C-100F door coming to life

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Thanks Transistorized and MoM, it was a fair bit of work but once you get so much of it done and start to get burned out from all the numbers, you see the results up to that point and can't get yourself to stop short. I was determined to capture it as close as I could to original, and going out to the tenths of a millimeter sufficed on nearly all of it. I'll post my notes, I sort of laughed flipping through them earlier. I don't know how I made sense of them now that I look again.

hardmen said:
Speechless... ...just SPEECHLESS...

I WANNA CRY!!!
Moved you to tears, thank you brother I'd call that a success :lol:

Rimmer36 said:
Never thought id live to see the day, OUTSTANDING, now can you make me a conion lol
Don't think for a second that I haven't given this some serious thought! That would be maaaajor undertaking, but if it meant I could quit my day job, I'd have to reconsider my purpose in life.

There were a couple of boo-boos on the data the shop used to print it, but now we know what happened and should get a good one this time. Although I made a copy of the door, it's only useful if you already own a broken one and need a replacement of just that. So we'll see where it goes from here.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
holy farking shitee Eric, im to thick to understand all that Sir lol............seriously all i need is a power badge, since iv lost mine i can't even bare to look at my conion, could you make one, i have paypal now

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I know I have asked this before but why is it that so many C100s are missing the door? Was it popular to remove the door or did they just get broken?

I cant imagine anyone would intentionally remove it. The deck plays muffled without the door. The cassette will fall out when stop is pressed and if you want to reliably enjoy your music with any degree of accuracy you need the door with the cradle to keep the cassette centered to the head.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Transistorized said:
I know I have asked this before but why is it that so many C100s are missing the door? Was it popular to remove the door or did they just get broken?

I cant imagine anyone would intentionally remove it. The deck plays muffled without the door. The cassette will fall out when stop is pressed and if you want to reliably enjoy your music with any degree of accuracy you need the door with the cradle to keep the cassette centered to the head.
Does anyone know the answer to this. I am curious.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Simple. Belt fails. Heads stick in the 'up' position. Traps cassette tape in the boombox. Owner pries off the door to get the tape out.

dj2fresh

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2018
Transistorized said:

One thing that use to happen was when people were walking around the eject button could accidently get hit and the door would be open. If you were carrying your unit around say up the stairs in your house or something and you didn't realize the door was open it could get smashed off by hitting a wall, a dresser, etc. I remember seeing this happen to someone in the 80's.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
blu_fuz said:
Simple. Belt fails. Heads stick in the 'up' position. Traps cassette tape in the boombox. Owner pries off the door to get the tape out.
dj2fresh said:

One thing that use to happen was when people were walking around the eject button could accidently get hit and the door would be open. If you were carrying your unit around say up the stairs in your house or something and you didn't realize the door was open it could get smashed off by hitting a wall, a dresser, etc. I remember seeing this happen to someone in the 80's.
Both good scenarios. I would value my box over the tape. As you all know, I'd be opening it up and figuring out how to fix it :lol: Nothing has changed around here :-P

dj2fresh

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2018
caution said:
The door arrived today! Although it's rough, it's close enough to know it's probably fine. The soft eject gears mesh, the window snaps on and locks into position properly, and the eject latch locks fine, although it scrapes a little because the surface finish is so rough.

As I was checking the bracket on the door in CAD, I saw a somewhat large gap between the hinge pins and the door. The left and right door pieces it goes into were too far apart by 1mm. It came down to the slight draft angle on the sides of the door to help it pop out of the mold. It's not much but it's enough to change the width of the door by a half millimeter per side depending on if you measure from the edge of the side, or the center of the side, where there is a slight peak. So, as expected, there was a little bit of play in the bracket. Already fixed.

Amazing work!! What did you use to lubricate the gear mechanism? My gearing looks pretty dry and was thinking I should lube it to minimize wear and didn't want to use anything that would eat away at the plastic.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Transistorized said:

The deck door has an interlock where if the deck dies while in operation the door won't open.

I guess people figured the tape was still useful even if the deck isn't lol.

Reactions: hardmen

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
JVC Floyd said:

The deck door has an interlock where if the deck dies while in operation the door won't open.

I guess people figured the tape was still useful even if the deck isn't lol.
I agree Floyd.

What's funny about this today is now the cassette is worthless (or lost and forgotten) and the C100 door is worth 50 to 100 dollars.... :lol:

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
This would be really neat to watch. Anyone have a video on YouTube showing the door being made? This video could be played at the next Boomboxery meeting in Vegas on a Jumbo-tron screen :-D

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
That looks great! I honestly had no idea how well a home printer would work but this really looks like it might just work :rock:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
caution said:
That looks great! I honestly had no idea how well a home printer would work but this really looks like it might just work :rock:
Thanks man, yeah, it's almost there. There are allot of things that can be done at home with a cheap 3D printer. I am just starting to play with this thing. But there are literally hundreds of settings that can be manipulated to make prints successful. The door pictured above was my third attempt. But it still has allot of issues that make it unsaleable.

If a professional 3D print company handled this, I have no doubt it would work.

Simply amazing work you have done. My hat is off to you. Thank you for all your time and effort.

Transistorized said:
This would be really neat to watch. Anyone have a video on YouTube showing the door being made? This video could be played at the next Boomboxery meeting in Vegas on a Jumbo-tron screen :-D
It took 14.5 hours to print. Not sure anyone would be interested.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Oh wow! I have to say that this is the most complex thing I've seen printed so far.

I may have to start looking into 3D Printers although I am sure I can't afford one.