Status
Not open for further replies.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Nice idea Jimmy.

Just for info, i'm working on another custom wooden box.

In portuguese, Wood means "Madeira" or, as simply to say, PAU.

I give you, the PAUSONIC.

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-02 at 22.10.29.jpeg

Cheers.

Reactions: floyd

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
This new thread is really an ideas fest.
Being as I love looking at a box as much as listening to it, most of my time and effort would go into the exterior. My dream box would be one that from a distance could convince any of us that it was a long lost prototype the likes of an 880, RX7000, C-100F, M90, S90, M-X920, etc. that surfaced after being mothballed back in the early '80s because of bad planning, went over budget, and couldn't couldn't get the time to cost-reduce it. Get closer to it and you'll see the labeling is for more modern uses and the tape door opens to access modern controls and so on.

It looks clean, factory-manufactured, the design is busy but balanced, and has classic era styling -- any combination of chrome, brushed metal, plexiglass, black grilles, chrome dust caps, plastic case, lots of vents, ridges, angles, detailed labeling. The case would be plastic and would have to be 3D printed or injection molded I guess, I'm not very knowledgeable on what's available in the maker space there nowadays, but something might be possible. I've even seen some 3D models out there of people just playing around drawing replicas of classic boxes, so spending a bit more time getting it to be something buildable might be possible, who knows. Just dreaming big here :-P

I can design and manufacture all the trim and labeling, but would have to design a lot of smaller pieces and figure out a way to modify off-the-shelf components to work for what I'm trying to do, but with a little magic here and there, maybe someday.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
caution said:
Being as I love looking at a box as much as listening to it, most of my time and effort would go into the exterior. My dream box would be one that from a distance could convince any of us that it was a long lost prototype the likes of an 880, RX7000, C-100F, M90, S90, M-X920, etc. that surfaced after being mothballed back in the early '80s because of bad planning, went over budget, and couldn't couldn't get the time to cost-reduce it. Get closer to it and you'll see the labeling is for more modern uses and the tape door opens to access modern controls and so on.

It looks clean, factory-manufactured, the design is busy but balanced, and has classic era styling -- any combination of chrome, brushed metal, plexiglass, black grilles, chrome dust caps, plastic case, lots of vents, ridges, angles, detailed labeling. The case would be plastic and would have to be 3D printed or injection molded I guess, I'm not very knowledgeable on what's available in the maker space there nowadays, but something might be possible. I've even seen some 3D models out there of people just playing around drawing replicas of classic boxes, so spending a bit more time getting it to be something buildable might be possible, who knows. Just dreaming big here :-P

I can design and manufacture all the trim and labeling, but would have to design a lot of smaller pieces and figure out a way to modify off-the-shelf components to work for what I'm trying to do, but with a little magic here and there, maybe someday.
I think all project builders would like their creations to look just like a vintage box - that would be the ultimate!! Imagine an M90 MK II?!? :-)

I mentioned in a similar thread a while back about building an acoustically correct box that would sit inside an outer plastic case. You really do need to have a solid box to allow high quality sound but there is definately nothing stopping us from having a 'street worthy' outer case to give it that 'authentic look'.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Or just do what DJ Tech did. The front is plastic but the rest is wood.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I like. Makes the build simpler, and they'll be stackable.
A lot would have to be decided on features and layout, and I'll have to teach myself a 3D design tool, but doable.

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
I know this is an old thread, and I'm sorry for bringing it back up. You guys are awesome thinking this stuff up! Did this ever come to fruition?

An old guy like me can only dream of this.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
caution said:
I like. Makes the build simpler, and they'll be stackable.
A lot would have to be decided on features and layout, and I'll have to teach myself a 3D design tool, but doable.
The other idea is to simply recycle trim pieces from vintage boxes, like Hardmen does. Grills and knobs especially.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Just sharing some videos of my DIY Boxes.

Pausonic.
https://youtu.be/thNl1q_7U3c

Custom RC1100.
https://youtu.be/1XMhr315Xa4

Red and Denim.
https://youtu.be/jz8YlfDjn6Y

Cheers.

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
Those are amazing. I like the EQ and LEDs on the first video. Awesome.

Kind of hard to see the 2nd one, but the chrome rings around the speakers remind me of my Sanyo M9990 I had back in the day.

On Red and Denim, is that a horn loaded box? Can't really tell, but it probably hits pretty good if it is.

Have any of you run these against the new modern boomboxes for comparison [diamondboxx, aiwa]?

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Reli said:
Love the LED meter on the first one. Is it straight from a Lasonic?
Yes, from modern ones.

