Anyone still have the TDK firmware download?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I'm talking about the original 2-Speaker boombox. The firmware update is posted on their website but it can't get it to download, a window opens with a huge text string. I contacted TDK but they don't answer.

vermouth

Member (SA)
Aug 15, 2018
Brazil & USA
Try right-clicking on the firmware link and choose "save as" and then maybe it will save for you instead of opening the file.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Reli said:
Doesn't say which version or date it is. I need the latest. The first update caused the box to brick.
The firmware updates in the library are the same ones available at http://tdkperformance.host4kb.com. Unfortunately, no version numbers are listed. Files were compared using hash values.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Nah the idiot backed out and sold it to someone else. I wasn't going to buy it until I was sure I could get a copy of the update. I've been asking him for 3 weeks to check the update version, I told him how to do it, but he kept claiming to be out of town.

Those boxes are ticking time bombs anyway, so maybe it's for the best. I just wanted to compare it to the DJ Tech.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Youre better off without it Reli, as you say there a ticking time bomb but by all accounts the two speaker aint all that, the 3 speaker TDK would be the one to get

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Finally got one of these fairly cheaply, and I am impressed! Great build quality, great sound. Still has the protective film on front. The firmware version is 2.3.7......Does anyone know if that's the last version, or do you have a newer one? You can check by holding down the OK button while turning the power on. Mine is working fine, so I'm not going to install the update on TDK's website unless I can verify that it's newer than 2.3.7

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
im not sure where mine is, it's only been used twice since new, the other was sold and died 6 months later....btw don't leave batteries in there, they will go flat

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Rimmer36 said:
im not sure where mine is, it's only been used twice since new, the other was sold and died 6 months later....btw don't leave batteries in there, they will go flat
Ha ha, yeah I know these units don't have a good track record. But this one was basically brand new in the box, so hopefully I'll be able to get some good use out of it.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
Ha ha, yeah I know these units don't have a good track record. But this one was basically brand new in the box, so hopefully I'll be able to get some good use out of it.
Id be interested in updates on this unit over time. I know you use your radio's, so I'm certain it will get some hours on it. I want to know if it will suddenly stop or if that is just a fluke with other units.

The thing about modern equipment and not just this, but allot of products today is that when the manufacturer stops providing software updates or even goes belly up, your left with a brick. Even worse is if a product is tied to an app. When the developer stops updating the app that runs the product, BRICK! I have paid for apps that no longer work, simply because the college student that created it grew up and moved on. It's very annoying.

There is also "Forceful Obsolescence". DJI (drone manufacturer) and GoPro (camera maker) are no longer providing updates for their earlier equipment and in DJI's case, removing connectivity from their app's effectively bricking the devise and forcing you to buy the latest product even if the hardware is fine.

I'm sure the amp and speakers in these TDK's are great and will be for 20+ years, but the software that runs the switching is what is failing.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Id be interested in updates on this unit over time. I know you use your radio's, so I'm certain it will get some hours on it. I want to know if it will suddenly stop or if that is just a fluke with other units.

The thing about modern equipment and not just this, but allot of products today is that when the manufacturer stops providing software updates or even goes belly up, your left with a brick. Even worse is if a product is tied to an app. When the developer stops updating the app that runs the product, BRICK! I have paid for apps that no longer work, simply because the college student that created it grew up and moved on. It's very annoying.

There is also "Forceful Obsolescence". DJI (drone manufacturer) and GoPro (camera maker) are no longer providing updates for their earlier equipment and in DJI's case, removing connectivity from their app's effectively bricking the devise and forcing you to buy the latest product even if the hardware is fine.

I'm sure the amp and speakers in these TDK's are great and will be for 20+ years, but the software that runs the switching is what is failing.

I agree Chris. Being in technology, I see this all the time. Updates are just as important as parts availability. A lot of times even if you own the hardware, you don't own or have rights to the software the device is running. This truly changes the game for sure.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:

Yeah reminds me of Apple lol

Rimmer36 said:

Man you weren't kidding, I put 10 freshly charged Tenergy's in there, never turned it on, and only a day later they had discharged to below 1.0V. WTF?

Last edited:

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
Hi, sorry about the necropost.

I have a 2 speaker TDK boombox.

IN UK

tried the firmware above - black screen, the tdk no longer boots.

I tried this one- despite the warning it seems to be for the 3 speaker version -
1711765513497.png

it at least boots.

BUT!! the front panel LEDS and touch seem messed up, and stuck on the radio.

I used the menu to set default and europe region, makes no difference. Ive reflashed the firmware 4 or 5 times... no change.

does anyone please PLEASE have the previous firmware 2.29? that works in europe or the older shipping version? the tdk site is dead.

thanks!

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
2.2.9 was the production firmware, not an upgrade, and was never offered as a downloadable file. Look for yourself: the Internet Archive hosts a few snapshots (link). In late March 2011 (link) no downloads are available. Jump five months forward and the 2.3.7 firmware and PDF instructions are now downloadable (link).

Last edited:

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
thank you for that, I've learnt something about how to use archive/ wayback as well. Thanks again.

so it seems 2.3.7 doesnt work on the uk machine, the front panel is messed up and unresponsive. even after defaulting it several times, setting the region, following all guides possible, its stuck in this state (stuck on fm radio, various lights on, panel unresponsive).

I did see 'elsewhere on the internet' mention of other firmwares, but cant find them.

Also its a AVR/arduino type device, so as Im otherwise stuck, I'll use your link and will try firmwares from the cube and 3 speaker devices and other makes... never know, I might find another device firmware works.

thanks!

NB if anyone else does have any other files, do share! TIA