Coming soon from Bumpboxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr DER

Member (SA)
Jan 30, 2015
Refferside Cali
Three of the four models will be revealed at this year's Las Vegas international boombox meet.. yes the handle is very comfortable compared to the old one .

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Well I'm sure it's ported on the back. Doesn't that reduce the need for a lot of volume?
It's the opposite actually. Sealed cabinets need much less air volume than a ported system. 4 x 8 inch drivers need between 2.16 and 3.84 cubic feet of air in a ported system. That's free air plus the space taken up by all of the other internal components like speakers, batteries, amps etc.
I see, is there a formula available online that calculates those numbers? Does it take into account insulation?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I like that black bumpboxx.
I think the handle would look better painted black and cut off the handle ends flush with the risers ,then it'll look ****ing awesome.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Hmmmm.................

I don't know how they calculate '800 watts' but this new model should be much louder than the previous Freestyle model with twice as many drivers + 2 mid speakers. :rock:

But, I predict it will have less deep bass than the Freestyle model.

Check out the deep cabinet the guys over at Diamondboxx used on their big unit: Now that's how it's done. :-)
IMG_4116.PNG
IMG_4119.PNG

I like the frontal view of the new model. The all-black with the blue LED VUs would look spectacular at night. Very nicely styled IMHO but that handle looks like the ones fitted to the glass doors at my local bank. :-)
IMG_4117.PNG
How to calculate 800 watts...2 channels x 400 watts = 800 watts...my math could be wrong though.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
mellymelsr said:
Hmmmm.................
I don't know how they calculate '800 watts' but this new model should be much louder than the previous Freestyle model with twice as many drivers + 2 mid speakers. :rock:
Check out the deep cabinet the guys over at Diamondboxx used on their big unit: Now that's how it's done. :-)
IMG_4116.PNG
IMG_4119.PNG
I like the frontal view of the new model. The all-black with the blue LED VUs would look spectacular at night. Very nicely styled IMHO but that handle looks like the ones fitted to the glass doors at my local bank. :-)
IMG_4117.PNG
How to calculate 800 watts...2 channels x 400 watts = 800 watts...my math could be wrong though.
What 'watts' are we talking? Music power, PMPO, RMS?? Into how many ohms, % THD??

'800 watts' on its own doesn't mean anything. :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
Well I'm sure it's ported on the back. Doesn't that reduce the need for a lot of volume?
It's the opposite actually. Sealed cabinets need much less air volume than a ported system. 4 x 8 inch drivers need between 2.16 and 3.84 cubic feet of air in a ported system. That's free air plus the space taken up by all of the other internal components like speakers, batteries, amps etc.
I see, is there a formula available online that calculates those numbers? Does it take into account insulation?

There are many calculators online, here is one

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
This just might be the bumpboxx I've been waiting for...
Can't wait to see what they really look like and what the others look like. I'm not on fb so this is all I've seen.

Dr DER

Member (SA)
Jan 30, 2015
Refferside Cali
-GZ- said:
This just might be the bumpboxx I've been waiting for...
Can't wait to see what they really look like and what the others look like. I'm not on fb so this is all I've seen.
Don't worry I will keep you guys up-to-date on this forum. As soon as I am able to release more pictures I will post them here.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Hmmmm.................
IMG_4116.PNG
IMG_4119.PNG
IMG_4117.PNG
What 'watts' are we talking? Music power, PMPO, RMS?? Into how many ohms, % THD??

'800 watts' on its own doesn't mean anything. :-)
Well the original has 150 watts RMS and 360 total. I have 2 of them and can tell you they are extremely loud with stupid bass. Don't know the THD % but my ears can't detect much at very high volume. If they claim 800 total watts and enough bass for the unit to do a 360 on the ground I absolutely believe them. When I get mine I will he happy to confirm it. Their word "means" something to me because the original product delivered on it's promise of the biggest bass and loudest bluetooth in the world. I expect the same delivery on this product.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
'Plenty of power' in other words. :rock:

I just asked as watts ratings need other information attached to make any sense. I'm a numbers person and I'm always chasing and comparing specs. :lol:

I'm glad you're enjoying your Bumpboxxes.

