Anyone purchase the BUMPBOXX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to get one of these but after seeing all the problems and a few bad video reviews pointing out air leaks by the control panel, and it’s not even stereo, I decided to wait and see if they resolve all the problems first. It’s like when I don’t update my phone to the latest OS until I see if there’s any problems first, lol. That new giant one they offer doesn’t even look like a Boombox anymore, lol

erniejade

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
I found a couple of monster versions local for 350. I’m not sure if that’s a v3? On eBay there is a seller having the v3 for 369 new with shipping and the seller has good ratings . What is the battery life on them?

erniejade

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Can anyone tell me if the wireless mic can be operating at the same time your running a Bluetooth source?

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
erniejade said:
Can anyone tell me if the wireless mic can be operating at the same time your running a Bluetooth source?
I have the original Bumpboxx and we karaoke with the wireless mic all the time running Bluetooth. I would think all versions would continue this feature.

erniejade

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Thanks. Im gonna give a v3 a shoot. I only wish they were water resistant to make it easier for sand. Just rinse it off like the soundboks2.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
My V3 performance is WAY more reliable than the other 3 earlier versions I had. Battery life, speakers, and charging has been on point.

erniejade

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Awesome. I was debating between this and a soundboks2. This is cheaper but the soundboks2 is water proof. I might do both. Since this has a line out, i could use the mixer section of this and feed the soundboks2 from it. Best of both worlds.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
** Finally got to hear a Bumpboxx !!! **

The other thing I collect is vintage AC fans. I was at a fan sellers house and noticed a Bumpboxx in his lounge room. Turns out his visiting nephew who was on school holidays brought his box with him.

I had to hit him up for a demo. :-) He’d not yet heard it and was interested as he is also a HiFi enthusiast. Via BT, I hooked up my IPhone and played a few tracks. After a short, 10 minute indoor test, here are my impressions:

The good:

Loud!! **** this thing just screams!!
Relatively light weight when you consider the size.
Looks cool with the 10 inch drivers and flashing lights.
Heaps of input options.

The bad:

Sound quality is fair - strong, boomy bass but the mids were lacking. Overall clarity was limited with some frequencies either missing or subdued. The bumpboxx definitely ‘sounds’ mono. We are all aware that perceived stereo separation almost disappears when you sit a sufficient distance from a box. But even with that in mind, it sounded more ‘mono’ than a stereo Boombox would sound from that distance. :-)

This is only my opinion. I know there are many people with different tastes in sound that absolutely love the Bumboxx sound.

This is definitely an outdoor box. Outdoors, I’m sure the boomy mid bass and peaky highs would sound ok. The compromises they made to achieve maximum loudness on 12 volts (Mono amp) and the use of horn tweeters make sense for outdoor applications.

Unfortunately, this does mean that for indoor, high fidelity applications, there are better choices.

James... :-)

P.S I tried the FM tuner - I couldn’t get it to lock onto a station so nothing to report.

erniejade

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
What version did you try? From what i have been reading the v3 isn't as boomy as the previous 2 versions

erniejade

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Cool. From what i have been reading. V3 cleans it up. Ive been on the fence about one for outdoor. I found some on ebay for 369 shipped. The seller said they are blemished but factory sealed and full warranty. I contacted bumpboxx today and they told me they will NOT honor a warranty on them like the seller stated and gave me a 100 off code.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Just announced that the V3 is available in STEREO. I asked if there is a modification I can do to my mono V3 and they said yes but voids warranty unless I send it in for them to do.

I'm going to try it.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
blu_fuz said:
Just announced that the V3 is available in STEREO. I asked if there is a modification I can do to my mono V3 and they said yes but voids warranty unless I send it in for them to do.

I'm going to try it.
Really, Joe? You're going to mention a mod, and then give no details. As Ira would say... LOSER :lol: :lol: :-P

Post a mod thread when you get a chance though. I imagine some guys might like to try it.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Make sure it isn't just "simulated stereo". I remember hearing that term being used by them a few months ago, but I forget which Bumpboxx it was put in.

Also, Dr DER said the Monster Energy Edition DL Freeze is actually the best sounding Bumpboxx, even though it's smaller with only 8" woofers. Maybe it's because the smaller case doesn't flex as much. You can find them on Ebay, being sold by Monster Energy employees who don't want it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJztqugfKKQ

Status
Not open for further replies.