Boombox Repair/Restoration Kit

Ambience

Member (SA)
Apr 11, 2015
Colorado Springs, CO
Nice one guys! For me a must that's missing here is an electric screw gun with long driver bits, I use a Dewalt with LEDs surrounding the head of the gun, and a 6 or 9 inch Phillips driver. Makes quick work when disassembing and reassembling these bad boys.

To add on top of the McGuire wax, I'd say some 3000 or higher grit paper for cleaning up nasty old boxes and plastic view windows. Does wonders.

Last, but not least, I use tooth picks to clean tight crevices. Especially helpful after using wax that ends up drying in strange places.DSC_1097.JPG

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I've recently acquired a turntable to make life a little more comfortable and find it very useful indeed. Turntables are usually lightweight, turn with absolute ease, are available in many styles and types, manual or motor driven. Mine is manual, 16" across, made with plastic and was sold as a 'mobility aid' because it can take the weight of quite a hefty adult.

I've used a little bubble-wrap packing inside an old pillowcase for padding. As it can take quite a weight it's quite possible to increase the surface area with a board to accept the separated BB front & rear casings that still have the ol' umbilical cord attached!

DSCF0739.JPG

DSCF0743.JPG

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Excuse my ignorance. This is one tape then that you can use to check allignment and speed? If so it sounds useful to me

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Ah I see, I will have to get one of these, Are they commercially available, im guessing not.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
We missed a few more...

• Signal injector to trace signal path
  • Safety glasses for Eye protection
  • Nylon thread to pull out knobs. Slip it under the knob and pull. That is a must to remove the tuning and volume knobs of Sharp VZ2000 and many other knobs. Wrap the other ends of the thread on a stick and pull gently.
  • light grease of white Li grease for lubricating mechanical parts
  • Light oil like 3 in 1 machine oil or Singer machine oil for the capstan bearings.
  • Q tips
  • Foam pads
  • Precision screw driver set
  • Painters tape at critical places to avoid scratches. (It is easy to scratch the top panel edges of Sharp GF9696 if one don't put an inch wide painters tape before assembly. The front cover top can easily get misaligned and scratch up the top panel)
  • Easy access to washroom from the work area. Beer, whiskey, bourbon, plus the work pressure will need frequent visits... :lol:
  • :-D :-D :lol: want to keep this thread alive....

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
"Nylon thread to pull out knobs" - YES - YES - YES!!! Oh, thank you, Royce! :thumbsup:

Now I know where I've been going so wrong when pulling & tugging at the expense of several broken fingernails! :blush: :lol:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
MyOhMy said:
"Nylon thread to pull out knobs" - YES - YES - YES!!! Oh, thank you, Royce! :thumbsup:

Now I know where I've been going so wrong when pulling & tugging at the expense of several broken fingernails! :blush: :lol:
:-D :-D Save those pretty nails sister!

Another tool I really like is the Craftsman bottle opener.

The rubber on it easily grabs on the knobs and we can pull it if there is enough surface area on the knob to grab on with it.

I mostly use this rubber and wrap on the knob to pull them out. Works with less effort.

Attachments

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
BoomboxLover48 said:
:-D :-D Save those pretty nails sister!

Another tool I really like is the Craftsman bottle opener.

The rubber on it easily grabs on the knobs and we can pull it if there is enough surface area on the knob to grab on with it.

I mostly use this rubber and wrap on the knob to pull them out. Works with less effort.
Yep, I have one of those handy tools and....................a pair of rubber(ised) washing up gloves - excellent traction. :yes:

sunshine_ax

Member (SA)
Fatdog said:
Well, here's my list of usual items. Maybe I'll round everything up and take a pic:

* Various assortment of flat-head and Phillips screwdrivers including miniature sizes
* Soldering gun
* Needle-nose pliers
* Tweezers
* Small telescoping magnet
* Q-tips / cotton swabs
* Isopropyl alcohol
* Meguiars Plast-X polish
* Endust wipes for electronics
* Orange Glo
* DeOxit
* TDK electronic demagnetizing cassette
* R/C fuel tubing
* Assortment of dental-type picks
* Multimeter
* Test tape
* X-acto knife (or similar)
* 2-inch paint brush

For basic cleaning, just go with a mild detergent and water. For tough stains, grime, grease, and dirt, Orange Glo works wonders!! Just don't use too much of it. ;-)
Where do you get one of those tapes that play the tones so you can dial in your cassette motor? I see people using these tapes with a tuner app on their phones and just don't know where to look for a tape. Thanks in advance!

ELzekio said:
Lets not forget a good ESR meter to test capasitors in circuit. Just because the capasitor may have the rated capasitance, it still may have issues.

I suggest buying one from the inventor of it and not just a cheep china one on ebay.

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/greenpal/evb1.htm
ELzekio,

I think that I've got a problem with capacitors. My Boombox (GE 3-5286A) will play beautifully for 3 minutes and then start fizzling out to no sound. I'm thinking this is a capacitor problem. I'd love a way to check them to see if they work before pulling them all out and replacing them. Do you know of a good resource where someone could learn to use this device? I'd be forever grateful :)

Radio Corky

Jun 22, 2021
Careful with Goo Gone. I just removed sticker residue and also removed a portion of my volume control lettering in the process. Oh Well live and learn.
Must be more careful when working with solvents i guess.