Peace.

James..... :-)

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
Is new model have the same control panel?

I don't like cheap USB player - no songs info, no folder search buttons... :thumbsdown:
Will be good if all controls is on front side, and have more buttons for operate with USB player. :yes:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I'd like to pass a little information to you guys. Along with Dr DER, I have been speaking with Rob from Bumpboxx on a regular basis. I read these Bumpboxx threads and, like Dr DER, I pass this information along.

Much like goodman's comments about the mp3 player. He wants one with a screen on it and front mounted controls.

These are the comments I relay to Rob. I can't tell you whats in his mind, but I can tell you he has made efforts to research what it would take to actually build in these features.

In a recent conversation, we spoke about cassette decks and what it would take to add one to a Bumpboxx. In fact, the very first time we spoke last year, this was one of the first questions I asked him. He reiterated it again, that he is asked about having a cassette deck built in all the time.

But here is the reality of it...

High quality cassette decks, even in home systems haven't been built in 20 plus years. Rob told me he has searched China for a cassette deck manufacturer and to his dismay, can not find one. He has been told over and over that the actual machines that made cassette decks have all been scraped years ago. Even the last cassette tape duplicating company can't find replacement parts to keep their vintage machines running. They are scouring the globe looking for old machines to scavenge parts off of.

So the choices are slim.

As it was told to me....

As of right this minute, there are a few Chinese companies that have recently produced and released little boomboxes with up right cassette decks, but they are using old stock and when they are gone, they are gone for good. And according to the reviews posted on YouTube and on this site, they are HORRIBLE sounding.

There is one company that is still making flat decks (i.e. car stereo, C100, 931 top decks). I can only imagine the sound quality those must put out.

Sadly, as of 2017, there is not enough desire to warrant the manufacture of the machines that make quality decks. When I met Albert Chen of Lasonic years back he told me it cost him $50,000 to make the molds for the i931 and that wasn't for every part on the radio. The i931 looks so much like the 3rd gen 931 because they used many of the same molds to keep the costs down.

Now imagine what it would take to engineer and build all the components and the machines that make an M90 deck or for that matter an M70 deck. It's possible that down the line, some day, that cassette's become popular enough to make this happen. I mean, look at vinyl! New turn tables are being made again and not just junk ones, really nice turn tables are coming to market all the time. So, it's absolutely possible down the line, but as of right now. The choices are limited.

But who knows, maybe one of those flat decks could be reworked to improve sound quality

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I wasn't concerned about it having a cassette deck or not. That is probably the least of the majority's 'wants'.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah, if I were him I'd spend most of my money on build quality, sound quality, reliability, styling, and marketing........Before adding any new features.

Also, part of his brand equity ("image") is having the "biggest and loudest". And now that Diamondboxx seems to have temporarily won that award, he needs to focus on getting back on top. It might seem silly, but if he can achieve it, it's an easy attention-getter. The cheapest form of marketing he could do. Plus it helps Bumpboxx stay true to who they are. They're not some posh yuppie brand like Marshall or Bang & Olufsen.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
blu_fuz said:
I wasn't concerned about it having a cassette deck or not. That is probably the least of the majority's 'wants'.
I know you have had a list as long as your arm since you got yours. I haven't gotten my hands on the new V3 coming to see if the issues many people have had have actually been addressed, but I have spoken to Rob about radio reception and over all build quality and he has told me that they have moved to a new factory and quality issues that equal returns/complaints have dropped to almost nothing.

I did see the new shipping foam and the radio is now 100% encased in heavy industrialized rubber like padding. The UK meet radio showed up 100% in tact and working fine.

In reality, all the comments you and others have made here on the forum have most certainly made their way into the future systems. I know it's been frustrating for you, but the time you have taken to document it all is going to bring better stuff in the future.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Unless these newer boxes contain some kind of old school functionality like FM, cassette,aux in , they will always be nothing more than fancy iPod docks because without an external music player wtf do they really do?.
Don't get me wrong , I think its great that people are trying but aside from old skool motherfuker do you really think the new generation even knows what a fuming cassette is. I love cassette players but who can carry a bunch of tapes and a bumpboxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.