What's the best blaster out there for under $700?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattsonic

Member (SA)
I defer to the superior wisdom of the veterans.
I had no idea that classic boomboxes were fetching so much money these days, and reading the posts on this site has been a real eye-opener. I would love to get a classic ghettoblaster that has size and output, but the models I remember from my youth (the ones I couldn't afford when I was 12/13) are still out of reach (almost): Sharp GF-777, Tecsonic J-1, Discolite Es-555, and even the Conion c-100. I had a great Sharp as a kid, though not the 777z, and before that I had a Phillips and a GE (can't remember the models). I always envied my next door neighbor's Panasonic, which I could have sworn took 12 D batteries.

Anyways, my question to the consensus is what is a great possibly less valuable boombox that has great sound and size but is less desirable by collectors? I just want a box with playback and recording capability on cassette tapes that sounds really great. Thanks in advance, and please forgive my noobiness.

Everyone will have their opinion but my choice for a 'second tier' big , 15 Volt box would be the Sanyo M9998K. Collectors ignore this model a bit due to a lack of bling but for build quality and sound quality it's a great choice. You will catch Sanyo at their peak with this model but due to it's complexity, it's not an easy unit to work on.

Ignore cheap rough examples and look for a nice and fully working/serviced unit. These were a very expensive one piece radio in 1979 but represent a value buy in 2014 :-)

Good luck,

James.... :-)

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Hello new guy! Welcome to the forum.

Ask the question 100 times and you'd get 100 different answers! That's how subjective the issues of sound quality, style and value for money are but James' suggestion is certainly not one that I could argue against. I've seen and heard a good example of the box he mentioned and wouldn't be disappointed to wake up one morning to find that the boombox fairy had left one on my door step.

You'll see lots of support for the JVC M70 here and sure, they're a sweet sounding, well designed and strongly built old thing that should be available for well under your limit however I'd look at some of the Panasonics of similar or slightly smaller size too, as these are astonishingly good to listen to, reliable and - although up & coming in value on eBay just now - still not at all expensive.
As for Sharp; their vast range of different models to suit different tastes is also worth investigating. I enjoy my entry-level GF-9090 as it's an impressive sounding old thing, is easy to work on and as such, a great box for someone who wants to learn something of how to service and repair these things and it has classic looks with solid build quality.

As with anything in life, don't just buy the first one you see that seems cheap! Ideally, try to listen to a few different boxes before making any decisions. I saw that you posted in the other thread about the meet in your area and going along to that would be a great way to hear what's out there as well as getting to meet a bunch of great enthusiasts.

:-)

superlew

Member (SA)
:hi:
Both above responses are great.
Panasonic's are a great starting point to get into the sport - Not just for looks and sound, but they are also perfect for learning your way around a box. They're very serviceable and very reliable. They're also plentiful and you should be able to find the right one at the right price, with minimal patience.
The older Sanyo's are really nice, but as jimmy mentioned above regarding the 9998, not the easiest to wrench on.

Reli

Boomus Fidelis
You can easily get a 777 for $700 or less. There are so many being sold all the time. So if that one really catches your eye, you might as well get it. Panasonics sound great but don't have any street style.

You really need to figure out what kind of style you're looking for first. $700 is too wide of a range, there are only 7-8 models you couldn't buy for that price.

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
It all depends on your luck to find them cheap from good owners. :yes:
Everything that shines is not gold!

There are members here who got mint M90s under $50. One is Lucky Joe! :lol: :lol:

If one can spend time to fix a mint box that is the best option to have a great box under $700.

Patience.....be patient...It took me over 30 years to find a mint JVC RC550, a GF777, an Akai AJ500, panasonic RX5350, Panasonic RX7200 and so on..

If you are looking for a mint box I would say go for an M70. M70 is the overall winner!

If you get lucky go for a Sharp GF9696 in mint condition.

Only if you are very lucky you will get a mint Sharp GF777 for this price or a Sanyo BigBen.

k2j

Member (SA)
Yep m70 is a must have. What it's missing in the looks department is more than made up in the performmce. My favorite in that category is the Sanyo m-x920, a stunning looker, great features and good sound. Ifbyou want a super f'n loud 3 piecer fisher 49x series.

That's based on the ones I have experience with, there are soooo many more to explore.

Reread your post missed the part where you want a working deck...I'm back with my m70 suggestion, piano key deck that just works, sometimes needs belt replacement easy peasy. My new fav the m50. Looks better imo has all features of m70 a better volume knob, bit doesn't perform nearly as well

blu_fuz

Staff member
Best value way under $700 is the M70. Yes you. Can score a M90 for $50 but you have to be so vigilant it will drive you nuts!

Even the conion c100 could be had for $700.

Superduper

Staff member
Jvc kaboom. Cheap & records & blows everything away in terms of bang for the buck. Has tape, CD, radio, aux in for your iPod or other mp3 type device.

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
Superduper said:
Jvc kaboom. Cheap & records & blows everything away in terms of bang for the buck. Has tape, CD, radio, aux in for your iPod or other mp3 type device.
That is correct Norm!
But it looks like a Cylindrical Drum! :lol:
I hate the looks! :thumbsdown:

Reli

Boomus Fidelis
It's also very awkward to carry or move around. The tuner isn't very sensitive either. But if bass is your priority, it's the best.

Styleking

Member (SA)
Like others have said before me: patience brother. You can get about any box you want for under $700, if... you do some leg work. I will promise you this if you rush out and grab the first thing you see there's good chance you'll regret it. :hi:

Superduper

Staff member
a $1000 boombox purchased for $700 might just end up being a $1k boombox that needs work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.