anyone know anything about a Sansui G-5500 receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Superduper said:
ahardb0dy said:
..............he said the thing sounds incredible, as good as the 300 watt 2 pc sansui receiver..........
Tony, I'm glad to hear this thing is fixed but if your tech told you that the G5500 sounds as good as a G-22000 or G-33000, then I think he ought to be committed. Like to the funny farm committed. :w00t: :lol:

As the resident Sansui homer here, SD is right. The G-5500 is an excellent reciever regardless. But the 22000/33000 dual component setups are way better (and exponentially more expensive) and rarer. :-)

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
10-4 on that. But they do have a different sound. Naturally of course because of the different level of components that go into them as well (which refers back to my price statement) to achieve specific goals.

Either way, you have a helluva reciever you wont see everyday or even every year on eBay let alone a thrifty. Keep it and enjoy it. You'll know why I feel like I do about Sansui in their heyday. :-D

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
the tech was talking about the front end being similar, of course he knows there is a tremendous power difference between this one and the 33000, he used to have 33000 in his shop for a while. He was also telling me that even at 60 watts in a normal size room it would fill the room easily but if you were looking to use it in say a club or a big hall than no the 60 watts wouldn't cut it and the 270 of the 33000 would be the better choice. Either way I don't care this thing sounds good, the volume at 35 (3.5??) is LOUD!!

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Tony no doubt it sounds good and 60 watts is more than enough for most listening. Your tech is right that the extra juice is usually not necessary but if you do push it a little the extra headroom of the larger amp will keep the sound from getting strained all the way up the insane levels. :yes:

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
ahardb0dy said:
...want to bring it in to the house and out of the Florida heat...
WHAT?!?!? YES!!!! Put it in the house! Give it your side of the bed!!! (Linda wouldn't mind would she?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I know your shed has AC but you definitely don't want it where humidity can get to it. Good thing to get it in the house and hook up that Denon turntable and listen to the magic. :thumbsup:

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
shed has AC but it's not on all the time only when I'm out there, turntable is a JVC, going to bring it all in tomorrow need to get a cheap cabinet to put it all in.

oh, I got Linda to let me bring the Aiwa's in the house they are on the dresser in our bedroom, she wasn't too happy with me running the AC just to keep the boomboxes cool,LOL

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Take some pics of your listening space when you got it all set up.
I'd love to hear those heresy's, I've heard nothing but good things about them!
This is how the vintage HiFi bug starts. Pretty soon you'll have a dedicated listening room inside the house, you be throwing around ideas for wall treatments and you'll be dabbling with DIY cables and speakers.
I'm hooked and I love it. :-D :lol: :-D
Enjoy the glorious stereophonic sound!
Paul Z.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
about ninety percent of the older middle range recievers sound better than the newer stuff today.
i mean its just a different world now. the whole amp on a chip thing really changed audio and well imho for the most pushed it backwards in someways.
dont get me wrong new stuff can be really nice but bang for the buck factor must be considered.
nothing in the price range of what you have into your sansui set up made today would even touch it.
in fact i will bet nothing new under a thousand dollars would most likely sound as good.
i am sure your speakers are also helping it sound fantastic as well.
i have stopped acumulating vintage stereo gear for now. i am out of room and well i just have pretty much the coolest stereos and boomboxes i never dreamed of being able to have back in the day.
really theres nothing new that even interests me much now. i am fine being a few generations behind in terms of technology.
i would much rather have things made in the last century now.
its a lot cheaper too.

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
You're about right bill. Today it's all about home theater receivers and little cube speakers. I don't think thinks there is a comparison on which system will provide better stereo sound. lets see a few 2" full range drivers and a 6-8" sub, or a pair of full range speakers with compression horns or silk domes taking care of the highs, 3-6" dedicated mid range drivers and wall flexing woofers that range in size from 10-15". No comparison.
Vintage sh!t was built to last, todays crap is, use it for 3-4 years, throw it away and replace it. There is no way to repair it due to the manufacturing techniques, not a single hand soldered connection. :-/

But to be honest I could live with a Pioneer Elite receiver. :lol:

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
My tech has a pair of Sausui SP-5000 speakers that he said he bought when he was in HS and he says they still crank and sound great, he had my receiver hooked up to them after he repaired it. In his little shop at the flea market ( which is powered thru an extension cord from a neighboring shop) he couldn't turn it up to show me as the lights on the receiver were dimming!! And the little Bose 201's didn't like being fed by the Sansui, lol.

As I said in an earlier post the Sansui was given to me broken, $125 later it is as good as new, the Klipsch speakers were given to me by a co worker who bought them over seas when he was in the military as well as a JVC top of the line ( at the time) DD-V9 (1982-1983) cassette deck which right now I do not have connected as I am using the Tascam 302 mark 2 dual cassette that I bought off of e-bay, while my original owner Aiwa AD-f990U cassette deck is being repaired. The turntable also from my coworker (which right now he gave me to check out and is waiting for me to make him an offer on it) is a JVC QL-Y55f may not be the best one they made but it sure is nice. The stylus broke on it and the replacement lowest price I have found for one is $129 I guess it's a moving coil type it's also a JVC cartridge, right now I took the Ortofon cartridge off of my Phillips turntable and have it on the JVC.

some pics below:
Sansui G-5500 receiver (not mine just a pic of it I found)

JVC QL-Y55f turntable

Klipsch Heresy speakers with JVC cassette deck on top also shown Onkyo stereo receiver now connected to Linda's computer for 100 watts x 2 of MP3 sound, LOL, and My phillips belt drive turntable I bought new that I am currently not using, and 2 matching JVC cd players I bought back in my want to be a DJ phase.

Aiwa Ad-f990u cassette deck that is being repaired (not mine a pic I found of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.