Friday, we are on unpaid furlough until further notice. Unpaid, cannot use sick pay or my vacation/float pay.

But I can apply for unemployment if I'd like to after next friday.

I work in the mech shop at an auto auction. They said they will do an online auction mid-April to test the market. If it goes well, then they'll slowly bring back some of us. If it goes bad, then probably wait a bit longer.

Hopefully it goes well, because I would assume I'd be one of the first departments back, as inspections and repairs need to be done for many of the cars. So we'll see.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Northerner said:
I’m feeling really lucky right now as I moved from a busy town to a remote bit of countryside last year. Couldn’t have timed it better! I can wander for miles and still be in isolation
Hey Simon, you must be PISSED! You were "Social Distancing" before it was TRENDY!

Reli said:
Problem is, most masks have been diverted to first responders.
My wife found a sewing pattern and made us masks.

Reli said:
On that note, here's a very relevant video from Chris (LasonicTRC-920)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGj8G8hCBmo
Thanks for sharing that.

Brutus442 said:
Well I'll never complain about my mother's meatloaf again! Chris, how you held the vomit back, I'll never know....kudos

Stay healthy guys and gals
I don't know how I did it. As mentioned in that video, there were many occasions where I was on the razors edge of vomiting at the table. Literally the only thing I could do was forcefully wash it down with beer only to find out that it's back in my mouth again, refusing to go down. All I could think is "Man, the Boombox community will never know what I am going through for them"

Today was the first time in 17 days my wife and I have left the house. She had a doctors appointment and since we were out, we topped off on groceries. There is something strange about it. Like having a savings account and not wanting to spend it. The first time we shopped with the plan to stay in, we had no idea how long we could last. It became apparent, we had allot of goods. So this time around we bought ingredients to go with the goods we already had along with things you just can't substitute like Draino, Veggi's, bread, Beer and Whiskey

I have taken a stance, almost a personal challenge to do what ever it takes. Overkill, to do my best to guarantee we don't get sick. But after returning from the store, I kind of realize, there isn't that much more that can be done.

I exited the car with gloves and mask to buy beer, touched the cart with one hand, beer with the other, no interaction with the clerk. I put the beer in the car with the beer hand, pushed the cart back with the cart hand, washed my gloves at the car with hand sanitizer and went into the grocery story. Pulled a cart, whipped down the handle with an antibacterial clothe (provided by the store) and shopped.

But even with these measures and the 97% of other people in the store doing the same, there were others in the store being total dickheads. I had a young guy, in flip flops, no gloves or mask, repeatedly crowding me in the isle, once pushing between me and my cart to reach something and then acting like I was the problem. I gave up on that isle, shopped somewhere else and then came back.

But the real issue I saw, when I first entered the store, was too young guys, both military (I was shopping on the US Navy Support Site commissary). These two were in the vegetable isle "Mock Coughing" and laughing it up. It took just a few seconds before a woman went to the front and returned with two military police and those two guys were removed from the store. Almost an hour later, when we exited the store, those two guys were still out front standing next to a military police car with a commanding officer reading them the riot act.

The reality is, no matter how hard I work to protect my wife and I from this, it's little TW@TS like those two that will end up farking over 100 other people.

LIKE THIS: https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/27/1931802/-Cell-phone-location-tracking-data-shows-how-Florida-spring-breakers-dispersed-around-the-country

I hope you all stay safe so we can keep cranking our blasters down the line! PEACE!

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Hear ya Chris, it's really tough to take and acknowledge that the majority of the population are imbeciles without a care for other people. We all knew this already but the situational circumstances exacerbate our initial thoughts. You never know, there may be some natural selection in all of this... eventually...

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
docs said:
Hear ya Chris, it's really tough to take and acknowledge that the majority of the population are imbeciles without a care for other people. We all knew this already but the situational circumstances exacerbate our initial thoughts. You never know, there may be some natural selection in all of this... eventually...
No truer words....

If any of you have ever listened to my music then you already know, I have never been a fan of humanity. They have repeatedly let me down and I have been working on "Social Ditching" them most of my adult life. And it's not hard to imagine us going from this to "The Walking Dead" where it's open season on "The Biters".