That pic below show a Gig that I working on.
12" woofers (fail on tests, couldn't handle bass, because they are for midrange frequencies),
3" tweeters and TDA7492 Amp.
That gig are mounted on a open baffle scheme, just for tests...

I will make a video.

20170420_193608.jpg

Cheers.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Barb Bush said:

Kind of hard to see the 2nd one, but the chrome rings around the speakers remind me of my Sanyo M9990 I had back in the day.

On Red and Denim, is that a horn loaded box? Can't really tell, but it probably hits pretty good if it is.

Have any of you run these against the new modern boomboxes for comparison [diamondboxx, aiwa]?
The second one could see finished in that pic below (right n the custom one with four woofers, that I made as well).
FB_IMG_1490042543829.jpg

The Red and Denim have vintage tweeters and could cover mid frequencies, used in PA speakers, made by a Brazilian brand name Selenium.

I have the Aiwa Exos 9 and on my tests, they go more louder, but Aiwa sounds better (no distortion) in max volume (awesome project) and with more thumping bass.

The ONLY one of mine DIY that follow Aiwa on almost same no distortion, it's the Pausonic.

Cheers.

Reactions: floyd

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
hardmen said:

The second one could see finished in that pic below (right n the custom one with four woofers, that I made as well).
FB_IMG_1490042543829.jpg

The Red and Denim have vintage tweeters and could cover mid frequencies, used in PA speakers, made by a Brazilian brand name Selenium.

I have the Aiwa Exos 9 and on my tests, they go more louder, but Aiwa sounds better (no distortion) in max volume (awesome project) and with more thumping bass.

The ONLY one of mine DIY that follow Aiwa on almost same no distortion, it's the Pausonic.

Cheers.
Brilliant! You guys are definitely creative when it comes to these beauties.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
hardmen said:
Yes, from modern ones.
12" woofers (fail on tests, couldn't handle bass, because they are for midrange frequencies),
I will make a video.
20170420_193608.jpg
Cheers.
Running those 12 inch drivers in 'free air' will cause the cones to move excessively. If you tested them in a sealed or ported cabinet of a suitable size, they should sound really strong.

I've tried a couple of the TDA7492 based amps - they both worked but I wasn't happy with the sound quality compared with the Lepai LP-2020+ T class amp.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Yes, from modern ones.
I will make a video.
20170420_193608.jpg
Cheers.
Running those 12 inch drivers in 'free air' will cause the cones to move excessively. If you tested them in a sealed or ported cabinet of a suitable size, they should sound really strong.
I've tried a couple of the TDA7492 based amps - they both worked but I wasn't happy with the sound quality compared with the Lepai LP-2020+ T class amp.

The Pausonic uses a TA-2020 amp and you're right about superior soune quallity they delivers.
But TA-2020 based amps wasn't easy to find here on Brazil unfortunately... ...and when they are avaliable, are expensives.

Cheers.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Its a pity this project hasn't progressed beyond the planning stages. The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking there is no way around it - to make this thing worthwhile, we have to recreate the 'look' of a vintage Boombox (at least for the front panel).

Like the DJTech box, we need an injection moulded ABS plastic front panel that is ridgedly attached to the main cabinet. The speakers, LED lights, switches etc need to attach to this front panel to make it look right.

A top mounted flip up/down vintage Boombox style handle with chrome metal ends and twin antennas are also essential
IMHO. We need the front of this unit to be styled exactly like a large 1 piece Boombox from 1980. It has to look legit or it won't work.

We could scan an existing front box panel from an M90, C100 etc to speed up the CAD drawing process.

Anyone know of a place that will do low volume (less than 100) work?

The rest of the box can just be a rectangle like the DJTech.

This will be a no profit project - every cent we pay for this box is for parts and materials only - no huge mark ups - 100% bang for buck.

Imagine a Conion C100F with 10 inch drivers!!! :rock:

Guys, no one else is going to build a legit looking vintage box. Would you guys like a vintage looking box that really performs?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Whatever is eventually built I just hope its not a carbon copy of some other box, now combining the best features of some of the best looking boxes into a single design is the way to go.
Whatever happens I think it should be designed from the outside in ,meaning make it attractive then make it function, its harder that way I know but wtf can you do.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
JVC Floyd said:
Whatever is eventually built I just hope its not a carbon copy of some other box, now combining the best features of some of the best looking boxes into a single design is the way to go.
Whatever happens I think it should be designed from the outside in ,meaning make it attractive then make it function, its harder that way I know but wtf can you do.
You're right Floyd. If we were to scan an existing box front panel, any changes could be made to make it look unique - like a 'future' model developed back in the day that was never released due to the decline era kicking in leaving it high and dry. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.