anyone know anything about a Sansui G-5500 receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Check this site out.
http://www.sansui.us/SP_4Digits.htm

Apparently, these models were some of the best Sansui built from 60-74'.

I'm not a big fan of so many drivers stuffed in a box though.
All that means is that there are more things that can fail, ie drivers crossovers and all the caps in them. :-/
Go check em out and see if they sound good. Thats the most important thing. I say $50 would be reasonable. more if in great shape. :yes:

If you get them, let me know if you wanna make room and let those Klipsch go. :-D
Paul Z

Superduper

Member (SA)
:agree: :agree: :agree:

Ditto. I also have the SP-5500x as well as the SP8000, SP3500 (new in box), SP-100, Z9-II.

All I can say is after you've A-B'd these classic Sansui speakers, you will be a firm believer. I've never fried any Sansui driver and the SPL's 100db is simply incomparable. 2 watts of power and the house is literally shaking. They can make any small amp sound like a big amp, but still have good power handling capacity. The reproduced sound have great clarity, detail, crisp highs, clear vocals and solid lows.... they are simply my kind of speakers.

I also have a pair of JBL-L300's that were given to me and I haven't tried them yet but I understand them to be great speakers. My favorits of all time however, is the Carver AL-III's although they need a mammoth size amp to make them sing. However, once they get the power -- sing they do!

Back to the Sansui's -- Alas, in the '80's they came out with the ubiquitous black veneered styled speakers and they simply were no longer the same. Clearly, the end of an era and the last of those great speakers. Perhaps cost and competition had something to do with that.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
i am still looking for a pair of good sansui speakers.
i am pretty happy with the large advents i have tho. they really sound fantastic.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
Hello, bought a stereo cabinet today from a guy on craigslist, pretty nice it's made by CWD and the guy bought it at Absolute Sound, real oak sides, slide in shelves, here is a quick pic, the speakers are not staying up on those tv trays I just wanted to see if they sounded better higher up, which they do. Going to make some speaker stands for them have an idea on how already.

tshorba

Member (SA)
May 10, 2009
South West Victoria
The thump when you tap the table is a isolation issue the vibration is moving to the platter or arm, not being absorbed through the plinth/feet.. Nice table..

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
ahardb0dy said:
thanks, so isolate turntable from cabinet somehow??
Yes, the more vibrations you have in your environment, the worse it is for playing records.

If you have shaky ground underfoot, even putting the turntable on another table might not solve this problem for you. If you don't plan on moving the rig anytime soon, you could mount a shelf to the wall just above the rack and thus create another storage shelf for you... Room for an equalizer, perhaps...

I've seen nightclubs curcumvent this completely by suspending a shelf from the ceiling, which may not be possible where you live... and probably not make your other half too happy, either. But, suspending speakers is a great way to improve sound in a home, too.

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Try moving the speakers a little farther away from the TT. that might be causing the interference.

Also, what do you think of the bass reproduction of your Klipsch?
I heard an easy way to get more lows from that particular speaker is to set them in the corners of the room with some toe in pointing towards wherever your listening from and angle them up wards a little.

I keep my speakers away from the wall at least a foot. It makes for better imaging. Just try different locations till you get it just right.! :-)

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
I've read that the klipsch heresy's were originally designed as satellite speakers to be used with a sub cause they do lack low bass, but I tried them right up against the wall and had to lower the bass control on the receiver cause they had too much bass, so I moved them away from the wall a little, I'm sure placed in a corner they would have even more bass output, they definitely sound better with the tweeters closer to ear level.

Status
Not open for further replies.