Anyway, stay safe everyone

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
docs said:
Natural selection? Unfortunately not. The elderly will be hurt the most. The young dipshiz partying at the clubs will get off mostly unscathed.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Because of large groups ignoring the stay at home policy and partying on the beach, as of today, Virginia is officially on mandatory stay at home by order of the Governor. The beach is being shut down and enforced by law enforcement because of folks not giving a sh*t! I guess being normal, I look at all of these selfish people and shake my head.

Part of the background behind this arrogant behavior is ignorance. I heard a co worker tell someone at work that he couldn't get the virus because he has allergies. WTF? :huh: A bunch of clueless disrespectful idiots. If the virus could only replicate in the dumb among us maybe the world could get back to normal in a month or so.

After these people take a few others out along their destructive path of spreading this, they'll be the first in line at the hospital gasping for breath and wanting to be saved.

I know I shouldn't say this but I'm going to. We're so caught up in the idea that everyone deserves the right to live that good people end up jeopardizing their health and lives saving these types of people. Too bad we can't keep track of those not doing what they're supposed to do. They can go to the back of the line for care so all of the innocent they infected get the best of care.

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
I seen some youtubes of empty stores
guess im lucky here, the grocery store here was completely full of stuff
seems less people coming in to get things
I could post pictures of fully stocked shelfes, but no point in that. :-)
just the alcohol, paper stuff and masks are short supply.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
TW5 said:
I seen some youtubes of empty stores
guess im lucky here, the grocery store here was completely full of stuff
seems less people coming in to get things
I could post pictures of fully stocked shelfes, but no point in that. :-)
just the alcohol, paper stuff and masks are short supply.
My dad was telling me he went to the store for a few things, and saw they had a bunch of toilet paper so decided to grab a pack. But as he got down the aisle he noticed there were 5 guys in the aisle, just standing and staring.

He asked if they were staring at the toilet paper and one of the guys said, "Yeah, I haven't seen any in a month, its amazing." And the other guys just nodded. Hahaha

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I really don't get the toilet paper thing. If you have a large household, I understand........But if you live alone, or just with your wife, how much do you really need? How many times a day you take a dump? For me it's only once.

Superduper

Member (SA)
It's not that you need that much, it's that when you want it, you need to have it. So the question then becomes do you want to be the guy left without a chair when the music stops? That's why they hoard, because the next time they actually need it, no stores have it and guys stand around in the aisles looking for TP they haven't seen in a month. In other words, the guys that did the right thing, didn't hoard and ended up left without a chair.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
But there was no reason to hoard in the first place. The shortages are purely because people started hoarding for no reason. People are stupid. I’ve done no hoarding as I refuse to be a selfish moron. I’ve not run out of toilet paper lol

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Northerner said:
But there was no reason to hoard in the first place. The shortages are purely because people started hoarding for no reason. People are stupid. I’ve done no hoarding as I refuse to be a selfish moron. I’ve not run out of toilet paper lol
you hoard like the rest of us, look at all the boxes you have lol...im glad i dont buy anymore myself as i find it a waste of money lol

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Rimmer36 said:
you hoard like the rest of us, look at all the boxes you have lol...im glad i dont buy anymore myself as i find it a waste of money lol
Oh yeh I hoard boxes for sure!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Northerner said:
I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the states we've got too many "preppers", due perhaps to having a military-fetish culture fueled by Hollywood and AM radio pundits

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
I think we have them too but just by pure number of population there are a lot less over here. Crazy times shows the most crazy in society, I know even my own parents are turning in their graves at the actions of most, we don't have to even go back to war time generation for this. It is pathetic and mirrors the selfishness out there.

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
I also see a run on vitamin C, vitamin D and Zinc which are good for anti-virus.

a country stats counter on
youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLV1B5Lzy48
see how its going
china was on top of the list for a long time then it started spreading

Superduper

Member (SA)
Northerner said:
Very true. But once the hoarding starts (and the media is as much to blame as anyone because they put the spotlight on it), then you have no choice but to get your fair share. When this first started, I went to a store and noticed every other persons cart had huge packs of TP and the shelves were almost empty. I didn't need it at the time but decided we better get some just in case. Lucky we did because since that day, no store around here has had any. My daughters have ran out and could not find any -- they had to come to our house to get ours. You might not be out yet, but if this goes on long enough, you will and then you might literally be in deep sh!t! :-O :w00t: :bang: :thumbsdown: :sadno: :hmmm: :-D