Status
Not open for further replies.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
frontside5 said:
Nice find!

So many nice upside downs. Exactly what was the design purpose behind putting the tuner on the bottom?
Because most people who do not take their boomboxes outside put them on a shelf and leave them there, so it makes sense to put the controls there.

Royce, who did you get this one from, if not from Ebay?

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Reli said:
Because most people who do not take their boomboxes outside put them on a shelf and leave them there, so it makes sense to put the controls there.
:hmmm: Hmm, that works for a high shelf, but supposing the shelf you want to use for the box is low down..... ;-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:

Royce, who did you get this one from, if not from Ebay?
HI Reli, I got it through a friend in Doha. Owner stored it in his cabinet for years when he started using big recievers and speakers.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Beosystem10 said:
:hmmm: Hmm, that works for a high shelf, but supposing the shelf you want to use for the box is low down..... ;-)
But why would you do that? You should always put it at ear-level.

The only excuse for putting a boombox on a low shelf is if you want to sit next to it. And if you sit next to it, then you have lowered YOURSELF as well, so low-mounted controls are perfect. :rock:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:
But why would you do that? You should always put it at ear-level.

The only excuse for putting a boombox on a low shelf is if you want to sit next to it. And if you sit next to it, then you have lowered YOURSELF as well, so low-mounted controls are perfect. :rock:
That is correct! :agree: :agree: Also you can rest your arms on the desk to tune and operate the boombox. Ergonomically perfect design!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
BoomboxLover48 said:
That is correct! :agree: :agree: Also you can rest your arms on the desk to tune and operate the boombox. Ergonomically perfect design!
TRU, TRU :yes: :agree:

budweiser-whassup.jpg

riker1068

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2014
FLORIDA Jacksonville
BoomboxLover48 said:
It's so hard to take eyes off from AJ500. It got dial lights that works with a press and hold switch. This can be modified to a blue LED type. I will work on it later. Truly a masterpiece in everyway. Soon will post more detailed pictures of the knobs and all.
Wow. That's mint!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
OK I've had two AJ500's so far, and it's a very nice sounding box, no question about that......But in no way is it as good as an RX5350. :lol:
It doesn't have half the bass. Hell it doesn't even have as much bass as an M9994 or a GF9696.
I would compare it to a TPR950 or something along those lines -- maybe a tad bit stronger, but not by much.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Reli said:
OK I've had two AJ500's so far, and it's a very nice sounding box, no question about that......But in no way is it as good as an RX5350. :lol:
It doesn't have half the bass. Hell it doesn't even have as much bass as an M9994 or a GF9696.
I would compare it to a TPR950 or something along those lines -- maybe a tad bit stronger, but not by much.
It seems to me that calling some boxes 'boom boxes' is a little optimistic.
Maybe a more suitable name is 'Treble Boxes' :-)

koleloi

Member (SA)
Apr 17, 2014
Hochiminh city, Viet Nam
Hi guys, there's one being offered in my country right now. I'm just curious about how it sound. Don't like its look very much so sound quality is what I really concern in that box. Pay attetion because it seems to be a quite rare and special model. Is it comparable with some well-known mid sized boxes such as JVC m70, or Panasonic Rx-5600. BTW, the seller is asking for as much as the National RS-4360DFT I recently acquired, is that reasonable if considering the sound only, and my 4360 sound great.

And how good are the tape desk and radio?

Thanks very much! Cheers,

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
How much was the RS-4360?

The AJ-500 sound pretty nice but it's not very powerful. It's a small box, smaller than the M70 for example and nowhere as loud. I gave away my 5600 so I can't compare them anymore but I think the AJ-500 puts up with that one.

I like the AJ-500. Akai made rather unusual design choices but they work very well on the AJ-500 and will grow on you. The dial light is really nice. And the speakers are actually facing slightly upwards, which is interesting concerning the discussion about shelves that went on above.

I can't tell you anything about the tape deck because I have to get mine to work again. But here's another thing noteworthy: The AJ-500 is great(!) to work on because the case screws connect front and back through a frame. Unscrew, take the back of, take the front of and there you go, you can easily access any section. Good for cleaning purposes, too!

koleloi

Member (SA)
Apr 17, 2014
Hochiminh city, Viet Nam
Thank you for replying Zippy,

Very useful information on the box's design Zippy, and as far as it can put up with the Rx-5600, I may consider submitting an offer soon.

Regards,

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
It sounds better than a 5600, but that's assuming it's working perfectly. Its build quality isn't as good as a Panasonic. The tape deck feels cheap, and all the knobs and keys are just plastic.

koleloi

Member (SA)
Apr 17, 2014
Hochiminh city, Viet Nam
Thanks Reli.

Okie the sound seems to be good enough, but I forgot that built quality is even more important to me, that's why I mostly collect national (panasonic) boxes for Built (and sound) quality.

That box also looks light weight to me, another minus. Huh, There's no way it could cost as much as half my 7700 for sure. Let wait for seller's answer.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
It's rare, so here in the US it would sell for the same amount as a 7700, or maybe even more. Just depends how badly someone wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.