Anyone collect vintage Portable CRT TV's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Here is my 1976 Electrohome Model C24-301 Color TV.
Got it for $5 bucks at a garage sale. Work perfect.
It's made in Japan, I think by Panasonic for Canadian market.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I just had to go through this thread from the beginning again. I swear, if I had the room, I would love to have these TV's. What time capsules.

My grand parents had a 19" color TV portable that they used to set on a small little aluminum serving cart, that looked like it was going to fold under the weight. Every time they asked me to go fetch the TV from the other room, I would think "OK Chris, this is it, this where you F up the TV and they slap you in the back of the head!"

I was so terrified to move that damn thing. I would always just pick up the whole cart and TV together and carry it to the room which in turn would get me yelled at "Why aren't you using the cart, that's why it's there, what the hell is wrong with you?"

In the end, the cart never folded and the TV never crashed....but more importantly, it never crashed on my watch! :-D

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Picked this up this week.
1976 RCA model CA 097A 9 inch TV
These small sets came with a battery pack in the bottom that holds 2 large batteries. The front plexi cover comes off.
These came in yellow, red, and white cabinets.
Made in Taiwan.

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Trash picked this one summer 2013 in my area. Dunno why people would throw away such a nice TV ! :nono:
This is a 19" B&W Hitachi S-88 TV.
I think it is from 1972
It is Made in Japan.

Anyways, heres some pics.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
That looks minty!

I only have one old tv but it's rather nice :-)

It's a little portable that will run on batteries or the detachable power pack, even got the manual :-)
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Here's a 1980 Hitachi model CT-1302 13" color TV.
Made in Singapore.
Found it for free.
Seems like it needs some adjustments or tuner cleaning.
Not the greatest of quality.
The plastic white tool is for the V.Hold adjustment.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfE74KqgFsI&list=UU9uww3n08iilZlA6BPw9HFQ

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Damn that is clean. Another great find!

Does Canada still have over the air broadcast TV?

ahhhhhh...there is something satisfying about that channel clicking sound!

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Robb said:
Here's a 1980 Hitachi model CT-1302 13" color TV.

The plastic white tool is for the V.Hold adjustment.
So cool that it still has the tool. I'm sure most were lost.

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Found this 1986 Pulser (Canadian Tire brand) model 45-2019-0 14" Color TV this weekend.
Works nice, good shape, Made in Korea.
Is it a Daewoo CRT ? Or Samsung ?

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Set built by Daewoo as you said, but the CRT in there is a UK-supplied Mullard, made at their Simonstone factory and sold under the Philips and Mazda brands too thanks to the licencing arrangements Mullard worked with.
A1 is 250 Volts and fA is 12KV with 6.3 Volt, 330mA indirect heaters. Hard wee picture valves these, very rarely were they the reason for the sets being consigned to the bin.

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Beosystem10 said:
Set built by Daewoo as you said, but the CRT in there is a UK-supplied Mullard, made at their Simonstone factory and sold under the Philips and Mazda brands too thanks to the licencing arrangements Mullard worked with.
A1 is 250 Volts and fA is 12KV with 6.3 Volt, 330mA indirect heaters. Hard wee picture valves these, very rarely were they the reason for the sets being consigned to the bin.
How do you know this ? Where are you getting the information from ?

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Newnes, the volume covering 1981-1991.

They don't sell the original diagrams to members of the public but there is a web presence and some volumes come up on Amazon.co.uk occasionally, so they can be bought. My collection of Newnes came from a TV repair shop where I did evening repair work to fund my uni digs & beer. They closed down in 1994 and a random phone call to the proprietor (who still remembered me) secured every volume from the sixties to the one where the Daewoo (it had AKAs including NEC) shewn in your pics is listed.

From the Newnes wiki:
George Newnes Ltd continued publishing long after his death, with magazines such as Practical Mechanics and Practical Television. In 1963, the company became part of IPC Media, now a branch of Time Warner's publishing arm, Time Incorporated. Today books under the Newnes imprint continue to be published by Elsevier.[9][10]

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Here's a rarity, probably one of the last tube TV's made during this time period. I got this for free from local classifieds.
It has a nice picture even for an SPC TV set (silver plastic crap)

14" flat screen
Made in Thailand
Comes with remote
Rear component input and front RCA composite jacks

Video: http://youtu.be/wLuP4Om37AM

Status
Not open for further replies.