C-100F door coming to life

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
caution said:
Although I made a copy of the door, it's only useful if you already own a broken one and need a replacement of just that. So we'll see where it goes from here.
When I wrote that I started working on a custom version, I'm happy to say I'm all done.

I modified it so that it could use a window of my own design. The screws that attach it are stainless steel, which can be slotted or hex. They go into threaded brass pressfit inserts.

The trims are true to original, with the lettering fused into the aluminum with a laser, so it will never wear off. I had the windows made at a local plastics shop.

I had to extend the badges to make room for the screws, so because of that, I spaced the text apart on the clings so they weren't blocking the wider badges.

I had a bracket and door printed so I could assemble a prototype, and I'm happy to say everything worked out fine. I'm still working out the details (price, assembly, color, etc.) but should be ready to start getting made in a few weeks. Stay tuned!

Reactions: Mixamyte 1

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
This is unbelievable! Who would have thought ten years ago that the day would come when we could print our own boombox parts?

Fantastic work, Eric!

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Fatdog said:
This is unbelievable! Who would have thought ten years ago that the day would come when we could print our own boombox parts?

Fantastic work, Eric!
Very true Fatdog :thumbsup:

Now Eric has free reign of cheap C100's because of a missing door :yes: Pop that door on there and it instantly increases the value. The C100 simply does not play cassettes properly without the cradle and door. The cassette needs to perfectly align with the head or it sounds muffled and/or inconsistent...not to mention falls out when not being played.

This is a MAJOR plus for the community for sure. I'm so glad to be on this site right now :cool:

Timecop1987

Member (SA)
Jul 24, 2017
I wanted to say thanks for the great effort, professional craftmanship, genuine interest and will to make this happen.

i was able to grab a black tape-door like the one mentioned above (i think it even is this particular one), because i thought it will fit the look of the c-100 even better than a silver (or say original) one.

alas, i've not been wrong :drool:

close-up:

the 3d-printed door fitted like a glove and looks & works great! In the picture the aluminium-plate is slightly misplaced - already corrected that :cool:

worth every penny!!

Reactions: Mixamyte 1

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Timecop1987 said:
I wanted to say thanks for the great effort, professional craftmanship, genuine interest and will to make this happen.

i was able to grab a black tape-door like the one mentioned above (i think it even is this particular one), because i thought it will fit the look of the c-100 even better than a silver (or say original) one.

close-up:

the 3d-printed door fitted like a glove and looks & works great! In the picture the aluminium-plate is slightly misplaced - already corrected that :cool:

worth every penny!!
You're quite welcome! It looked great in your pics, I think it looks great with black also. I just realized that I never responded when I saw them before they disppeared. Really gives me a good feeling knowing the endeavor is making boxes 100% again. :yes:

Timecop1987

Member (SA)
Jul 24, 2017
caution said:

close-up:

worth every penny!!
You're quite welcome! It looked great in your pics, I think it looks great with black also. I just realized that I never responded when I saw them before they disppeared. Really gives me a good feeling knowing the endeavor is making boxes 100% again. :yes:
I edited my original post. tinypic was taken down - i added the same pictures again for everybody to see :cool:

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Those doors look so great Eric. They look better than the OEM.

I used to wonder why bids were always so low on C100's missing a door. My silver model came with a door but had an issue with the left hinge and wouldn't stay in place. After I repaired the cassette mechanism I thought, oh well, lets try a tape without it. It played but the cassette shifts around inside the player housing and causes the sound to be muffled and could cause your tape to get eaten if it shifts away from the take up spindle while playing. If you try and carry it, the tape falls out. It soon became clear why a door was/is needed. This was before this replacement door option. Fortunately I was able to repair my original with a little skill. Having this door would've been nice and would've been the way to go!

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
caution said:
Thanks bud! If anyone is in need of just the cradle, they're available here
I just happened to notice that the feet are the wide version. That's excellent!

I remember us having that discussion when you were performing measurements for this. My Silver C-100 had skinny feet (same width as frame) at the bottom and the my Gold had this style. My guess is the Silver C100 was an earlier design (which the feet kept breaking) so later models they started making the feet wider.

Most probably wouldn't know this detail but I do. The wider feet in your design option add strength. This cradle should last our lifetime.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Transistorized said:
Thanks bud! If anyone is in need of just the cradle, they're available here
I just happened to notice that the feet are the wide version. That's excellent!

I remember us having that discussion when you were performing measurements for this. My Silver C-100 had skinny feet (same width as frame) at the bottom and the my Gold had this style. My guess is the Silver C100 was an earlier design (which the feet kept breaking) so later models they started making the feet wider.

Most probably wouldn't know this detail but I do. The wider feet in your design option add strength. This cradle should last our lifetime.
Thank you so much for helping with that measurement, all brackets now have the wide feet!
Indeed, the material used to print these is extremely tough, tougher than ABS. Flexible too.

We're trying to keep the price low but the production cost is a limiter. Nevertheless it's still on par with what others are paying for cracked, faded doors missing pieces, like this one.