Bad Ass Clairtone 7980 AKA CF100 Mod-Resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Sick Build....

Interested to see where this all goes. Modern everything, i.e. speakers, amps, preamps, are leaps and bounds over the classic equipment. The key is in the balance of it all and the only way to find out is to mad scientist the project until it works. :frankenstein:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

kennerithmcguire

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2015
Ajax, Ontario
I have finalized the tuner installation ( LEDs ), here is the current position. I'm not happy with the way the LEDs can been seen at the top of the tuner glass.

Perhaps I'm over thinking it..... What do you guys think?

Attachments

kennerithmcguire

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2015
Ajax, Ontario
So now we are current with the project. I received my amplifier and power supply and will be doing tests with this weekend. I'm confident the amp will fit in the case easily. My concern is the power supply. The unit i purchased is for testing purposes and is the a great external solution.

Attachments

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
If you somehow figure out how to intercept the FM receiver to send it through the new amp, please let us know.

That's a serious set up, are you still planning on using battery power?

kennerithmcguire

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2015
Ajax, Ontario
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
If you somehow figure out how to intercept the FM receiver to send it through the new amp, please let us know.

That's a serious set up, are you still planning on using battery power?
2 Great questions. with the current setup ( excluding the amp ) yes it will be able to be powered by batteries. Due to the voltage needed for the other amp I will need to do more tests to see how the amplifier preforms at 15v, which is within its operating range. Obviously it will not be able to supply its full wattage on 15v.

My goal would be to use the existing tuner. But that being said I'm looking at digital tuners that i can fit inside as an option. I would get acrylic cut to black out extra space. Not best case scenario on this unit - I want to keep it the way it looks.

I'm watching your magnavox project closely, I also have one these boxes and would love to update it but i can't decide on a direction.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
2 Great questions. with the current setup ( excluding the amp ) yes it will be able to be powered by batteries. Due to the voltage needed for the other amp I will need to do more tests to see how the amplifier preforms at 15v, which is within its operating range. Obviously it will not be able to supply its full wattage on 15v.

My goal would be to use the existing tuner. But that being said I'm looking at digital tuners that i can fit inside as an option. I would get acrylic cut to black out extra space. Not best case scenario on this unit - I want to keep it the way it looks.

I'm watching your magnavox project closely, I also have one these boxes and would love to update it but i can't decide on a direction.

Cool man, well, if your able to find the radio signal on the board, reroute it to the new amp and use the stock switch to go from Bluetooth to FM to cassette (or what ever you plan to use) that would be awesome. For me, that's kind of the Holy grail that I have been trying to do. Reroute around the stock amp.

Thanks for having a look at the Magnivox thread. I have a very long road in front of me

kennerithmcguire

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2015
Ajax, Ontario
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Cool man, well, if your able to find the radio signal on the board, reroute it to the new amp and use the stock switch to go from Bluetooth to FM to cassette (or what ever you plan to use) that would be awesome. For me, that's kind of the Holy grail that I have been trying to do. Reroute around the stock amp.

Thanks for having a look at the Magnivox thread. I have a very long road in front of me
I will keep everyone in the loop. I found a cheat today, I can use a car audio filter to take the output of the regular and convert it to line level. I'm not going that route though. It would be a waste on batteries and just an easy fix not a good one. If any one has a schematic or experience with the preamp - amplifier section of these units please pm me.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.